Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he wont retire. he's just playin hardball.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, although I'm not sure this fully explains your post.

3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

We've had bad experiences with quarterbacks. It's very easy for us to have mixed feelings based on their performances or conduct. That's what I mean.

4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

exactly... if he wants to retire i wish him the best. but no way in hell to i budge of the jets offer, in fact im not comfortable even giving the 8-9 million rumored.

Br4d and jdon like this.
  5. jerseyjay14

seriously... turn on a qb fast? this board supported sanchez for years, still supports geno, was criticizing the team for not giving matt simms a shot, i mean... its really the opposite

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Broncos traded up for Lynch. So it's the Jets or retirement for Fitz.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. jerseyjay14

hopefully he keeps to his word and retires

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Well, Lynch is supposedly a project, isn't he? Either way, he was never going to the Broncos. They showed no interest in paying him anything close to what he was asking for and have been out of the Fitz running since signing Marky Mark.

9. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

10. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The only quality I really like about Fitz is his ability to know when and how to run. He saves a lot of third down plays with that. And he is pretty smart about it. His throwing is meh. His decision-making on the pass is maybe average. his deep ball is a mirage.

11. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Seems like a good dude but somebody is blowing smoke up his ass about his value. Drop the offer $1M every week he continues to hold out.

12. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

When I first posted this topic is when they should have acted, before those other big contracts came out. They could have offered some low end starter money and he'd probably have accepted.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That's definitely the best part of his game....that and leadership

Decision making and actual passing ability out of the pocket is pretty bad to be honest....Decker and Marshall bailed him out a lot of the time. Deep ball is horrendous

He's ok for us but I'd personally rather go with Geno/Petty because I don't see much of a downside and a much bigger upside. I understand if they sign him on the cheap but to give him big money is a joke when you consider the fact that there's virtually no competition for his services and he's a 33 year old journeyman

jdon and zace like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

You don't see a downside to Geno over Fitz? Watch the NFL.com highlights of the 2014 season and there's your downside.

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I said much of a downside.....Obviously a downside is very possible but so is an upside with Geno or Petty. I just don't think much of Fitz and believe that the Jets team and situation last season and now makes it easy for a QB to do well

Geno figues to be better just from sitting on the sidelines learning under more competent offensive coaches...not to mention the weapons and system are much better now than when Geno played last

Fitz is a safe option and would be OK on the cheap

16. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Draft somebody this year, let geno and petty battle it out for starter. Cut the loser of the battle at the end of the year and then draft another qb in 2017, repeat the cycle until we get a legit starter.

King Koopa likes this.
  17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Or you identify a guy and you do everything humanly possible to develop that guy and put him in a position to succeed. Drafting QB's every year is dumb. Only one guy can play.

18. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

He's also a 33 year old journeyman that knows this system inside out , he also developed insane chemistry with our 2 biggest offensive weapons. And is coming off a career year. He could most likely miss all of the OTA's , training camp and preseason , and come in Week 1 and do a decent job.

Forte signed here for a reason , you think that was because it was possible Geno Smith would be our Week 1 starter? Marshall might only play 1 more year. Doubt he wants to waste it considering he's a future HOFer coming off his best offensive season last year mostly due to who was throwing him the ball.

To say that there wouldn't be much of a downside to losing Fitz is crazy to me. Even if Geno or Petty or anyone else can perform admirably , our entire offense takes a stepback without him next year. What was a strength last season all of the sudden becomes a huge question mark.

I can understand wanting to know what we have in Petty by 2017 , but Geno Smith is a finished product. He'll never start for another NFL team once he leaves here.

19. HomeoftheJets

20. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member