Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would think the only way a trade gets done at this point is if one of the interested teams doesn't get the DL they are targeting in 1st rd. Possibly at that point a trade can get done between the first and second rds. Wouldn't call it likely though.

2. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

At this point, best offer we are getting is 3rd pick this yr and 3 rd pick next yr
    Titans and Raiders are talking to Jets big time, ? Bears/Browns
    Mac hoping for more, doesn't look good
    No way a first, don't expect a 2nd

3. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

I don't know about that. These teams have to know that Mac is willing to retain Wilkerson and let him walk next offseason if the compensation package isn't right in a trade. If someone really wants him I believe they're going to have to trade at least a 2nd and more. Who knows though, could be wishful thinking. I hope (as I'm sure you do) that you're wrong about a 3rd being the best we can get

4. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

If the offers are for only 3rd round picks, just keep wilkerson for another year and continue to try and work out a long term deal. I rather continue to have a dominant line than pick up a project guard in the 3rd round.

stinkyB and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The idea of waiting out the pool of DL in the 1st round is not a bad one if the best thing the Jets are seeing now is multiple mid round picks. If the Jets actually have two or three teams bidding then there's some play as the draft progresses. If the run of DL does not materialize in the 1st round, well that makes Mo look better because the prospects weren't actually perceived as valuable in the way they are now. If the pool dries up midway through the 1st, well so much the better because now teams that were looking at a cheap star option no longer have that unless they were one of the teams that took a DL.

I'm still looking at the Browns as the team with the biggest incentive and the most assets to make a move. They made a gutty call trading down from the 2 without a QB in house. Now locking in some of that value in another deal for a core player makes sense for them. They won't overpay for Mo but they might well make an appropriate deal for him. Facing the Steelers, Bengals and Ravens 6 times a year is a strong incentive to get a good two-way defensive lineman with minimal question marks about his ability to actually play that role. Right now Mo's question marks are all durability related and they're minor question marks.

6. Br4d

The cap space that Mo occupies has value also. If Richardson gets a slap on the wrist 2 to 4 game suspension the Jets may very well want to lock him up to a long-term deal by the end of the year. Hard to do that with Mo's $15.7M cap figure sitting in the middle of negotiation and impinging on the cap.

7. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Mo also runs the risk of suffering from a serious injury with no future insurance, which could severely lower his asking price due to recovery concerns,its a double edge sword. Sure 15.7 million for one year of Mo is a lot of cap space but what are we going to use that space for anyways?

When we get down to the grit of the situation Mac has plenty of restructure option to be able to fit the draft and a fitz contract on the books along with Mo's 15.7 million one year contract. As it looks now we have plenty of cap space next year to fit a massive Mo contract in.

Plus Mo will have to be motivated to continue to play at a high level due to it being another contract year, which is better than any third or even second round pick will more than likely get us.

8. Br4d

I understand all the points you're making however if the Jets saw Mo as a key piece in the puzzle worth a massive contract he would already be signed. So that option isn't happening. At that point having him sitting in the locker room disgruntled and taking up $15.7M in cap space is probably the worst outcome for the Jets next year, particularly if Richardson plays enough to have a career year.

The Jets are going to lock up either Richardson this year or at the end of it or Williams after 2017 or both. That's their big cap figures on the defensive line. They're also going to lock up Calvin Pryor, probably after this season or 2017 at the latest. That's their big figure on the back end. Revis cap allocation will go away sooner rather than later in all likelihood. We've seen how that works and can't expect to have him after 2017. If he's still good enough to merit the cheaper backend years he will be holding out and causing problems, otherwise he just won't be worth the space.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Going to be impossible to get anything worthwhile for Wilkerson while on the clock so if he is getting traded it is being worked out now.

Rockinz likes this.
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

the framework of deals including contract restructures could be worked out and kept quiet until draft day. This allows for trading if certain players are available.

11. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think there is a trade on the table involving Mo, the details of a contract have been worked out, and that we are just waiting until draft night to see if the player we covet is there. It's been too quiet, as if all of the players in this saga, including Fitz, know what's going to happen.

Either that, or nothing is going to happen and we let Mo walk after next season. Let Mo play his tail off for that huge FA deal. I see absolutely no value in trading him for 3rd round lottery tickets - we'd likely get that as a compensatory pick in 2018 if he signs elsewhere.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Agreed. Everything has been way too quiet and calm, especially when you look at how casual Fitz is with our guys. I don't think he'd be so buddy-buddy and out in public at huge NY sporting events if there wasn't something in the works.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

A deal for Mo is tough for 1 main reason COMPENSATION!!! Mo is worth at least a 1st round pick if you look at his skill set BUT the problem is he is demanding a HUGE contract, he's coming off a broken leg and teams know we don't have a QB and we can't sign 1 because we are tight against the cap.

We have very little leverage... I can't see Mac giving him away and I'm convinced his price is a 1st for Mo and he's standing firm... Thing is by standing firm it can backfire if there isn't a taker...

If Mo is on this team our QB will be Geno/Petty because we simply can't pay Fitz or anyone else.. We need our remaining cap space for our draft picks...

So the question is, who do we need more a QB or Mo? If it's a QB we might have to slide off a 1st round pick and take a 2nd for Mo.. If it's Mo hold on because it's Geno or Petty time!

14. Don

That's what I mean but keeping it quiet is no easy thing to do.

15. Don

If they draft Lynch and let Fitz retire they have the money to sign Wilkerson long term...if that is what they want to do..I think that is exactly what they have in mind and why re-signing Fitz won't be addressed until after the draft.

NYJetsO12 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

when the trade is contingent on certain players being available there is motivation on both sides to keep it quiet.

17. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Best thing we can hope if we're gonna trade Mo is Buckner, Bosa , Floyd and Lawson all being off the board by pick 14.

From 14-20 you have 4 teams who IMO could be targeting a DE early and might target Mo if all those guys are gone.

Mo could then be used to move up and also could get us back a mid-2nd rounder in addition.

If the draft turns out that way and we have the chance to trade up and grab Conklin or even Hargreaves , I say jump all over it.

That happens and you grab 2 top 40 players , 3 top 50 with our original 2nd rounder , and use some of the $$ saved on Mo to resign Fitz.

Its a win-now move.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Beki

Beki Active Member

One thing here:
    We placed a non-exclusive franchise tag on MO, which allows team to talk with his agent free, right? So, maybe an agreed contract is there for MO, but compensation is the problem...

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...source=FB - SNF on NBC&utm_tags=srm[football]

20. Beki

Beki Active Member

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    Update on #Jets DL Mo Wilkerson: Team fielded calls, but little action. Trade viewed as unlikely. NYJ is content to have a very good player