Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Absolutely agreed. Wouldn't be surprised if a deal is announced one day this week now. Fitz knows it's close, otherwise he would not have done that interview today. Heck, it might even be announced tonight.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I hope you're right.
    want him to sign and get it over with.

NYJetsO12 and Truth4U2 like this.
  3. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I had a different take on it. I thought when he said "I'm playing football next season", it was a bit of frustration leaking out. I think he's not sure when, or even if, a deal will ever get done, could be weeks or even months away still, but overall he is being a professional and team leader by refusing to negotiate through the media. He said he wants to keep it behind closed doors, and that it's a process.....that shows maturity and that he wants to set a good example for the organization.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n-fitzpatrick-im-playing-football-next-season

Also, from that article it didn't sound like he "did an interview", but that someone spotted him at a charity golf outing, caught him by surprise and that's why he made that comment revealing a bit of frustration; it was a credit to him that he was able to keep his composure though and keep it behind closed doors.

#2783 Truth4U2, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    King Koopa likes this.
  4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I listened to his interview and I didn't get the impression that a deal was close but I don't think that means it won't ever happen

Just seemed like business as usual to be honest aka nothing's changed

5. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Just been watching the first game from last year Vs the Browns.

@ 10:10 to go in the second Qtr and Jets trailing by 7 on the Browns 38 saw Fitz zone in on Marshall on a 1st & 10. The pass was a play fake which lacked power and was both wobbly and well short of the receiver just inside the 20 yrd line and get picked off by Gibson. Thankfully Marshall stripped the ball and recovered to get momentum back again - it was a bad pass with poor judgement where he was lucky to get away with it. What if Marshall had not done that and the Browns kept the early momentum - our D had just let two long Browns drives take place and the O failed to convert on a 4th down. That was a pivotal play where he got lucky.

Worse I watched bits of the last game Vs the Bills he was so like the Fitz I recall we played when he was a Bill and regularly had other AFC East teams in trouble but when the pressure came on he threw int after int. We had multiple chances to get the W and go to the playoffs but he failed to deliver and threw 3 ints - why will that change next year???

For all those who dump on Geno I think we need take the rose coloured glasses off when we look at Fitz and look at how many times he failed to deliver the deep ball and how many times he had a lucky break for us.

As for the sacked percentage I doubt all was on Geno - we had WRs who really sucked and could not get open even if the OLine held up and on multiple occasions when teams blitzed the guards wilted and let pressure up the gut causing a sack.

Fitz is an adequate QB who will not get us over the hump - a journeyman who played on multiple different teams over the past few seasons for a reason - he is not elite by any stretch of the imagination. For me his interview saying he will play elsewhere is trying to get a bit of interest from other teams whilst making some noises - "I had a lot of fun playing last year. I want to continue to play," he said. "I'd love to continue to play with the guys that I played with last year. In terms of the dollars and cents, that's not really something I'd like discussing right now. There's a negotiation going on, and we'll keep it behind closed doors." Will a 1 year deal work and let others develop - maybe and what mentoring would he give but not sure he can lead us any further than he did last year.

Either way I don't see either Fitz or Geno on the roster next year

6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The next person to use to word elite when describing Fitz , would be the first. Nobody thinks he's elite. But he is/was/would be , the best option for this current team at QB. And that should be all that matters to any Jet fan that wants to watch a halfway decent team this season. The money he gets shouldn't matter and his track record with our "weak" schedule last season compared to our "difficult" schedule this year shouldnt matter either.

Not many people expected 10 wins last year , so who knows what this years team could do. All I know is the chances of us going further rely on Fitz being the QB and not Geno.

NYJetsO12 and TNJet like this.
  7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

"I would like to be back."

Then stop listening to your unrealistic agent and sign on the dotted line, you douche. Or stop hanging around team functions like some jaded ex-employee.

SonofDinger and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Fitz was one of the main reasons we were 10-6 last year when no one had us winning more than 8 games to start the year.

The anti-Fitz opinion is Fitz played as well as he could ever play last year and will not get us over the hump. Blah Blah Blah. These people must have a crystal ball because they're not basing this off of what he did last season which is his most recent body of work on the field.

I can only judge Fitz on what he's done as a Jet which is win and he's now in his 2nd season at the helm so the chemistry and timing of the offense should only improve over last season. Add to that Forte and possibly Amaro breaking out and I don't believe those who say he'll take a step back. I also don't put a lot of stock in schedules as the NFL changes drastically every year.

I'd be much more inclined to say the Jets are in the playoff hunt with Fitz this year than bet against that.

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol "elite"--I missed that one. Nobody here has ever claimed Fitz is elite or great or a franchise QB or the future or actually even really good.

