Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't know...

I do think that if you can get better compensation than what we would get for him walking next year, you take it.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The belief is that picks lose value by a round in a year so a 2018 third rounder is the same as a 2016 first rounder.

So better compensation is anything in the first round. Adequate compensation imo could be stretched to first five picks in the second.

He's still an excellent player so the compensation we would receive if we don't find a trade partner is a player in a contract year that's probably going to cause some damage in the backfield for a season.

3. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

I'm not opposed to trading him but I'd rather he be on the team next year than some second round selection that has a 50% chance of starting let alone make an impact. In fact I would say 90% if not more second round picks will make less of an impact in there career than Mo could make in one... And that's besides the fact we can sign him long term.

Imagine we trade him for a second round pick and that player produces like Devin Smith did last year and we just barely miss the playoffs again. Could have made it with one more win... You'd be screaming for macs head.

I know it's not a perfect analogy with Marshal but all I'm saying is you don't settle for some second rate compensation and think that's best long term when you will still have him next year and have an opportunity to sign him.

4. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

5. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see this go through- out of conference team with a TON of cap space thats made virtually no offseason moves. This could have potentially been in the works for a while and now theres some grease in the wheels considering Goff will likely be gone at #7.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  6. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Going with hypotheticals... Do you think Mac is targeting a tackle or one of the linebackers that could 'slip'?

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a lot of interesting play around a deal with the 49ers. They've got a pick high enough to get us a good OT and even a QB if things worked out that way, they've got a good OT returning from retirement in Anthony Davis, they've got Kaepernick - who they've been trying to trade for 2 months now but who will not rework his contract. They also definitely could use a player like Mo to anchor their defense.

So Mo for the 7 might be on the table. Mo + the 51 might get the Jets the 7 + Kaepernick. Mo and the 20 might get the Jets the 7, Davis and Kaepernick.

8. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

Likely a tackle because the value is better I think, but either way its gonna be BPA.

9. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

I would prefer Mo + our 3rd for Davis plus their 1st. Keeper nick is horrible. Draft Lynch then resign Fitzpatrick. Start Fitzpatrick this year and next year have Petty vs Lynch surely one will be franchise worthy. And if both are the we just get more draft picks later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

10. KingRoach

No way in hell Mo for their 7 is anywhere close to reality. If the 2 qbs go 1-2 then the consensus for the next 5 picks are Tunsil-Ramsey-Bosa-Buckner-Jack. The 49ers would walk away with one of those players with a minimal cap hit over the next 5/6 years. I could see Mo for somewhere in he 11-21 rage for a straight up pick trade but no way we get in the top 10 with just him.

11. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

I agree we won't get in with just him... but Baalke probably wants Davis gone at this point he would get rid of him super cheap... maybe one to what we got Marshall for depending how well he kept in shape... so mo + a 3rd for it may work and secure a rt for us.

12. KingRoach

Mo and a 3rd could get us their 1st but as I've said a few times; the only thing that makes sense from every perspective is Mo and our 4th for Davis and their 2nd.

13. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

I think it could work just the same. Hell I would even throw I a seventh rounder. But getting their first and Davis for mo + our 3rd may do it. If we want a first and maybe more for mo I am sure a 4th or 5th alone could get Davis. So the 3rd could help push us into the trade. Give us a possible solid right tackle (barring injury, retirement, or other issues since he hasn't played in a year) plus another first.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I don't want to give up any more picks in a trade. rather trade Mo for some mid rounders and a future first. That thing people keep saying about future picks being worth less is only true if you're a GM on the hot seat.

15. Br4d

Most of the GM's on the NFL are one bad season away from the hot seat.

It's true that future picks should be a good build strategy, since they can't get injured or suspended or bust out on you in the given year, however not many GM's have an iron grip on their job.

16. Br4d

Half the players taken in the top 10 bust or disappoint. Mo will do neither of those things for whoever acquires him.

If the Browns don't decide to take a QB they should trade for him just because he won't bust for them as so many of their 1st round picks do.

And BTW I don't think that Mo is anywhere near as valuable as the 2 pick in this draft but for the Browns that 2 pick might well be Courtney Brown all over again. For a QB it's worth it, for Bosa or Jack or Buckner it is not because... they're the Browns.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Bad seasons result from bad drafting. dudes that draft bad don't deserve to be GM's.

KingRoach likes this.
  18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Well then when we get the 2 we should just trade it for some other vet because we're the Jets and hey at least that guy won't be Gholston or Milliner.

19. Br4d

If we were terrible every year like the Browns we might just do that.

You can't compare the Browns to any other team in football right now. 15 years of terrible football. They're like the Giants in 1979.

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Not arguing they're pathetic just the logic of that trade is unrealistic