Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

We can go back every season and look at every team and everyone of them got lucky in some games.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Geno vs Petty.....atleast they can throw the ball over 20 yards down field

Jets69 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

In my heart I would wish Petty, but Geno probably

4. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Smh there would be more interceptions and fumbles than TDs either guy..especially Petty.

5. King Koopa

If Geno or Petty can't even possibly be equal or better than journeyman Fitzy then we are wasting time with them on our roster

Petty never played and Geno was in a garbage situation when he wasn't even mentally ready to play in the NFL clearly

I wonder what Fitz as a rookie would have looked like in the same situation

6. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

So if the deal was bonus incentivized with a $12 million salary this year but it's a $4.7 mill cap hit, why wouldn't Fitz sign a 1 year deal and bet on himself for next off season? That seems best for everyone. Gives a chance for him to prove it and Hack to develop.

7. jetlife21

Cut them both right now then because neither have shit on Fitzpatrick at this point in their careers.

8. jetlife21

There's a reason Decker and Marshall weren't going to support those scrubs as starting QBs and show up first day of OTAs.

9. King Koopa

Do you understand potential, development, upside, and QB Growth?

Why ever draft a QB with your line of thinking? Just throw Hoyer or Fitz or the next journeyman out there every year because they have such accomplished careers

See how far that gets you

10. King Koopa

They've both been positive about Geno numerous times....who knows why they missed OTAs but it's unprofessional and moronic if they would only support Ryan Fitzpatrick

Do you guys ever remember watching Fitzy on another team over the years and being like wow that's a good player? Didn't think so

11. jetlife21

Geno was an intriguing prospect who's development we stunted the hell out of by playing him right away. I wouldn't bet on a career resurgence. Petty has no future imo I'm one of the lowest on him but if he ever has success in the NFL I'll be glad to have been proved wrong. Hackenberg is the QB prospect I'm excited to see us develop and Fitz is the perfect QB to have on the roster while we groom Hack.

12. Geno007

What happens to there "job security" if they sign Fitzs to a deal he not worth? And goes 4-12,5-11,6-10?

13. jetlife21

Very fair point would hurt Mac if Fitz busted but that shit season is much more likely without Fitz. As long as there's no 3rd year guaranteed money in a Fitz deal the move wouldn't hurt us too bad long term.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether it would affect their job security that much. Everyone knows that Fitz isn't a great QB. He's a great leader and has great chemistry with Marshall and Decker, makes quick decisions (which helps the OL), and knows the offense well. Still, everyone is aware of his arm limitations and his tendency to turn the ball over. I think the general thinking would be that he would be "safer" than Geno and would help mentor Petty and Hack. If Fitz signs and plays very poorly for the first 4-5 games I would think that they might give him another game or two, and then if things didn't improve, they'd turn to Geno. I think that, perhaps more than any other reason, would be why they keep 4 QBs on the roster. Petty and Hack probably aren't ready to play. If Fitz struggles, they still have Geno with starting experience. If Geno then plays well, or at least better than Fitz, something could be salvaged from the season. It's not like the Jets had any real options anyway. They didn't have the ammo to trade up for a Wentz or Goff, and didn't have the money to sign an Osweiler. The other jag QBs who were available all have their limitations, and none are really that much better than Fitz or Geno. So I think that unless Woody is a complete doofus with no understanding of the importance of the QB position and no understanding of the constraints Mac had in trying to get a QB, it wouldn't hurt either Mac or Bowles very much, if at all, as far as Woody is concerned. The impatient fans and the media hacks looking to sell papers would be another story, in all likelihood. In that scenario, we'd just have to hope that Woody had enough sense not to listen to the fans or the media.

vokab206 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. Geno007

We don't know if that "shit season likely without Fitz". Fitz has nothing in his past saying he can lead a team to the playoffs. Now if you start Geno and he hasn't changed then you just not resign him and it cost the Jets nothing. Everybody knows Fitz only had the year he had was because of the talent around him. Geno never had near that talent around him. What funny to me is people say that just a excuse us so called "Genobots" use. But these same people will say bring back Fitz and with the talent around him will take the Jets to playoffs. He had almost the same talent around him last season and playing weaker schedule and he still couldn't take the Jets to playoffs. It doesn't matter he won 10 games to me he didn't win the one most important. The people who say it wasn't Fitz fault either are fools or just don't want to admit it.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I see no reason why it would really hurt Mac and/or Bowles for the reasons in my previous post. I think the only thing that would hurt Mac and Bowles would be if he is unable to re-sign Fitz, Geno is made the starter, plays abysmally, and then neither Petty nor Hack are ready to play. Even then, I don't think it would hurt that much, because again, it's not like Mac had a bunch of choices. The only QBs that have been available were either out of the Jets' price range or mediocre jags. There's only so much Mac and Bowles can do.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It isn't so much that Geno got lucky as that he got imcredibly lucky.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

What is stupid is thinking Fitz is the difference between making the SB or not. How anyone can make a statement like that about a QB who has NEVER even made the playoffs is beyond me.

19. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

how is having the same results as the other choices, a better choice?

if we can't make the playoffs with Fitz, what does it matter if he throws more interceptable passes to a better WR core than Geno Smith?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Damn if you do damned if you don't. An 8 mil backup that could make the Ring of Honor??? Really? I hope so...Meet those incentives Fitz

He wants 2 or 3 million more per second and third year? Split the difference and pay him one and a half mil more and get this done Mac...A firestorm of job security and player revolt is coming if you go with Geno. Is it really worth it?

Fitzmajic better come thru and work his chemistry

TNJet likes this.