Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Lol it's like we can't afford to keep Mo and can't find a way to get rid of him. Is this sheldon's last year under his rookie deal? If we don't get a trade for wilk now, next summer is going to be nuts negotiating with both of them.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I believe 2017 will be his 5yr extension and 2018 will be his franchise tag year.

3. JetLifeLo

oh wow that's key... and yeah i forgot 1st round picks get that 5th year now.. so maybe if we can't get what we're looking for in return for Wilk this year we can tag him again next year and try it over. I would.

4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact number but I think the $$ goes way up if you tag someone a second time.

5. JetLifeLo

really? that's news to me.. you could be right though, i had no knowledge of it.

6. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

I believe the player gets 120% of his last year.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

And the third (and final year) it goes up to 144% of his prior year.

_

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The Jets want Fitz back and so do the fans, so the team should give a incentive based contract that could (if a miracle happen), double the original offer.

Types of incentives are classified as "likely to be earned" and "not-likely to be earned". "LTBE's" count automatically against a Club's Salary Cap entering into the season the incentive is tied to. If an "LTBE" is not achieved in the given season, then the Club will receive a credit of the unearned amount towards the following season's cap number. "NLTBE's" don't count immediately against a Club's Salary Cap.

List of 10 possible incentives we could use for Fitz in the regular season (16 games):
    Completions: 330 LTBE / 400 NLTBE
    Attempts: 500 LTBE / 600 NLTBE
    Completion Percentage; 60% LTBE / 65% NLTBE
    Passing Yards: 3,500 LTBE / 4,500 NLTBE
    Passing TDs: 30 LTBE / 36 NLTBE
    Rushing Yards: 300 LTBE / 500 NLTBE
    Total Yards (Rush+Pass): 4,000 LTBE / 5,000 NLTBE
    QBR: 60 LTBE / 70 NLTBE
    Passer Rating: 85 LTBE / 95 NLTBE
    Start all 16 games LTBE / Take 100% of QB Snaps NLTBE

List of 12 additional incentives for post season:
    Jets make the playoffs
    Fitz starts for a playoff game
    Jets get Home Field Advantage for at least one playoff game.
    Jets win a Wild Card Game
    Jets win a Championship game
    Jets go to the SB
    Fitz starts the SB
    Jets win the SB
    Fitz wins MVP of SB
    Fitz named Jets MVP of the Year
    Fitz wins League Offensive Player of the Year
    Fitz win League MVP

* All together this would give Fitz 32 major incentive, with about 12 of them being LTBE. Give all LTBE incentives a $100,000 to $200,000 value and all NLTBE incentives a $250,000 value. This would inflate the $7-$8 million a year offer on the table, by another $7 million and push the contract value to around $15 million a year. His true earning would be around $10 - $12 million a season if he performs well. Which is more than four times his salary last year and give him the only guaranteed starting QB position left available.

Just food for thought.

hwismer, PulseJet and Martin&theJETS like this.
  9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Good post... If Fitz has a +65% completion percentage, over 4,000 passing yards and over 30 TD's the Jets should pay him the 15mio per year he deserves, because they will have a very successful year. Fitz should be all over that, as those stats are very achievable with Forte in the mix. That guy will be a huge release valve for the offense and Fitz will be able to improve his completion percentage on dump offs to Forte alone. It makes sense for both sides actually, as Fitz doubles last years salary as a base and if he just does what he did last year he stands to hit his number.

RochesterJet likes this.
  10. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Have you seen this years opponents? It's not like last season cream puff schedule that resulted in 10-6.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good thought, but I don't think that can or will happen. Unless I'm mistaken (which I may be), in order for that to happen, at a minimum Mo and Giacomini, or maybe Brick will have to be cut, because the Jets would have to have at least $12 million in cap space in case he earns all the LTBE incentives. The NLTBE incentives go on the following year's cap, so we wouldn't have to worry about those. Both Mo and Giacomini would have to be cut because Mo's salary alone wouldn't give the Jets the necessary $12 million cap space AND the $4 million or so needed to sign the draft picks. Mac isn't going to cut Giacomini prior to the draft. The same goes for Brick.

12. PulseJet

Its a parity league. You dont know who will be the tough opponents in April.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Wilkerson is gone as soon as we get a dance partner with a 1st round pick. We will draft a OT if not two and then Brick will be gone. Cap problem solved.

14. JetLifeLo

if he doesn't come back.. i'll say i enjoyed the hell out of it..for what it was worth.

15. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Arizona and Seattle
    are going to be tougher than cleveland, Washington, Houston, Tennessee, and
    Oakland. Specifically, all those pass defenses.

Ron

16. PulseJet

Yeah, it seems so.

17. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Well, we lost to two of those teams, so it's not like it's a 5 game swing. We're also not likely to lose to the Bills twice again.
    Baltimore ain't what they used to be, neither is Seattle, depending on where the game is.
    We could pull off another 10-6 season or better. We'll be a better team than last year. Cro be gone, a new punter, more time together... If Fitz returns of course.

PulseJet likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I love how people talk about cream puff schedule there is no such thing in the NFL.

Baltimore won like two games last year and the Steelers defense is awful. The other ones will be tough games also bit not unwinnable.

Some teams will be good that we thought would be bad and vice versa. We will see what happens.

zace likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I believe the journey of the Journeyman QB is coming to an end

If things play out right now, Denver trades for Kaeperniick at 11 mil or less

Denver ( and many other teams) never wanted Fitz so its just the Jets or retirement

Now that I think about it Jimmy Sexton never believed RF could fetch 18 mil but he put it out there for laughs or to appease Fitzs ego

20. PulseJet

Or, as news reports are saying this morning, Kaep wont take a pay cut, the Broncos wont pay full freight, the niners wont subsidize, and we're back to Fitz to Denver rumors. Fun stuff!