Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

$12mil is not enough for a mediocre QB, bye Fitz!

Jets69 likes this.
  2. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Why on Earth would anyone want to see another season of throws like that?

3. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

^^^ That's one throw.

I'll take 3900 yards, 33 TD, 15 INT. (incl. 2 rushing TD)
    Now before someone says that's one season, it was his only season with both Chan Gailey AND Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. And with all the veteran talent on this roster, we may very well be one Fitzpatrick away from...(I won't say it) ;)

#3163 Truth4U2, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I rooted for Fitz hard last year but 3 games still really bother me,,both Buffalo games especially the second one with everything on the line ,,,and that Houston game where I really thought he would play with a chip on his shoulder,,,,,,this said if they really offered him 12 million I think that's nuts ! I am prepared to roll with anyone at QB than to pay Fitz stupid money he just is not worth it !

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. Truth4U2

I really think this roster has no weaknesses except for not having a solid veteran QB like Fitz under contract. Maybe the O-line isn't the best, but it's good enough to be functional with all the talent on offense. So we may be one Fitz away from being a legit contender. People put way too much stock in the Buffalo games imo...those were Super Bowls for Rex and company, so they were just playing at a different level than our whole team was, not just Fitz.

Overall Fitz had a great season, and with the rest of the roster all set for a major run, they would be crazy to risk missing on what might be a narrow window over a few bucks. When the old guys like Revis, Marshall, and Forte move on, it won't matter anymore, we'll have to start from scratch pretty much anyway. (add to that a young QB to groom)

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. matt robinson 17

Mildest fall/winter here arguably ever the only bad weather game he shit the bed in Buffalo, not a fan of weak arm QB's with no height, who want ridiculous money

CBG likes this.
  7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If the Jets are offering $12M in year one and a $10M average for 3 years I think it must be the way the contract is set up and the $12M is counting the signing bonus. I say add in some more incentives that if we make the playoffs and he has the year he did last year they will be obtained which would bring him to $11M-$12 M a year and give him a week to sign.

I know Smith sucks and if we don't get Fitz signed By June 6th, it should be an open QB competition, since the other two can’t be worse than watching Smith at QB. Anyone in favor of Smith needs to remember he was the worst NFL starting QB for two straight seasons and the game he started last year sucked too.

If we go into week one with Geno as the starter, there is no hope of the playoffs or a winning season.

TNJet likes this.
  8. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Jets offer is more than fair. Hopefully that Ivy League education will sink in.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I dont get how we have 12 M in cap room why not sign wilkerson long term then? And whats more bothering is how can Fitz refuse 12m lol its ridicolous

CBG, matt robinson 17 and The 1985er like this.
  10. Flymax

Flymax New Member

I guess a week of ota s with Geno was enough..

Fitz really did blow that last game when it was all on the line..
    Sched is brutal this year,

I think he'll do well with all the talent around him

Hope the online holds up

I'd be happy with the signing

11. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Personally I think this was the FO responding to Fitz - Earlier this week, Fitzpatrick broke his public silence and expressed an upbeat attitude about the possibility of a deal getting done - and others making it sound like he was low balled. This news has turned the tables and now Fitz has to make a call

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/0...s-on-jets-contract-offer-to-ryan-fitzpatrick/

Per the article
    $12 million? That’s an entirely different story. That’s the Jets saying “look, we know you’re not getting $8 million anywhere else, but we’re gonna give you $12 million because we know what you mean to us.” That’s the team bending for the player.

The reference to the TDs and the record look at the article and see how many were because of Gailey's scheme or Marshall / Decker & Powell making moves,
    http://presnapreads.com/2016/03/28/chan-gailey-new-york-jets-dont-need-ryan-fitzpatrick/

Another TD here - another bad pass behind the receiver - lucky he was so open or stopped for no gain as Ivory had to reach back
    [​IMG]

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There are about ten other QB's getting paid more than that. Of course, most of them are on strong contending teams or have won SB's in the past. You may think they aren't worth it and maybe a lot of us would agree, but my post was meant to point out what the market is for starting QB's. The market is what the market is. No one wants to be paid to do a job less than someone else doing the same job and not doing it as well. Just trying to look at it from a different point of view.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Well, so much for not taking negotiations to the media. Looks like both sides have leaked their points; the Jets came out with the first year numbers and the Fitz camp rebutted by leaking the second and third years.

Cimini: While it's true the Jets are offering QB Ryan Fitzpatrick a total of $12M in the first year, which sounds like a fair deal, it's the second- and third-year proposals that his camp deems unacceptable. The combined total for 2017 and 2018 is believed to be about $12M, which would make it three years for roughly $24M.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. Truth4U2

This is the best article I've read about the Jets in a long time...smart and hits on all the key points in the Fitz saga...
    http://nypost.com/2016/05/27/ryan-fitzpatrick-may-have-upper-hand-in-negotiations-with-jets/

The players badly want him back, and Decker and Marshall are boycotting OTAs in protest. That says it all. These are vets who want to win now.

"The move by the receivers puts more pressure on Maccagnan. If he did not know it already, the mini-protest sent the message that everyone inside of One Jets Drive not named Geno Smith or Bryce Petty wants Fitzpatrick to be the team’s starting quarterback. Teammates have been vocal about wanting him back all offseason. Coach Todd Bowles has said he is “hopeful” the two sides will get a deal done and said Fitzpatrick will be the starting quarterback when he returns, even though Smith is taking all the first-team snaps right now.

The 33-year-old is the perfect quarterback for this team. The offense is built around veterans, with Marshall (32), Nick Mangold (32), Matt Forte (30), Ryan Clady (30 in September) and Decker (29). Any quarterback other than Fitzpatrick will be a step back from 2015, when they finished one game short of the playoffs. You think guys in their ninth and 10th years in the NFL want to be taking backward steps?
    Maccagnan has made some smart decisions since taking over in 2015. But if he does not find a way to get Fitzpatrick back, he’s going to feel heat that makes these 90-degree days feel like the middle of winter."
    http://nypost.com/2016/05/27/ryan-fitzpatrick-may-have-upper-hand-in-negotiations-with-jets/

#3174 Truth4U2, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  15. matt robinson 17

They are not going to overpay a journeyman QB, because Marshall and Decker like him, I would give his money to Mo he deserves it more than Beardboy

16. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

if they want him back so badly then redo your contracts and make the space. I like fitz he is the best option for the team but they can not over pay

17. Truth4U2

They would be stupid NOT to overpay if it's the difference between making the SB in this small window of opportunity and being the "almost" team we've been for years! ... you have to be willing to "bend" the cap to win a championship; timid franchises who are penny wise and pound foolish never make it. We can worry about fixing the cap after we win a championship. I'm tired of this franchise always playing it safe and never winning it all!

18. matt robinson 17

Once again this journeyman has never made the playoffs, his best chance was this past year and he shit the bed, he's not winning the SB next year or ever, he's not young either and throws rainbows

19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

They aren't making the SB with Fitz, so its stupid to overpay.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. Truth4U2

He didn't "shit the bed", he had the best statistical season of any Jets QB in history, and the only reason we didn't make the playoffs and maybe go all the way was because Rex got his revenge for being screwed over by Idzik who didn't give him half the talent Big Mac gave Bowles. It was so clear in both those games that we seemed to be playing in slow motion compared to the fired up Buffalo squad giving 150% for Rex....and especially in the last game of the season that was a win and we're in game, the whole Jets' team, not just Fitz, was outfought by Rex's squad...something that should have been predictable given what happened to Rex here and the fact that he was hell-bent on revenge.