Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I am a Mo-for-multipe-picks guy myself. Sure if he could get us a top QB prospect I would go for it. But I would take a 2016 two and a 2017 two for him. Or maybe one number two and a couple of other mid levels. Fact is we would have to swap our 1 and add him to move up in this year's first. Someone else will probably jump ahead of Cleveland anyway. This looks to be the Jump-Up year

2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I would prefer we trade down and add a 2nd rounder if the opportunity is there im not comfortable in taking Ifedi, Springs, or Decker at 20 so we could add an extra pick and still get one of those guys

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

All we have to is go 4-12 for few years yeah

The Eagles understand the future is now

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lol.....The Eagles are rolling the dice in a major way its not like Andrew Luck will be there at 2 .....Jared Goff reminds me of Sanchez

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Goff is a 3 year starter and I think Sancho was 1 year. The comparison is apples and oranges as I think Goff, who carried his Team at Cal is a much better player

Wentz is also a very good player from a pro style offense

Please, every draft of a QB is rolling the dice. Plus the Eagles are a Vet team with good players already in place (and they have Sam Bradford as a bridge QB}

I think fans need to repeat five xs fast: This is a QB driven league

#405 NYJetsO12, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Red Menace and Walt White like this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That's the thing 4-12 might not land you a QB in the next couple of years.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand that, and in an ideal world, that's what should happen. I fear that the reality is, however, that everyone of those players will be taken before the end of the 1st round. Just as teams are desperate for QBs, they are also desperate for good OTs, especially LTs. Teams will reach for OTs.

Besides, many scouts have Spriggs rated as the 2nd best, most natural LT prospect in the draft, and a legitimate 1st round pick. Some are now saying that Ifedi is as well. Decker has been recognized as a legitimate 1st round pick who isn't likely to be available even at #20. If the Jets wants one of these LTs, they're probably going to have to take him at #20. They may be able to trade down around 5 spots and still get Spriggs or Ifedi, but I'm not sure that it's worth the risk for the additional 4th round pick or whatever they'd get, and then they have to find a trading partner. At that part of the draft, I doubt there's a player that another team will covet enough to move up unless it is one of those OT prospects or possibly Lynch.

#407 NCJetsfan, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Red Menace likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Roseman's comment could easily be taken as: "We don't know who the Rams are taking at #1 but we know who we're taking at #2 (whichever QB they don't take of Goff and Wentz.)"

If the Eagles traded up for anybody but a QB they made a mistake and a big one. Adding Laremy Tunsil doesn't do a lot for their offense at the moment because they have Lane Johnson as the heir apparent at LT when Jason Peters retires. Also you don't make that kind of trade for a LT who is not seen as a generational talent and Tunsil is not seen that way by the NFL. Ezekiel Elliot is a great talent but you don't trade the farm for a RB. That's one knee away from disaster. Look what happened to the Falcons when Julio Jones got hurt.

My guess is that the Eagles made the big trade up to try to recover from the Chip Kelly talent debacle. I can't believe that they really are planning to do anything other than take the QB and let him sit behind Bradford for 2 years in the hope that in 2018 they'll have the guy at QB and Lane Johnson at LT and the basis for a strong offense for a decade.

9. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Just saw PFT speculate the Jets and Eagles as potential trade partners for Bradford.

I don't think the Eagles would trade Bradford; they need him to start 2016. And I would not want him. Would rather sign Hoyer on the cheap.

10. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

I would be absolutely livid if we did that. Can't afford to pay Fitz but trade for Glassman Bradford at $18 million per? I highly, highly doubt Mac is that stupid.

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Well, if that list is any indication of how it generally works out, I suggest whoever is picking at 8 avoid the urge to follow the trend. (i.e. Browns)

#411 slimjasi, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Br4d likes this.
  12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

What would you rather have for Mo?
    Anthony Davis OT and the Niners pick in the second round (39?) or a first round pick in the 13-19 range?

13. Br4d

This is probably very good advice. If they decide they want Lynch or another of the projects they should probably trade down again and pick them up lower in the round.

I still think you can make a strong argument for them locking in part of the value in the trade down from #2 by trading for Mo. He's very solid value if not a clear superstar and he's going to be cheaper for them to sign now than he'll likely be in the open market next year, even assuming he's there.

14. Br4d

That depends on how Davis is viewed at this point. If he's coming back to the NFL with a clear head and ready to go then I'd rather have him and the 39. If he's just looking for the money and that's all he's really in it for then give me the 13-19.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. Beki

Beki Active Member

Am I the only one who thinks if MO not traded today, he will be back us with 2016?

16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If it hasn't happened by the end of Friday, it's not going to happen.

17. Br4d

Without knowing the specifics of the Sheldon Richardson suspension the Jets will probably hang onto Mo unless they get at least a halfway decent offer for him. It's possible there will be a deal tonight or tomorrow but I think we would have heard something about it at this point if it were likely to happen. It's hard to keep a secret between three different partners, and the Jets, the suitor and Mo would all have to know about the deal at this point if it was happening.

For the Jets that means GM, HC and owner at a minimum, probably more people, same for the suitor. For Mo that's him and his agency (and any close acquaintances of either who happened to find out at some point.) That's a lot of people to keep hush-hush even when the stakes are as high as they would be in this case.

18. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

Yup, this is exactly right. Personally I believe if it doesn't get done today, the odds dramatically lower tomorrow and become nonexistent at 7 pm Friday night. We would need at least a package including a 2nd round pick to move Mo, and the team who trades for him will need to have the parameters of a contract ironed out with Wilk's agent. Needless to say I'll be refreshing Twitter often today at work haha

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'd give it about 60% chance Mo is traded by the end of the week, most likely tomorrow.

20. Br4d

It's possible the Jets parameters on a deal will change once the draft has come and gone. It's easier to pry future picks away from teams than it is current picks and once the immediate value is off the table the Jets will be better able to compare the potential comp pick in 2018 to what they would be getting in 2017 instead. We could also see them wait until the Richardson suspension is disclosed and then make a move or not based on that.

If Richardson is gone on a long suspension in 2016 the Jets might choose to keep Mo for the year just to have the defense work effectively in year 2 of the new regime.