Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If Fitz wins the VLT for the Jets, he's is welcome to the entirety of the 2017 NYJ salary cap. I'll happily take a down year.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

We need to carve out $750K for Tanner Purdum.

_

JetLifeLo likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right that there is no such thing as a cream puff schedule. I submit that Baltimore only won 2 games last year because they had more injuries and players on IR than any other team in the league.

Things will definitely change following FA and the draft. Some teams will surprise by being better than everyone thought and some will be worse than everyone thought. It happens every year.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's very sporting of you! ;)

5. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

I have honestly been thinking about this and I dont want to resign fitz anymore, I still think we should bring in a vet (not hoyer) but any vet we can find with game experience and let them compete with petty/geno and let bowles/chan start the best player.

I know its not smart to evaluate a player on one game, but when you are in the NFL for 10 years and you are playing in the BIGGEST game of your entire life, playing with the best talent you have ever had and arguably the best defense you have ever had backing you up. playing against sub .500 team and you completely blow it... I dont want you on this team. I seriously think on that day specifically Geno would have gave us a better shot to win.

If that is what you do when all is on the line, im not going to break the bank to bring you back and I applaud mac for standing his ground. we need winners if we want to win.

(not saying nameless vets/petty/geno are winners but they are already on the roster/cheap... in a perfect world petty would have progressed enough win the gig and will play like sanchez year 1-2 and preferably not implode and instead keep improving)

#2125 BZanZ, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to give Fitz the money he wants, but as you said, evaluating a player on one game is not smart.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I hate that the narrative has been set up as the season hinges on Fitz's signing. How did we let it come to this?

FJF and The 1985er like this.
  8. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

Full disclosure i haven't looked back but I bet any other time he was in a big game he played poorly to based on him never entering the playoffs.

Although in most cases it's not smart to judge on one game when you factor in his career and how this game was like 10 years on the making, it was his chance to make a name for himself and he fails miserably I feel it holds more weight then any other game in his career.

9. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

It was either Fitz or everybody else we signed this offseason, I thought Stokes was just having a bit of fun with his 750k for Purdum comment. Apparently it's nothing even close to a joke. As it stands the Jets have 175k left under the cap. As it stands it looks like we couldn't even sign our draft picks without releasing/trading somebody.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I thought there was money already set aside for the rookies?

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Gotta have a good hand for that. MacCagnan has a pretty s****y hand Geno and a unproven and by all accounts not ready Petty.

12. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I never really paid close attention to how that whole thing worked. I assumed from general talk you had to be so far under the cap so you could sign your rooks. If that's the way it does work and there isn't some sort of allotment aside from the cap then yea. But right now according to over the cap they Jets have a flat 175k left under the cap. Which makes us absolute dead last in the league for cap space. Next spot up is the Denver Broncos with a mil and change. I'm guessing that's why the Kap trade is being held up.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I assumed the cap figures accounted for the rookies and shows what's left.

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Within two weeks from now we will know if Fitz is the QB. If they don't sign him on or before April 18th, the Jets walk away and make other plans. So Fitz and his agent better shit or get off the pot.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They do not. We will need to create cap space to sign the rookies.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Bluffing is a big part of winning poker

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

And they better be wearing their brown pants that day.

_

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the salary cap number accounts for your draft picks

19. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

He got the best hand you can have. That is nobody else wants Fitz.

20. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Carton (Boomer & Carton) said that he was told this weekend that the Jets and Fitz have an agreement in principle but he can't sign it (and they can't announce it) until they make some moves to free up some Cap space.