2016 NCAA Basketball thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Yisman, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It's a EcKo brand watch...big for me and heavy as a tank. I'll try and get a photo of it and post it at some point this weekend

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I am not talking old Republicans. Please put me on ignore and don't quote me again. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Morbid curiosity required I check that jet nation thread. I always visualized arguing with junc being like living the ending of Speed:

alleycat9 likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

JetBlue

Mind to PM me the link of the discussion you guys are talking about? I truly don't see junc around maybe I am missing something

5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

ESPN asked Jenkins and Archidiacono to re-create their game winning shot. They made it 7/11 times:

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I'm going to go ahead and say doing it in an empty gym with no opponents (plus knowing in advance what you're going to do) is a lot easier than what actually happened in the game!

7. HackettSuxTNG

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

Brook! likes this.
  9. HackettSuxTNG

I was very sad to hear the news about Pearl Washington. That guy was literally a pioneer in the sport.

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. alleycat9

yeah man really disappointing. i had to explain to my 9 year old who dwayne pearl washington was. phenomenal player....

11. HackettSuxTNG

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...years-in-the-ncaa-and-almost-get-away-with-it

The NCAA has sent its Amended Notification of Allegations to UNC and UNC released it Tuesday.

Bottom line? Women's basketball is going to take the fall. Our guess is you can just about kiss Sylvia Hatchell goodbye. She's going to be the patsy in this mess.

Men's basketball and football are written out of the report altogether.

We can only assume it's because the NCAA can't prove what they probably suspect, largely because former professor Julius Nyang'oro and his assistant Deborah Crowder refused to help the NCAA (more on that in a minute).

The focus of the slimmed-down report is Jan Boxill, noted UNC professor of ethics, who is mentioned in 15 separate cases of academic fraud. She says her e-mails were taken out of context. You'd think an academic might write more precisely than that.

So to sum it up: despite criminal charges being filed, despite several investigations including the Martin and Wainstein reports, despite being put on probation by the accreditation agency the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, despite Julius Peppers' damning transcript being made public, despite the lawsuit which revealed Michael McAdoo's plagiarism and began the exposure of wholesale systematic fraud, despite the other lawsuits by student-athletes, despite the unquestionable enrollment of dozens of football and men's basketball players in these fake classes, despite unauthorized grade changes, despite hiring an assistant men's basketball coach in Sean May without making clear that his degree was in fact earned (May talked extensively about taking independent study classes while at UNC which he said freed up his time considerably), which took place in the middle of the scandal in a giant middle finger to everyone, despite the NCAA investigation, football and men's basketball have a reasonable shot at getting away with a nearly 20-year effort to push players through school by means of fake classes taught in some cases without even the beard of a "professor" like Nyang'oro.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It's a joke. It's too bad Rashad McCants didn't cooperate. He had them dead to rights.

It's just so fucked up that they basically ignored everything BEFORE 2005 as if they were purposefully trying to protect the tainted NCAAs and Roy and Dean.

_

13. alleycat9

so what you are saying is.... junc wins? say it aint so

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

junc has nothing to do with UNC.

_

15. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Car salesman Cal sure is hating Duke University and Coach K. His latest comments toward the program are ridiculous. He is so jealous of K. I bet he lays awake at night, tossing and turning, wishing he was 1/10th of the Coach that K is. Cal is dumb as a coach, X's and O's are not his thing. He gripes about K telling recruits that they will be set for life if they become part of the Duke family and tradition. "Hey Cal, you dumbass, you promise your recruits fame and fortune if they follow you." Well the recruits don't need him. The recruits he pursues are good enough for the NBA whether he coaches them or not. He doesn't help them get to the NBA. He doesn't do much of anything. What Kentucky fans better hope for, is that Cal doesn't get their school in trouble, like he has done before. Cal is a joke.

alleycat9 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

recruiting is a garbage business. just garbage. especially with more entitled youngsters these days and these coaches (and pathetic fans on twitter) kissing their asses. It makes me want to barf. What a joke.

I'm not a Calipari guy by any means, he is a used car salesman for sure. And i dont know what he's said in the past about Duke -maybe there is a petty feud. But I'm inclined to agree with him on these particular statements. You don't tell a kid he will be set for life by just choosing your school, especially if you are just the basketball coach. Don't lie to the kid like that.

17. JetBlue

I'm going to assume the elitist Duke alumni network provides a lot of opportunity for athletes that they wouldn't necessarily get from another school; so I wouldn't say it is a lie necessarily.

18. HackettSuxTNG

I have serious fears of Josh Hart going pro this year. I think it would hurt both the University and Hart.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but a basketball coach promising that? a basketball coach promising that 'for life'? What an asshole.

Calipari is right about transferring. If the kid went to Duke and simply decided it wasn't the right place for him that elitist alumni network would turn on him so fast, but not even that, this kid is going to have a short college career and go to the NBA. He's probably never going to be a Duke alumni. Suppose Duke fails to meet expectations in his one year there. He goes to the NBA and for whatever reason it doesn't work out. 10 years down the line and the NBA windfall is gone, he's just an average dude now who played in an average year at Duke. This alumni network is going to take care of him?? How? and Don't you doubt that like I do? Also- should the guy who is simply the basketball coach be really making claims like that?

At least Cal is keeping it real. I'm here to get you ready for the NBA because I am a basketball coach and that's all I know.

20. JetBlue

I would assume that he doesn't mean if you come for a year and transfer the alumni are going to still treat him like an alumn. I think there is an understanding that playing at Duke and remaining a part of the University to some reasonable extent creates a lifetime network even if you don't stay all four years and go pro.

Obviously we aren't talking concrete contractual promises and there is some ambiguity to such a declaration but I think there is validity to the concept he is promising. But there is value to these type of elitist institutions that he is leveraging versus a place like Kentucky which is simply a large state University.