He's a middle of the road professional QB capable of managing an offense and leading a team.

Full stop.

Until one of the young guys are ready.

_

irishwhip03 likes this.
  10. JStokes

Yup.

_

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Bingo.

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I just don't think Fitz was a big reason we were 10-6...I did a game by game breakdown and a large majority of the games we won we could have ran the ball every down (almost serious) and just wrecked havoc on defense as we did. If it sounds ridiculous to you go back and check out each game individually yourself

We had 6 true road games (London and Giants Away) with a bunch of scrubs and basically a shutdown defense that caused multiple turnovers in most of our wins

Anytime we actually needed Fitz to put up points and go win us the game because we scored 3 points in the first half he failed miserably

As far as a crystal ball...how come many fans assume Geno can't improve as if he will be a rookie forever? Don't be hypocritical (not you just some jets fans in general)

I do think Fitz can be OK because of the reasons you mentioned but it just annoys me that just because we had a winning record it automatically means the QB was the reason

Section 336 likes this.
  13. JStokes

You guys are starting to convince me. Now I'm thinking more and more we didn't win BECAUSE of Fitz but in SPITE of him. We really should have been 4-12.

We should have just run the ball on every play and we would have made the playoffs.

Fuck it--lets start Tommy Bohanan at QB.

_

14. irishwhip03

In your opinion then , if Geno plays 16 games , or 15 full as Fitz played , what would our record have been?

If its anything worse than 10-6 then it proves he has a pretty big reason in us getting to that record.

To me he was the biggest reason we won the Giants and Pats game. And if Marshall hangs onto that TD in the earlier game against the Pats , maybe we win that game too.

Outside of the middle games against Oakland, Buffalo and Houston (where Fitz wasnt 100 percent) , he played at an above average level. Also why couldnt that "amazing" run game and defense step up for him in those games?

I dont believe for a second that in every win he was just along for the ride and in every loss he was the reason we lost.

15. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Anyone who can only judge Fitz on what he did as a Jet is fooling themselves - he has been in the league for a long time and has put a lot of tape out there for teams to review.

He had a greater body of work in 2015 than Ostweiler and had better numbers HOWEVER no team in the NFL has really gone out and paid him or even put any ype of offer on the table bar the Jets - they all realise that 2015 was as good as it gets as he had multiple other chances in previous stints elsewhere to deliver and he was so average that none of those teams kept him - even as a bridge. How else do you explain 4 teams in 4 years??

Ohh sorry he was still developing and suddenly blossomed in 2015 and will get even better with age - hmmm what are the odds and which other QB in the history of the game did so. Average back up who held up well in a weak schedule - Ivory also let go this off season had only 2-3 truely dominant games and too often went 2 yrds and stopped so no I don't think we can just run the ball but if teams are not afraid of the deep ball they can cover the short game and make life miserable.

For me I actually put a lot of the success in 2015 at the feet of Chan Gailey - we finally had an OC who actually understands how to force mismatches and not the previous 3, Shotty who loved to over complicate every thing and over game plan for an opponent rather than play to our strengths, Sparano - the weirdest choice as he had never play called and had no background and our offense stunk followed by Marty ball throw too often when you have no quality WRs and forget the run game as Rex floundered around for some kind of an offensive output, also oversaw the lowest output by an Offense "The Jets scored fewer than 300 points in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1995-96 -- aka the Rich Kotite years."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...-nfls-toughest-jobs-coaching-the-jets-offense

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. JStokes

Lol yes that's what we've all been saying, that he blossomed last year and will get better with age.

Geezuz fuck.

_

JetsNation06 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. irishwhip03

You're not factoring in the system that Gailey brings plus the offensive weapons around him. Who cares what he did in Houston , St Louis and the other 19 places he played. He never had anywhere close to the talent that we have here now and was playing in a system that didnt fit his skill set.

Why is this hard to understand?

18. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I specifically stated for me Gailey was the biggest part of the success

And why do you ignore that other QBs on the roster did not have this previously either - was it Fitz being so much better or that the QB who started had better weapons and an OC who has a system that makes the most of what the QB has - by your argument you have to forget what Geno did prior to Gailey and the additional weapons being in place if you want to ignore Fitz's 4 poor seasons where the team got rid of him

Why is that so hard to understand??

#2798 Will, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Shitty coaching decisions were the biggest reason we beat the Giants and the Pats.

20. irishwhip03

Because the other QB's on the roster are either not as good as Fitz or are flat out not ready to be an NFL starter.

Sometimes QB's and OC's just fit. Fitz and Gailey can take their combo to any team in the league and be atleast somewhat successful depending on what offensive weapons are around them.

Flat out I dont think Geno Smith is a smart QB. Both on the field and off the field. Fitz is smart in both.