Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

That if they want to sign him to a long term contract, after that date he has to play under the franchise tag designation.

Muhammad Wilkerson doesn't have to sign that tender till the regular season.( can miss all the Ota's and Training camp - will sign it before the season as that's when he starts to get paid.

One thing I must mention as long as he doesn't sign that tender, he isn't guaranteed the 15.7 million dollars for one year. The jets can pull that franchise tag at anytime if he doesn't sign the tag. Yes he would become a unrestricted Fa, but there would be a good chAnce he might not make 15.7 million next year.( if that happened)

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, thanks for the clarification. My mistake.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Mo doesn't sign, he sits out and doesn't get paid. He can't play for another team.

Edit: Answered already. Didn't notice.

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

He didn't sign his franchise tender yet?

5. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

No not yet. The reason why iS if Wilkerson signs his franchise tag tender immediately — which he almost certainly would not do — then he can't negotiate with other teams.
    No team is going to give up two number one picks , but Willerson is hoping if the Jets won't give him a long term contract, maybe a team trading for him will be willing to.

#145 Ohnoit'sGeno, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    RochesterJet likes this.
  6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I look at it like.. he's already paid for, so whatever happens, happens. Wouldn't that just lower his own value even more than it already is?

7. JetLifeLo

idk NC .. i'm reading now that if a player doesn't sign he CANNOT play the season for any team unless the original team removes the franchise tag and deals him before the final due date of when it must be signed.. i'm going to keep reading more into it though to know for sure.

8. JetLifeLo

Is wilk under the exclusive or non-exclusive franchise tag? Must be exclusive becauce i didn't hear of any teams attempting to sign him.. & if it were non exclusive we'd be gettin 2 first rounders if someone made a deal with him.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Mo doesn't sign the tender by 7/15 he can't work out a deal with the Jets (or any other team) after that date. He has to play for the franchise tag next season. If he doesn't sign the tender at all he cannot be traded and he can't play for the Jets and he can't be signed by any other team. At some point after 10 games he can be tolled over until next season by the Jets when he would once again be franchised under the terms of this season's contract. He effectively would lose a year's service at that point.

Once the season starts the Jets cap would gain back a game check's worth of money for every game Mo missed. Under that scenario he likely would come in after week 10 and report for the last 6 weeks of the season to get credit for the year. The Jets would have retroactively recovered 10/16 (I think) of his cap number by that point. If the Jets were looking to be tit-for-tatty at that point they might well question his fitness to play and create a messy situation with his year of eligibility. He'd ultimately win that battle on appeal but he'd probably sweat some as the implications dawned on him.

nycarl likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I was wrong. That July date is the date the Jets have to sign Mo long term by.

I think the Jets can apply the tag for 3 successive seasons and have control over Mo. He'd either have to sign and play or sit and not get paid. What's the point of keeping a player here that doesn't want to be here however? If Mo winds up being here this season, the Jets will already be paying him more than they think he's worth for this season. How/why would they want to keep him and pay him even more next season? The other issue is that he doesn't have to sign until right before the season starts. That not only means would Mo and the Jets new DL mates would not develop any chemistry during OTAs and TC, but that he would be more injury prone once the season starts. When players hold out through OTAs, TC, and preseason, they inevitably get hurt within the first few games of the season because they aren't in game shape. This year Mo is recovering from a broken leg, which is an easy recovery. Next season, he could be recovering form a torn achilles tendon, an ACL, a listfranc injury or something much more serious that would make trading him impossible. He has to go now.

11. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification, Br4d. All the more reason why Mo should be traded now. Fans/Posters who want Mo to stay for one more season are nuts.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That looks really bad for Mo to be honest in terms of his stock. Players that sit out for games, it never ends well for that player. If he wants to waste part of his career [going into his prime] sitting out for a year, that could really damage his stock.

I'd keep him just to make him and his agents sweat. Players always tend to fold in the end. Our cap issues isn't as bad as people think.

13. NCJetsfan

What? You can't be serious! We have something like $180k in cap space and can't even sign our draft picks, much less any players cut following the draft or TC, or have any emergency cash for during the season. The idea of keeping Mo at this point is flat out nuts. They have almost nothing to gain from having him here. With his not having to sign until just before the season starts (or later), he will miss all the offseason practices, TC and preseason games. Players who do that almost always wind up suffering a serious injury and then are done for the year. If you think Mo is hard to trade now, what will it be like when he's coming off a torn achilles, acl or a listfranc injury? Hopefully, Carton is right. The Jets have a trading partner for Mo, and they have an agreement in place with Fitz.

14. 101GangGreen101

Nah, I'll keep him, if he injuries himself next season in a game because he decided to play the money game then he will walk next year anyway and get a significant lesser offer, and we have plenty of cap space after this year. I would much rather cut Giacomini, restructure Decker and Skrine's contracts. If they can find a trade and that trade is fair, then go for it, but you don't trade Mo just to trade him, otherwise just let him walk next season and take the comp pick. I'm calling his bluff.

You aren't going to fill each and every need in 1 off-season. Continue to get young good talent via the draft.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

16. JetLifeLo

Trust me i agree on everything you said.. it's all about if Mac is willing to gamble that another team will bite next year. But like I said.. the extra year will give us some real clarification going forward. Lets say Leonard Williams finds his stride tallies 10 sacks next year as a rotational guy or in sheldon's suspension absence (if one happens), then we can either let Mo walk while we drool over our new stud in Leo, or we go head and tag Mo again with 100% willingness to trade him for something more reasonable, maybe a 2nd and a player or something along those lines..

Or maybe Mo tallies up numbers similar to 2015 but we still don't go nowhere.. that would be 4 years with Mo and Rich and still no playoffs. Obviously having them both would by then prove to be irrelevant as far as our success going forward.

17. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

If it's to get in position to draft Goff or Wentz I'm all for it. I have no idea how to evaluate Wentz but if they believe he's going to develop in a great QB then Wilk can be shown the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

This is what a lot of posters forget......this is a going to be more than a one year project......and Mac is trying to do it on the fly before the Marshall, Harris, Revis, etc. window closes altogether. I'd like to add that you can't have all-pros at every position......

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Very possible...if Mac really likes Wentz Wilk could be a throw in to move up. Reward is a potential franchise QB and salary cap room....

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I love Wentz (see Avatar) but I don't think he is worth trading up for. I also question the fit with our current scheme.