Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

In before Mehta goes with the "Wilkerson is holding out because Woody endorsed Trump" angle. Won't even surprise me.

hornblower likes this.
  2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Why does anyone still think Geno Smith has a future anywhere in the NFL? He has a void between the ears and as far as I know lobotomies still aren't available

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Hhahahaha. I love your post talking about Smith's lacking between the ears while seemingly not understanding what a lobotomy is. Epic irony.

4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Yeah because Fitz has proven he can lead a team to the playoffs.

hornblower likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno is going to be the starter if Fitzpatrick is not signed. We might just have to deal with that. The team is somewhat capped anyway barring outstanding QB play and there's no reason to believe Geno couldn't muddle his way through to 8-8 just as well as Fitzpatrick could.

On the Fitzpatrick negotiations: only idiots bid against themselves and right now the Jets are the only bidder for Fitzpatrick's services. I don't care how hard his agents try to sell, if they're selling into a one team market, well the Jets offer is the market.

If I'm the Jets my next offer is marginally lower than my last offer to make this crystal clear. Call it a fine for holding out if you will but make sure that the message that 2016 compensation is drying up gets through.

twown likes this.
  6. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

If Decker wants Fitz back so badly he should restructure his deal to help the Jets have more space. Same goes to other complaining players.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there are folks here that will call me crazy for this but I dont care: I dont think there is much drop off between a Fitzpatrick and a Geno Smith. If he signs, he signs. If not roll with Geno. I don't think we're making the playoffs with either anyway

MoWilkBeast, hornblower, FJF and 3 others like this.
  8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Put it like this if Fitzpatrick was signed would Marshall and Decker miss OTA's? I doubt it. But that's my speculation.

Plus let me add that Fitzpatrick isn't good enough to miss offseason workouts and then step in in late July/early August and get the starting job handed to him. I could see if we are talking about Brady or Brees. If he signs at the 11 o clock hour then he should have to earn it again.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why not? They read it on the internet.

"Bone Jore!"

Jets69 likes this.
  10. Br4d

At the level of play either is capable of the difference is largely perception at this point. The perception of your teammates of your leadership qualities is important.

I think we win 8 games either way without some real luck but we'll be happier with Fitzpatrick than Geno in the process as fans.

If we somehow won 12 games we'd be much happier with Geno than Fitzpatrick because Geno is the young guy we have under contract but the odds on that kind of season are pretty long at this point.

11. BrowningNagle

I disagree big time with that. Fitzpatrick knows Chan Gailey's system more than anyone playing QB right now on this earth. He's also a long time vet in this league. And training camp is less important to vets anyway. They could sign him the week of the first game and he could step in and not be too much different than how he has always played. It wouldn't be ideal- you'd like to get him in sooner to shake off some of the rust- but he doesn't need training camp. And as soon as he signs on the dotted line he's the starter. There will be no competition. Not sayin he is a shoe-in to start 16 games, but he's a shoe in to start week 1 if he signs. as well he should be.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I believe this is the last year of Geno's contract

13. BrowningNagle

the perception of his teammates and his leadership qualities are the biggest thing Fitzpatrick has going right now, yes. Marshall has been a bitch in the past and he really seems to like Fitzpatrick. I can see that as the prevailing reason why I'd like to see him back- it goes a long way in the locker room when young players can see a team that meshes, regardless of personal abilities, wins/losses. Because I think personal abilities with Geno/Fitz are the same, I might even give the edge to Geno.

But you don't want young players coming up in a system where everyone is just in it for themselves. Whether that's Geno's fault or not, he doesn't seem to command the respect of his teammates and I could see a season where everyone just plays for themselves. With Fitz even if we lose horribly, we'd lose as a team. That's important for young players to see. Greg McElroy described his time with the Jets as "toxic." I dont think its a coincidence that we also never saw any young players develop out of that "toxic" offense.

14. Br4d

The Jets would have to make an offer during the season as things unfolded. That timing would be perfect for the team because Geno would have no idea if he could get a huge deal on the open market. Maybe make the offer at the 10 game mark with the Jets 7-3 or 8-2 for $14M a year for 5 years (assuming he was having a really good season in the process). It's hard to say no to $25M guaranteed after 10 games when you have no idea if you're going to still have that kind of pull at the end of the season.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He's Ryan. Fitzpatrick. That's my point. He is not an elite level QB or a QB that has been consistent year after year, to step in and get a starting job after missing time. He's not good enough for that.

RexontheBeach and hornblower like this.
  16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Veteran players hate OTA's. This holdout stuff is a myth.

17. Br4d

This is a huge factor. The Jets need to get away from the entitled "My Money" culture and towards a team oriented, win oriented culture.

The Revis effect has crippled the Jets ability to retain young talent at a reasonable price. It may take an ownership change to alter that dynamic but I think Woody Johnson has a real chance to get things back on track by letting his football people handle the negotiations and not pressuring them to sign players at very high prices. It's very hard for a billionaire to make the case to a football player that he's asking for too much money. Much easier to do that with a layer of insulation between that will not bend.

#2957 Br4d, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    NYJetsO12 and Jetaho like this.
  18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Other than the fact that he pretty much did that last year and following that year he was the unquestioned leader on offense, you're right.

Know one is saying he's Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

He's the starting QB of the Jets until he's not. He steps into the building and he's the starter, no application needed.

_

19. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

It's not simple if the players won't take the paycut/restructure. As it stands we don't know what they did or didn't do outside of asking Brick to rework his deal.

20. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Huh? Isn't this scenario exactly what played out last summer? Fitz was recovering from a broken leg and missed all of the off season program. Geno gets punched, Fitz is handed the starting job and then has a career season.

So yes, he could just walk on this summer and be good enough to win the starting position. (Ignore my post if I missed your intended sarcasm)