Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

IMO, the deal on the table is more than fair... If he was an elite qb, I'd understand the holdout but No One else wanted him and he kinda sux sometimes...

Quinnenthebeast and Jets69 like this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

At this point maybe someone needs to punch Fitz in the jaw.

Royal Tee, Geno007, NYJetsO12 and 3 others like this.
  3. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Go with geno, I think he has improved and Chan will help him out. Fitz is going to be 34 this year, how much time does he have left anyway? I think Mac miscalculated fitz' stubbornness, he should have signed Hoyer for 2million and then we would be set at qb. Geno starter, Hoyer veteran backup, hack developmental qb.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

At this point, give Fitz ONE YEAR at 12mil then move on in 2017. I don't see any reason why to give Fitz 3 years as I don't think he has 3 effective years left in him. Normally once a player has a "career year", its downhill from there. If they can't agree, then just thank him for his service and move on. Best for everyone.

Leicester Jet and vokab206 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Geno or Pettty over Fitz? Geno is already a starter till RF is signed...BTW how many winning seasons has Geno got us? Petty would be interesting but FYI he has no experience at all. Longterm is Hack too but cmon now (see Petty}

On the other hand Fitz: went 10-6, could improve on that with a little luck, brains, leadership , chemistry and you want someone else hmmm.

We are stuck with Fitz and he with us till the young talent is ready

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+1000

I liked Lynch too ...if Hack sucks and Lynch become the next Ben R I will start throwing things. Apparently he is "smarter" than Lynch so they must have researched both QBs

The journeyman strategy is a joke. I think they at least went 2nd round for a QB which is a switch

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I could play this game too.
    Geno went 8-8 with a tougher schedule, incompetent head coach, no offensive weapons and a shitty OC and QB coaches, what would he do with real weapons and a true NFL caliber offensive coaching staff.

In all honesty, I know we won 8 games in 2013 in spite of Geno not because of him, but in 2015 we won 10 games in spite of Fitz not because of him.

Truth is neither is going to lead you to the promised land or the playoffs next year, go with the cheaper option and start building for the future.

jerseyjay14, tiger8mush and Jets69 like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fuck Fitz at this point, take that money and try and resign Mo going forward.

9. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I still want Fitz back but not at the money being rumored. I fully agree, get Mo locked up and go with one of the options already on the roster at QB. Best case one of them steps and we are set for the future. Worst case, Mac knows what he has and moves forward from there.

tiger8mush likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think the deal structure hints that the plan was to have Fitz start this year and then back up Hack next year in case he falters. Doesn't seem like Fitz enjoys that plan very much.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

They should've signed Hoyer and had he and Geno compete for the job.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets could easy be down to 1 or 2 QBs with Hack and Petty next season and that can be a dangerous situation next year.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Lynch didn't do all that well on the Wonderlic nor apparently in the interview rooms of the teams that were assessing him at the Combine. This is less of an issue if a player comes from a non-option/spread offense and is already fairly well versed in how NFL offenses line up and do business. It's less of an issue if they have run a huddle in the college game. Lynch had neither of those things going for him and he scored a 19 on the Wonderlic and didn't impress with his rapid acuity when pressed in interviews.

Walt White likes this.
  14. Br4d

That's a throwaway on Petty and hope he survives if that happens. The Jets might go get a veteran option if Geno went down to an injury and one was available.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The idea is that he is cuttable after the first year with limited dead money yet can be retained for cheaper than players like Chase Daniels and Nick Foles as a backup.

I highly doubt he'd be our starter beyond this year, but he certainly should be for 2016.

Either way, the Jets just punched him in the nuts by leaking their contract offer and he's going to come back because he just saw Brian Hoyer get $2 million to be a backup with virtually no playing time in his future this season.

Fitz and his agent are throwing away at minimum $12 million (and possibly up to $36 million w/ incentives I read?) to bluff the retirement card. Be my guest. One year out of the league and his careers over.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

why give him 12 when he has no other options and isnt worth half that?

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

fitz already was lucky to get to 10-6. its much more likely we go down from there given the schedule and the unlikely event he reapeats a career year and we stay as healthy as we did last season.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am confused by this logic? We do not sign him because we might be worse? Why don;t we sign him because we might be better? We have most of the team returning more time together better continuity better special teams etc. There is just as much of a chance we are better than we are worse.

I hear career year then the next sentence average season which is it? The bottom-line is if we want to compete this year for a playoff spot and the division we need Fitz.

NYJetsO12, TNJet and JetsNation06 like this.
  19. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

I've been a big Fitz supporter but I'm about over this guy now.

In the real world if you're a manager at a company and your base salary is $75,000 and you have a good year, you don't get a raise to $250,000. He made $3.5 mill last year. Take the $12 mill and bet on yourself. Shut up and get over it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Br4d

$12M on the cap for 2016 is not on the table. $12M cash for 2016 is what's available. That requires $6M a year in the back two years of the deal. It's still more than a fair price for Fitzpatrick at this point in his career.

The way to look at it is: who else is going to give Fitzpatrick a starting job, let alone $8M next season? The answer is nobody.