Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why burn another draft pick? Cleveland probably won't go with 4 QBs. They'll cut one at the end of TC. The Jets could then sign McCown or Davis (whichever one is cut). The draft pick and RGIII aren't going anywhere.

donkey likes this.
  2. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

7th round pick. You can buy one of those. We'll get extra picks next year for compensatory and/or you can make it a conditional pick like the Fitz deal.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I fully support this strategy. Quite frankly I think both Fitz and some of the fans have overestimated his true value. If he doesn't come to his senses, pick up one these two for reinforcements, give Geno a shot to steal the limelight. Petty and Hack can sit in the wings and practice Chan's system and may the best young talent take over next year.
    One thing is clear in my mind, barring major injuries, we will be fielding a faster, better and much deeper team at almost every position, including special teams, and WR/TE/RB. The QB selected should have all the tools at his disposal, and his main responsibility is not to carry the team on his shoulders, but make sure not to make mistakes that cause us to loose it.

NYJetsO12, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Jets are too damn patient with him. Should have given him a deadline two weeks ago. JMO

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Still, the point remains that most likely, Cleveland will cut either McCown or Davis (probably McCown due to his age and the size of his contract). The Jets could sign him as a FA, and not have to use a draft pick. The Jets need additional picks. Just because they may get a compensatory pick next year (and that's in question), that's not a reason to trade another draft pick after Mac already traded one in the draft to get Shell. What difference does it make if it's conditional? It's still a draft pick, and the other team has to agree to that.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

What's the rush exactly?

HomeoftheJets and Ralebird like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You can't acquire a quarterback three days before opening day and toss him in there. We saw this with Dallas in acquiring Cassel this year mid season and it took him a month to crack the lineup over hot garbage.

If Fitz is definitively not budging by mid-July I'd imagine we hit the panic button and go get McCown.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Lets say Brady after a 4 game suspension , he gets hurt. What team in the AFC is dominate? None,KC,Oakland,Pitts.... It is wide open.... We could be the dominate team. Forte,Marshall,Decker,Revis,Mangold,Wilk,and etc. We are a QB away and we have a guy who put up great numbers in our OCs system,yet we are all saying lowball the guy. Why? The guy did choke in a big spot. Rexes superbowl. We know how powerful those games can be for a Rex team. We had a few of those games against Brady and he looked as bad as Fitz did against the Bills. That being said those games did not define Brady and maybe we should not define Fitz base on the 2 Bills games as well. We are build to win now and we have the weapons, we should not get cheap about the final piece

9. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Unless we can trade Mo we don't have the money to sign Fitz in the 8-10 million range. We could cut Folk and Breno which I think might get us about 7-8 million, but you don't want to do those moves until you see how their replacements play in training camp and some of that 7-8 million has to be held back so you have some reserve. We can't trade Mo until he signs the tender and he likely won't do that until either near the end of trading camp or if he's traded and has a deal with a new team. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the jets tried to trade him pre-draft and he couldn't reach agreement with the proposed trading partner.

I believe the jets may not want to sign Fitz until training camp in any event because they want to take a good look at Hack and figure out if he may be ready to start at some point during the year. If they determine that they think he will be ready to start this year then Fitz is gone and they won't resign him at all. They'll go with Geno until they think Hack is ready and then put Hack in there. Even if they think Hack may not be ready this year they may still not sign Fitz because I'm sure this entire situation pissed the Jets front office off. If that's true then they'll keep talking about Fitz in positive terms until he comes to the table and then they'll cut their offer significantly.

NCJetsfan, twown and FlaJet like this.
  10. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

None really but I for one would like to know where we stand with this hold up. I am really tired of of his hold out.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Fitz STILL thinks he's 18m/yr QB, somebody better tell him to get his head out of his ass. Quick.

If Fitz doesn't sign the deal by June, Jets should pull the offer too. If he wants to retire, so be it.

FlaJet likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Namath, Curtis Martin all want Fitz to sign already. Guy has to put up or shut up

Most teams have their QB settled in by May...June quickly followed by July

I would be actively be pursuing McCown now and don't wait till after Cleve trims roster...lotsa other teams may be needing a back up. We need a plan B

FlaJet likes this.
  13. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Agree. The benefit of fitz not being here for minicamp is that the team can get extended work with the young guys. Fitz better be careful, if geno looks good that may give the team more confidence and they may decide they don't need fitz at all. Plus they can get more reps for hack and petty to be ready if geno craps the bed.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If McCown was to get cut he would most likely give the Jets the edge in picking him up since he would view it as his best chance at a starting position. I don't see any reason they should waste a draft pick, especially since this is McCown we are talking about.
    If they can't sign Fitz, I guess seeing is McCown becomes available would be an option but at this time I am just saying screw them all, use that money to sign Mo long term and let Smith, Petty and Hack battle it out in camp.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its amazing how stats can blind people these days. I personally think this has dragged on long enough, but I wouldn't be suprised if that have a wink and nod deal in place.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jets69 likes this.
  16. largojetfan

largojetfan Member

Can someone explain to me why all of a sudden Josh McCown is a QB teams will want? He is less than mediocre at best and we already have at least 2 of those on the roster. I would rather Geno than McCown as he has been in the offense. With the offensive weapons the Jets have, any QB will just have to not turn over the ball. I will assume that last year was a learning and growing experience for Geno. McCown is nothing. Pass...

Freddy Mondo and FJF like this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Macc had to be thinking if Geno starts and does well he's only months away from huge payday demands. Something Macc may not be ready to handle just yet.

Christian on the other hand is 5 yrs away from serious coin.

This kind of reality means nothing to us, but is what makes GMs tick.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Its very simple, he is listed as qb2 on another teams depth chart which automatically makes him the object of desire for many jet fans.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

because the majority of Jet fans want anything but Geno. Doesn't make much sense but you get the point.

FlaJet and The 1985er like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Makes perfect sense. What would you rather do, eat shit or starve?