Rate The 2016 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NYJetsO12, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Why do guys dislike the Shell pick so much, everything on him is positive, he has to polish his pass protection game a bit but that's something that all guards and tackles taken after the 1st round have to do.

Mac explained that the jets are getting a compensatory 4th round pick next year, he traded away the jets regular pick but they still have one.

So I don't get the hate for this move.

LIJetsFan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading next year for this year is almost always a losing proposition. You're down a pick the following year, whether you get a comp pick or not you're down 1 pick from where you would have been, and whatever you take in the draft this year is 50/50 to depreciate in value before next year when your traded asset will have full value.

You have to hit on the pick if you make the trade to have any chance of coming out ahead and it is just impossible to know if you're going to hit or miss on 99% of the picks you make.

James Hasty and alleycat9 like this.
  3. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Like I said, I would gladly give up a 4 pick for a starter at RT. But this guy looks like a big "if".

Br4d and boozer32 like this.
  4. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

B- for not getting enough OL help, and for taking Hackenberg as a reach. In the 4th round, I'd have been ok with it. I get that someone else would've taken him before then (kind of my point), and that he has 1st round potential, but his college career just doesn't stand out to me. I get coaching and playing on a team with scholarship sanctions is a big part of that, but still. Petty threw for 8,000 yards and 60 TDs (w 10INTs) in 2 years at Baylor (plus 14 rushing TDs, but anyway); C-Hack threw for 8,300 in 3 years with 48TDs (and 30INTs). Different offenses, sure, but still, I'd rather let Petty grow another year and give him the reins in 2017 than waste a pick that high on another project.

What kills me is that the 2nd round is a quality round. Our picks of late:

- Geno Smith
    - Jace Amaro
    - Devin Smith
    - Christian Hackenberg

Can't exactly say we've extracted maximum value there. Injuries are a part of that, some of those picks could come good, but still. It's frustrating.

If CHack turns out to be the next Tom Brady, then it's an A+ draft. If not it's staying between a B- and a C-.

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

HAHAHA

Can just see Bowles/Mac and the rest of Macs scouting dream team with a big keg and getting wasted playing darts in the back room on a green and white dart board with 2016 Draft on top. The wall around the Board is full of wholes and everyone is laughing at what they did to Woodys wall hehehe

boozer32 likes this.
  6. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

What about the fact that by next year Shell will have a year of NFL experience under his belt, might be ready to play, and the CS will know better what they have in him. That has to count for something on the plus side of the ledger.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I have a bad feeling that Idzik's two drafts are going to look a lot better than Mac's first two drafts in a couple of years.

C-

8. Red Menace

So he would have to hit on both of his 4th round picks next year, it's not a guarantee he is going to do that, they don't even know what the board is going to look like next year.

The jets might end up sucking big time this year and have a top 10 pick, where they could grab a Tackle and have no need to worry about their 4th rounders.

The jets need OL depth, we have winters, who stinks, Johnson is just as bad as a back up, and Qvale.

I like the short term and long term approach to this move.

JMO

9. Red Menace

Lol, cmon man, you think Mac could screw up a 12 pick draft?

10. Section 336

I am 100% serious.
    6 of 7 of Idzik's first year draft, started at some point for us, 5 are still on the roster and the other is still in the NFL

People are fucking stupid with this 12 pick draft shit, half of the picks were 5th or later and many could not be traded.
    How many of those do you really think stick on NFL average? He drafted Enunwa in the 6th who produced some, and a few other STers in the late rounds.
    Besides the punter,who still may not make it, because we signed another UDFA who has Mac drafted in the late rounds of 2 drafts that you really think is going to stick or have an impact?

The big fuck up on that draft was WR 's taken in the fourth. - But Mac fucked up on a WR in the second.
    They both screwed the pooch with a QB in the second although the Geno pick made more sense at the time.

Pryor and Richardson will turn out to be far better than anyone drafter in Macs first 2.
    I still believe Amaro and Milliner (even if not with us) will turn out to be decent pros.
    Williams was a good pick last year, but he will not surpass Sheldon.

Mark my word in 2 years time -- Idzik's first 2 drafts will be clearly better than Mac's

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My favorite is how Devin Smith is being labeled a "fuck up" when almost his entire first year was ravaged by injury.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  12. Section 336

AND I am not saying Idzik is a better GM -- I am only talking about these first 2 drafts. Idzik obviously had some severe limitations.

13. Section 336

I was against the pick at the time, it has nothing to do with his injury.
    He will not amount to much of anything.

14. BroadwayAaron

Oh so you were just taking your own opinion as fact?

LIJetsFan likes this.
  15. Section 336

It's a fucking message board, everything about it is opinion.

So you are satisfied with his production last year, including the Buffalo game.

I get it Idzik was a moron for drafting Milliner the BPA because he has had some injuries, but Mac is a genius and it was tough luck that D Smith got injured.

16. BroadwayAaron

You can't be satisfied with the production of any rookie in year one who was drafted as a project (and yes, he was). Especially one who missed most of camp and then plenty of games.

I don't think Idzik was an idiot for taking Milliner. You're barking up the wrong tree chief.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I give the Jets draft a B- overall.

-Lee is a stud and can play in multiple schemes. A faster Danny Trevathan down the road. Speedy LB's are the way of the future in the NFL. A-

-Hackenberg - definitely a reach and got a LONG way to go. His feel for the game is crappy and his accuracy is worse. Many good OL still left on the board here. C-

-Jenkins - A younger Calvin Pace type. Good stout player at the point of attack. Needs to work on lateral speed. B

-Shell - 4 year starter in college. A project player. Definitely didn't need to trade a valuable 4th round pick to get someone of his caliber. C

-Juston Burris - Big, physical corner yet tends to get burned quite a bit. Won't get away with hands on WR's in the NFL and could be a penalty machine. C

-Edwards - Needed a Punter badly. Also got Hackett so at least we addressed the position which is a positive. B+

-Peake - Clemson has a recent history of putting out good, qaulity WR's. Still a reach and has an ACL injury in his past which is never good. B-

Overall I like the upgrade at LB and Punter (Never thought I'd say that about a Punter but it's true on this team). Don't like the lack of OL additions. Thought we should've addressed it earlier in the 2nd round with some good value on the board.

18. Red Menace

So 6 of his picks stuck, you don't think 6 of macs pick will stick?

Devin Smith would have caught about 4-5 TD passes if we had a QB that could throw deep, he was also injured so the jury is still out on him.

Mauldin is already head and shoulders above Pryor and Sheldon and his off field issues, he was such an impact player that he was being doubled team by the end of the year, this year Mauldin will be a pro bowl player, and he will surpass Sheldon and Pryor.

Leonard Williams did not struggle a bit in his first year in the NFL, went through a learning curve but he fit in immediately, he will improve this year barring any injuries.

I do think Amaro is going to be a huge weapon this year in Gaileys offense.
    Millner on reputation alone will get some opportunities but he will not last in the NFL past next year.

I was an Idzik fan, Woody screwed the pooch by forcing him and Rex to work together, we knew Rex was the loose lips in the organization, and probably threw Idzik under the bus.

At the end of the day, Mac will not get everything correct, but he is already moving this team in the right direction with TB as his HC.

This year will speak volumes about Macs moves.

19. BroadwayAaron

Interesting... is it possible to reach in the 7th round? And wasn't Peake rated a top 15 WR by some experts?

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Sure and other experts were soured on him big-time due to injuries. Has very good size/speed but two knee injuries is a huge red flag.