Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

That helped , but bad coaching decisions only help so much. It still took the players to do what they did.

Fitz made the throws in both games.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

No doubt. That can be said in every game and in every season.

But seriously. Those were some horrible calls. Going for it on 4th in the redzone when a fg puts you up 2 scores (if memory serves me correct) and choosing to kick the ball to start OT... Seriously, if we're saying the biggest reason we won those two games... Shitty coaching

Jets69 likes this.
  3. irishwhip03

I agree to an extent. Its a weird situation because if we lose those 2 games , nobody remembers the bad coaching decisions , and its just chalked up to the offense not getting it done.

But last years team , just like this years team with Fitz , IMO , is an 8-8 team that with a little bit of luck/good fortune , could win 10 games.

4. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Gailey and Fitz were together for how many seasons in Buffalo plus 1 here - but no playoff runs. Fitz threw multiple picks when Gailey was his OC and has made so many "not smart" throws it is not funny

This pick thrown back then was so reminiscent of the final game for us last year Vs Bills - 2nd int he threw in that game too
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...093122/Ryan-Fitzpatrick-end-zone-interception

I'm not sold on Geno and even if he lit it up he would be too much of a risk to sign next year as the $$ he would want would be as ridiculous as what Fitz reportedly wants this season.

Giants gifted us the win - one of the reasons Coughlin lost his job,

Here is our 2015 record - where we beat 2 playoff teams (Redskins and Patriots) and of the rest of the teams we played only 1 - the Texans made the post season. Top notch opposition we overcame last year
    http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2015/REG/JETS

Try this link to see what a great job the Cowboys did and how we still barely beat them
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20151...gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000604786&tab=recap

Just do not see Fitz as a saviour who will make that next step either - if he was then others would make offers - Denver was not interested and they have serious weapons and a smothering D in place

That is why so many here worry about what happens when we face 5 playoff teams out of the gate in 2016 with the Ravens, Rams and Colts all in a better position than last year and better opponents than the Jags, Titans and Browns

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't understand why any Jets fan would talk down on Fitzpatrick's season last year. He played really well. He had a great supporting group, including Marshall and Decker as targets, but many QB's do. He played his 2 WORST games against Rex and the Bills. That was upsetting, no doubt, but not enough to assume or even consider Geno could do similar. Obviously Geno is done as a Jet, only Geno people don't get that yet. Hackenberg is the future, but think back to Chad Pennington. A 1st Round Pick who sat behind Vinny for 2 years. No reason Hack can't do the same with Fitz in 2016 and 2017 if Fitz continues to play at an above average level.

6. irishwhip03

He wasnt great in Buffalo , but he did have his best seasons there. He's an average QB who could put together a good season , like he did last year. I dont think any pro-Fitz guy here is saying anything different.

I watched the games last year , I dont need to go back and read facts that support why Fitz isnt a great QB. I remember all the bad things last year from him , but to me there were just more good things from him , that all cant be viewed in the stat sheet.

To me there is a reason no other team made him an offer. And a lot of it has to do with the fact that he is the perfect option for us and not many other teams (if any). And that doesnt change my opinion on him at all.

I think if he signed with Cleveland or Los Angeles he would be a disaster. And there is a reason for that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Agree with 90% of what you say - the concern is what will happen when we go up against better caliber teams this year and that Fitz will regress just like he did in Buffalo. If you think he can change you have to consider that option for others too and see what happens and I'm never willing to give up a Jet until he is cut / traded - sad part of being a fan is the eternal optimist requirement needed - particularly if you follow the Jets

Too little football activity and too much time to discuss "what ifs" TBH

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Regarding Geno, sure he can improve however it's not an accurate comparison to Fitz. The reason being is Fitz has already proven to be a capable starter who can win 10+ games in this league and Geno has not. If Geno already had a good year then I would agree with you but he hasn't done it yet. You don't mess with something if it ain't broke. That's why I don't get how some people can just say let's give the young guys a shot and not go with a QB and an offense who has another year of seasoning under their belts.

