Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Remember when Boomer Esiason held up number 7 at his introduction and Kenny O was still on the roster, I was pissed!

RPOZ51 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Terrible I felt bad for O'B

3. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

He would. He's a smart man who doesn't need the money and values time with his family. At this point in his life, and with his degree, Fitz has the options to do whatever he wants. I don't think it's totally unfathomable that he's serious.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

nah its bullshit. If he doesn't sign on the dotted line with the Jets he'll sign somewhere for half his asking price as a backup/battle for the starting job. He ain't retiring. I'd call him on that bluff and it looks like the Jets are

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

He won't get half his asking price anywhere except here. He can start on the Jets for $8M or wait until a team loses a starter and offers him $4M. He is just being stubborn and prideful now. And as Marcellus Wallace said, Fuck Pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.

6. DSL97

DSL97 Member

Fitz is simply being completely stubborn and doesn't realize he won't get what he wants. anywhere from 6-8 mil sounds completely reasonable for him, we aren't stupid like the eagles, paying someone who's simply average 15+ mil

zace likes this.
  7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

If Mac was as keen on Hackenberg as the reports say, it makes sense that the Jets werent looking to pay Fitz the money Bradford got. They see him as a one-year bridge and possibly a nice multi-year mentor to the young guys. And I think Mac is right.

themorey likes this.
  8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I truly believe that the Jets are okay with moving on without Fitz. The guy from Harvard overplayed his hand, the music has stopped and he is without a chair.

Where is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to sign a deal and get 8+M? Pretty amazing how this has played out.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Looking at the NFL calendar, this may drag into July. The Jets will probably enact "plan B" the first week of July if this isn't settled.

I think Fitz' people are waiting for the Jets to make roster moves/restructyres to say,
    "Hey you have the money now, sign our guy at 12M".
    As opposed to the Jets signing Fitz at the Jets' price and then making the necessary roster moves to clear space for him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The Fitz saga is extremely peculiar to me. There is not one ounce of rumor from the Jets, Fitz or any other team that is percolating to the media....as if a deal of some sort and a secret hand shake with someone has already taken place, but everyone is sworn to secrecy. Things don't appear to quite add up IMHO.

1- Apparently Fitz is not really interested in playing for the Jets or another contender if he has to lower his demands
    2- Apparently no other team, including the Jets is interested enough to meet his demands
    3- There is a camp that sees Fitz as the only short term solution, and others that think Fitz performance last year was more a mirage than reality. He did much to prevent costly mistakes that would have lost us the game, but he is far from the QB that carried the team on his shoulders. He should carry a statue of Marshall and Decker in his car to worship.
    4- We get vibrations that the FO sees Fitz a lower risk than Geno but apparently not big enough a risk except at a bargain price
    5- I suspect once training camp starts in earnest, if Fitz is missing in action the Jets MP will not go out looking for him any more. Case closed
    6- Baring any injuries in camp, there is a 50-50 chance they go with Geno unless one of the youngsters surprise us all. Either option would add risk and potentially ticket sell looses to a very challenging season. Not something the FO might accept.
    So what can we conclude from all this?
    Either Chan, Todd and Mike are higher on Geno that they are willing to admit...or May be something is cooking that might include a round robin of players to free up some $ for a QB. The more I hear Mac say he is not actively looking for a trade the more I become suspicious than one might be in the works.

RuJFan likes this.
  11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We don't need Fitz until training camp and I expect him to be back in a Jets uniform before then.He is clearly part of the plan ,and that became obvious after the Hackenberg pick.Fitz will be back on a 1 or two year deal at the most.

TNJet likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Fitz should pursue a graduate degree at Harvard and jus leave us alone...

He is at the end of the line in the NFL with 8mil offered before he takes a job on Wall street ...

Guy should be grateful cause he will end up with zero....so pathetic ...

Opening day Fitz will be booed mark my words

Idzik/Fitz r 2 Ivy Leaguers who are not so smart

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unless Mac is just posturing, he has said within the last day or so that the Jets offer will not raised, except perhaps for a little bit. With that being the case, Fitz and his shyster agents can forget $12 million.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So the most successful quarterback the Jets have seen in decades will be booed? Why would that happen?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I enjoyed Ryan at times during 2015, especially when inside the red zone, but I've really never been a fan of Fitzpatrick. There are reasons why he's still a FA without teams knocking on his door for a starting role. He has two years left (tops). IMO he's a career journeyman in which has never been able to stick with a single team while solidifying himself as a franchise caliber quarterback. Many of times last year he reminded me of Chad Pennington due to his lack of overall arm strength while opposing defenses had no fear of the deep ball. A QB with arm ability limitations such as Fitzpatrick can never utilize the talents or potential of a speed burner such as a Devin Smith either. Which in return can stunt the growth of an offensive scheme. Yes. He set a franchise record for most TD's thrown during a single season but when looking at the big picture it's hard to imagine a starting QB not being successful with two big receivers in Decker & Marshall (who's an all out freak) along with an animal in Chris Ivory @ HB. The more i think about it the more I'd rather take my chances with Geno Smith being surrounded by top notch receiving talents in Marshall & Decker, a deep threat in Smith along with a 3 down back in Forte who specializes in catching out of the backfield. Not to mention a stud defense protecting Geno as well. If Geno's not able to succeed under those circumstances well then at least we'll have Hackenberg & Petty developing/waiting in the wings for an opportunity. Not a bad situation to be in. At the end of the day Geno would've been our opening day starter last year. He without question, beat out Fitzpatrick during training camp. Now I'm not saying that Geno's the answer long-term but maybe (just maybe) the best thing that could've happened to Geno Smith was actually sitting out during his entire 3rd year while studying the game from a clipboard's stand point of view (after two years of starting experience). With Geno's combined arm strength & mobility along with heading into his 4th season i see more value/potential in going with Geno rather than a 34-35 year old Fitzpatrick.

16. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Define successful? Because we didnt win shit

Jets69 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Correct

He may retire or sit out the Season

Thanks for putting the Team in this position Ryan...all for a couple of mil more that he thinks he can get. he is booed because of this . Plus without his receivers Fitz aint that great. Lost to Buffalo twice

Bowles is comfortable with Geno, I am not

TNJet likes this.
  18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Is this longer than the Revis holdout thread yet?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I think Mevi$ is giving Fitz advice.

20. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Is anyone else just done with the Fitz drama yet?

I'm ready to just go into the season with Geno, Petty and Hack and let them battle it out. I KNOW it's not gonna be a good season with anyone of those guys under center, but enough is enough.

Let Geno start the season, bomb, and after week 6 or so, put Petty in and give him a shot. The schedule is much more difficult this season anyway.

FJF likes this.