Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly and even more so--the dude played in this exact system with almost this exact cast of characters for a full season so there is zero learning curve--unlike last year where he didn't have chemistry with any of them.

_

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

When did he miss ALL off season workouts and became the starter for the Jets before? Link? And he's currently not on the roster so he's not the starting QB right now. And I can understand him getting handed the job if he had a body of work that earned him that right. But one good year after being mediocre at best doesn't earn you the right to miss offseason programs and get a job handed to you.

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be surprised if Fitz, Marshall and Deck have been speaking all season long on their opponents, how to attack them, ways to be more efficient etc.

NYJetsO12 and JdotGriff like this.
  4. The 1985er

When did he miss OTA's and mini camps? Link? Besides that he was there practicing and was actually healthy.

barkus likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It is simple, skrine and decker can have most if their bases salaries for the year converted to a bonus. They get money up front and the salaey hit is dispersed over the remaining years. Players get a big check up front they never say no. It is very simple and i would guess the paper work us sitting in the top drawer of macs desk all filled out just waiting on signatures. The cap is not as dire as it is made out to be

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they aren't having an offseason staring contest and considering paying a guy $8 million so he can come in and compete. He earned the starting job with his play last year. He already knows the system and the players. He doesn't need OTAs, mini camp, etc to be the QB. I am very clear on the idea that he is who he is. And that actually makes me more comfortable knowing he'll be ready when the time comes, not less. He's a veteran in this league who knows this current system like the back of his hand. If they signed him for $8million on August 1st and said he's in a battle with Geno Smith it would be laughable

7. The 1985er

Had he signed back in March that would be one thing. But it's May and we have to deal with this distraction especially over a mediocre QB. That's not fair to everybody on the team. And he's not good enough to get handed a job after missing offseason workouts, only a select few QBs could get the right to do that and Fitzpatrick isn't one of them.

8. BrowningNagle

March or May? WTF is the difference? they've had like 2 practices... Fitzpatrick has played 11 years, 5 of them in this current system. What has he missed in these couple months, couple practices, that he needs in order to be the QB?

9. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Ah k, thanks for the break down.

FJF likes this.
  10. JStokes

Are you serious? He had a broken leg and was completely limited in OTAs and I don't think he was even fully practicing at the start of training camp.

And YOU may think he's not the starting QB but that's just some silly semantics. He's not signed but the day he does he's the starting QB.

The only "body" of work that counts with respect to THIS team is what he did last year. And I don't mean that long term--I mean that in the purest sense that this franchise does not give a shit what he did at his other 5 stops (or whatever it is).

He was the unquestioned leader of this offense last year and when he walks in the door, he will own the building again.

If they sign him--and that is a big if--he's the starter day 1. No competition, no sham, none of that.

_

11. The 1985er

Lol at what's the difference, how often does May roll around and a teams supposed starting QB is a free agent? By this time team are beginning to prep for the season and they usually have their QB situation set whether they have their starting guy set in stone or they're having a competition. This situation rarely if ever happens, and this is just an unnecessary distraction.

12. JStokes

And the coaching staff would lose the room.

It's like guys forgot his broken leg last year--he was a 100% afterthought until about a week into training camp.

_

13. The 1985er

No he did not have a broken leg in OTA's and mini camp last year. He was practicing and healthy. Until he's under contract he's not the starting QB.

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

On the contrary: maybe they believe Fitz will be back.

C'mon man, Fitz was recovering from the broken leg all off season and Geno got the most reps. It's that simple. Fitz was a question mark so TB named Geno the #1.
    Immediately after the season ended TB named Fitz the starter for this season if he came back.

btw, after Geno got his ass kicked Fitz stepped right in as the starter.

It's not about being "good enough". It's about the mental part of the game. Geno jockstraps should be glad Geno is getting the reps now, because in the mental part of the game Geno needs a ton of work, a ton.

15. JStokes

Dude. He was healing from a broken leg. Geezuz. This is from almost exactly one year ago.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/how_does_jets_ryan_fitzpatrick_think_his_broken_le.html

At this point, the coaches haven't been able to get a complete read on Smith or Fitzpatrick. The Jets have held just six no-pads, no-contact practices, including three OTA sessions this week. That means minimal pass-rush pressure for Smith during 11-on-11 team periods — and none for Fitzpatrick, since he isn't participating in team periods.

Fitzpatrick has been limited to position and 7-on-7 drills (with no pass rush) because of a broken leg he sustained in mid-December. He feels much better now, but knows he likely won't fully participate in practice until training camp begins in late July. The Jets' training staff wants to take a precautionary approach with Fitzpatrick right now, and make sure he avoids even incidental contact that could happen in 11-on-11 periods.

"It's good," Fitzpatrick said of his rehab process. "Just taking it slow, but it's good. I think I'm on pace, just like I kind of have been, with the schedule that's been set. Hopefully, pretty soon, I'll be able to get out there and do some stuff with all the guys."

Fitzpatrick said he isn't sure if he'll be able to do any 11-on-11 periods when the Jets hold their mandatory minicamp June 9-11. Those will be their final practices before training camp.

"It's still a process, kind of a week-by-week thing," Fitzpatrick said. "I've got no idea. Each week, I'm going to try to do a little bit more on my leg, and just see how it responds. Right now, so far, so good."

Fitzpatrick said he couldn't put a percent on the health of his leg.

"The healing process is going well," he said. "So there's just a lot of stuff I'm trying to get back to normal. But in terms of the bone and everything, it's not going to snap on me again."
    _

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Mehta is so full of crap he should have a plunger stuck on his head.

17. JStokes

It's like people forgot what happened last offseason. Fitz was an after thought.

Training camp started, Fitz got healthy around the time Geno got himself punched in the face and Fitz took it and ran with it.

_

18. Walt White

Costello had a companion article that came out around the same time last night. He couldn't help himself. That's who he is. He should have a plunger stuck up his ass. What a fuckin cunt

#2978 Walt White, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  19. Walt White

More like they make up their own story to fit what they want to believe, or want to happen. Seems to happen all the time.

You could analyze the whole season and come up a shit load of single plays that cost the team wins all season. But that INT is the only thing they want to look at, or they want to think about when talking about where the whole fucking team fell short. The good things that got them to where they were apparently don't matter or are not up for consideration anymore

Geno007 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

haha, okay. Hypothetically, The day before training camp the Jets sign Ryan Fitzpatrick to a deal worth $7 million annually. They announce "but he's not our starter. He missed OTAs and minicamp so now he will compete with Geno Smith for the job"

do you think anyone takes that seriously? We would laugh at that on this board. ESPN would have their fun. The players would laugh!

I thought the days of sham QB competitions died with Rex Ryan!
    Hell that might even be part of Fitzpatrick's plan and the Jets even know it. Veterans don't like to come to minicamps and OTAs. That might even be the stall in negotiations. Fitz will sign but he's going to stay home until he absolutely has to show up. The Jets know it and oh well

abyzmul likes this.