Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Even if Geno didn't improve much, he's still a good backup on a rookie deal. The only way I would cut him is if Fitz re-signs and Petty beats him out.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Love how some of these dudes simply can't understand (i) the factors for why he's still on the roster or (ii) that he was only nominally the starter because there were no better options. That is until he got his face busted and Fitz healed up and took over the offense.

_

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

"Average" works given the options. If you can't admit "average" and still maintain "sucks", then your agenda is obvious.

_

5. HomeoftheJets

Absolutely. There's no reason to declare a veteran newcomer with a broken leg the starter over your young incumbent unless the vet beats the incumbent out. The deal was that Fitz becomes the starter if he blatantly outperforms Geno in the preseason or Geno sucks in the first couple/few games. But we never got there because of the punch.

My point is that Geno was never beating Fitz. The real "competition" wasn't going to start until the preseason.

6. HomeoftheJets

According to Deflatriot fans, Goodell lets us get away with anything. So why can't we pay Fitz 7M in base salary and 7M under the table? :)

7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

This would suggest that if Fitz were to go down for an extended period (4 plus games) that we would be alright. Im not so sure that is the case.

I think we all need to root for either Petty or Hackenberg to outshine Geno in the preseason so they can get the backup reps and be groomed as the possible starter in 2017.

To me the team benefits more with Geno not on the roster at all.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

What kind of message are we sending out to other players by not rewarding a player who had great season and yet is being low balled? hmm.............

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fitz is getting a big time pay raise in comparison to last year. The difference between a QB like him and Brock is the Texans are paying also for POTENTIAL. We've seen the best of Fitz.

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

IMO this is the single best argument that the Jets are significantly better with Fitz than with Geno.

As passers, they aren't going to be too different. But Fitz concealed a very subpar OL with great pocket awareness and escapability. He created so many plays with his feet that you're sacrificing if you put a rookie or Geno back there.

NYJetsO12, Ralebird and Walt White like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There actually is a better argument than this: Opening your eyes and watching the games. :D:cool:

12. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Geno, Petty, and Hackenberg have the same amount of playoff appearances as Fitz. The Jets offered Fitz more than a reasonable amount of money for his worth to the team. If we were a Fitzpatrick away from Super Bowl contention, I would be the president of the pay Fitz 15 million a year club. He is an average QB with a really cool beard. and a very likeable guy, but not a 15 million a year QB.

NYJetsO12, FJF and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

based on Fitz's interview today it sounds like he's returning pretty soon.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

That plus Wilkerson. And maybe also when they shipped Revis out.

Really weird statements by Fitz. He just gave away any leverage he may have had. Good news for Jets.

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Nothing....we have no cap room

Jets will keep their players and sign other players if they pay and it's really that simple

If Fitz deserved more money he would have got it somewhere else.....you think if the Broncos or Browns offered him an average starting QB salary he would have passed on it?

He deserves what the market is offering just like everyone else out there...if its backup money tough shit and play better if you don't like it

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

For the first time I'm not optimistic that Fitzpatrick will be back with the Jets next year. He clearly does not understand his actual value in the market at this point, which is strange for an Econ major from Harvard. That's going to lead the Jets to make another move at some point and then it will be all over for Fitzpatrick as a Jet. The Jets don't have the cap space readily available even to cover the offers they've made to him at this point. They're going to have to rework some deals if he suddenly says yes.

I can't help thinking at this point that the Jets are secretly hoping that somebody else signs him so they don't have to deal with this and the Mo situation at the same time.

17. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Contrary to what some here would think , Fitz isnt dumb. He knows that the team won the power struggle and he'll eventually "cave" for a 2 year deal with less annually and more guaranteed money.

His comments today prove that he has zero leverage left in this negotiation. The only thing he can hope for is a starting QB has some freak injury at OTA's and another team reaches out to him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Fitz will be back by TC. Much ado about nothing.

19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure if they will sign him or not....I'm pretty confident that the Jets are going to hold steady on their offer and it's up to Fitz if he will lower his demands or not

It's hard to predict what Fitz is going to do so who knows.

I would say it's like 60/40 he will be back if I had to guess