Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I mean though Shefty's good I'm sure the agent probably floated him some bs, but I do generally trust a beat guy that isn't Mehta/Cimini

slimjasi likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I like Fitzpatrick but he's definitely not worth $14M a year. Very few QB's are worth that and he's certainly not in the category.

I hope he's willing to play for a decent salary but if he's not I don't see an alternative to just saying no and thanking him for his service. He was a lot of fun to watch last year but realistically he does not make the Jets a playoff team. They might get lucky and make it at 9-7 or 10-6 with him or they might see the season-ender go south again and miss out.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We had an extremely easy schedule and that made him look better than he is, and he couldn't beat Buffalo even once? We need a QB that can throw downfield.

4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Sounds like both reports are true.

He wants to play football.
    He wants unrealistic money.

No other teams want him.
    He won't accept current offer.

He's left with retirement.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing that the 'insult' of being offered 8 million+ would make him seriously consider sitting out a year. If you think about it for a good 10 seconds, that makes zero fucking sense. That would only make sense if, after sitting out a year, he thinks he could possibly get another team to offer him more than the Jets are offering him now. Yeah fucking right.

Also, remember, the Jets aren't just offering him money. They are also offering him an all-but guaranteed starting position, throwing to the best WRs he's ever thrown to, in a system in which he has had, by far, the best seasons of his career.

I mean, i guess he could retire? I don't buy that either, but maybe. The story about him being willling to sit out a year is bullshit, IMO

6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

But he says he doesn't want to retire - he obviously thinks Mac will blink first but Mac is calling his bluff.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Oh man Fitz, 8M a year is just so terrible.

Guess he'll retire. Nobody else offered anything.

8. Leicester Jet

He obviously thinks he is worth way more than he actually is - no-one will pay him what he wants at the moment

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

If someone other than the Jets topped the Jet offer he would have taken it. This team is not required to overpay him. His market value has been determined. If he chooses to ignore it, fine.

10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Fitz's side realeases another negotiation tactic and some fans get their feelings hurt over it.

11. Leicester Jet

Maybe the penny will drop on Sunday morning, when everyone has their Q/B and he has no job!

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  12. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yeah, if he sits out a year it's pretty much the same as retiring. At that point, giving him a starting slot would be unthinkable by all 32 teams, and he'd maybe get to be a backup in 2017. He should try to bargain for some incentives (based on making the playoffs or meeting certain win thresholds) and just sign up. At some point the Jets would replace him for a younger QB, and at that point if he was in everyone's good graces he could transition to a Mark Brunell type role as a mentor - and from there get a cushy media gig working for the NY Jets or SNY covering the Jets.

But, if he doesn't want to be here then fine. Maybe Hoyer, McCown, Kaep, or Glennon would be decent.

slimjasi likes this.
  13. Don

Hopefully we are part of the "everyone" there.

14. Don

You mistake hurt feeling with just not giving a shit about him. Were the Jets his 6th team or something like that, what does that tell you?

15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Kind of stupid if his agent released that quote. If there's a fan base who will turn on a QB quicker than anything its ours.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

If he's on the roster come September, then great. If not, then we get to see what Geno learned in the last year. Either way, we're not winning the Super Bowl, so I honestly don't give a shit if he signs or not. In fact, I'd almost rather save the money and see how our shitty QB situation works itself out this year.

jerseyjay14 and Leicester Jet like this.
  17. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

2,000+ post thread is not giving a shit?

Ok

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Please elaborate.

19. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

You think hinting you'd "rather retire" is good publicity. Of course, If it didn't come from his camp.... it's just smoke.

20. Don

It won't be Geno..not ever. If it was they wouldn't have signed Fitz or drafted Petty..Geno is dead to the Jets.