I do agree that record is not always indicative of QB play as the Broncos demonstrated last year. However you know that when you're the QB you get the glory when you win and the blame when you lose.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

plus he broke pretty much every single season Jets QB record

1) he was number 2 all time with 3905 yards. Just 102 yards behind Namath (from 1968). and he missed some snaps. Geno threw for 265 yards in those snaps. He could have broken Namath's record. The next closest to fitz was Ken o Brien in 1985 (31 years ago.) In Short, most passing yards by a Jet QB in over 45 years

2) Number 1 in TD passes breaking Vinny's record from 1998

3) His QB rating is in the top 5 best seasons (minimum 10 games played) of any jet QB. Chad twice, vinny, and slow B make the other 4 best QB rating years

4) He had a 2.0+ TD to INT ratio, 1st time for a jets QB since Chad in 2002 (14 years)

So while Fitz may not be the best QB in the NFL, he's the best one we've had in a long time

10. Will

Will Well-Known Member

When was Fitz on a 10+ win team - last years 10-6 record was to my knowledge his best ever return and the closest he came to the playoffs. When did he guide a team to 11 wins - NEVER

I am not saying that Geno is a winner who will get us to 10 wins if he starts but equally I am not on the Fitz bandwagon and if he does not resign will not gnash my teeth and feel it prevented us winning a Super Bowl.

Simple rule - support who ever starts Week 1 under centre and hope for the best

And still garnered no interest around the league - why???? When I read why college QBs do not translate their production I hear pundits say the scheme repeatedly - here we had an OC who played to Fitz's strenghts a weak schedule with teams who really did not perform in 2015 and for the first time in a long time 2 quality WRs = perfect set of circumstances for the QB to deliver and even then he had some horrible outings

11. irishwhip03

Well if thats the case , what would happen when a much inferior QB like Geno Smith has to go up against those defenses? Id rather take the risk that we might be average with Fitz then terrible with Geno.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Well said.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Fitz still has not signed and is looking to be paid high end starter money to this point - last time some one paid him that he crashed and burned = well above what anyone who supports him and feels he is "an adequate starter" or above "average back up" gets - Hoyer took $2 million for crying out loud

We have no idea what has happened with Geno over 2015 with a year to sit and learn - his outing against the Raiders was solid when replacing Fitz. Would want to see him in OTS'a and camp before I'd absolutely write him off but again why overpay Fitz and as a result be forced to cut some of the depth that we need on special teams - damned if you do damned if you dont

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You do realize that 10+ wins means 10 or more wins, right? I never said he won 11 games. Reading comprehension is apparently not your strong suit. You don't need to be on the Fitz bandwagon. You just need to realize he's done it before and Geno has not. You can't argue that.

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That's a fair post...I just happen to be on the other side of the fence because I don't think the proven thing (Fitz) is good enough....that's basically all it comes down to. I prefer the unknown vs. the known that while safe and OK, and maybe even ultimately the best option, is just not going to get it done in my eyes.

16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I have no clue how much better Geno will look and has improved

The Geno that struggled and was inconsistent we would have probably been like 9-7 or 8-8 last year IMO but that's not the Geno I would hope to see going forward

I also said that the majority of our wins (not all) Fitz was along for the ride

17. Will

Will Well-Known Member

And my point was that last year was the only time he did this - in 10+ seasons he posted 10 wins just once - last season when he had the perfect OC, strong weapons and a really weak set of opponents - are you really convinced he can do better next season without that perfect set of circumstances repeating and when the last time he got a big pay out he regressed the following year BADLY

I think we know Fitz's ceiling better than unknowns and it is not overly high IMO

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Speaks volumes on how awful our franchise is in terms of productivity from the QB position. Hopefully Petty or Hack break those records in like 2 or 3 seasons.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

20. irishwhip03

Nobody knows. But we've all seen Geno play before. He's never had the look of a QB that can be successful with good players around him. He might not have had Marshall in 2014 but he had Ivory , Decker and Harvin.

With a better QB we had the ability to be an average offense in 2014 and he couldn't even provide that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.