Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Then your post with the other guys posts are worthless since it appears he is untradable as other wise by now some kind of trade would have taken place. So U pay attn tks:mad:

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your not liking to bet the house on a top 5 pick, but the thing is, the Jets aren't really trading up to get that player. They're trading Mo to get the cap space and the best compensation they can. The compensation then would be a top 5 prospect. How would that player have so much unnecessary pressure? Players taken that high have pressure on them period. Again, the Jets aren't trading up to necessarily get that player. The purpose of the trade is to clear cap space. So I don't see all the added pressure.

Why wouldn't Jack be there? Who do you think is gonna take him? Tennessee could I suppose, but their best move is to take the consensus #1 pick, Tunsil, to protect Mariota's blind side. Cleveland's nuts if they don't take whichever QB they like. That would leave SD. Why do you think SD would take him?

How would trading Mo to Dallas be gambling with his job? That makes no sense to me. What are these two HR picks you refer to?

3. NCJetsfan

Why in the world would the Jets do that? That would be stupid and would accomplish nothing. It would mean they'd be paying him $18 - $19 million next season, and if they didn't want to pay him $16, why in the hell would they want to pay him $18-$19 million? They'd still have him for only one more year, be unlikely to sign him, and then lose him the following season.

:rolleyes::eek:o_O

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Well yeah obviously a top 5 pick has pressure no matter what. But in a scenario where we are giving up arguably our best player , not just defensively , but overall , PLUS our 1st rounder to move up 16 spots , the pressure will be multiplied by a million. In this market with our impatient fans and relentless media that is so life and death with each week , it would just be a tough situation for any player to have to face those questions.

Im totally on board with clearing the cap space. But adding an additional 1st rounder we could address a replacement for Brick. Which in turn would clear more cap space.

As for Jack , I think Cleveland takes him at 2. Someone will trade with Tennessee for number 1 and draft Wentz and Tunsil will go to San Diego at 3.

There are no 2 home run picks that Im thinking about. Obviously the whole draft is a toss up. But if Mac has faith in his scouts and knows what he's doing more than past GM's of ours , he can get 2 potential stars instead of 1. To me thats helpful when trading our best player away.

I think if we lets trade Mo to lets say Chicago or Philly , we could draft Stanley or Conklin for the o-line , plus keep our pick and maybe land Leonard Floyd at 20.

5. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification. I agree that some fans would place added pressure on whomever we drafted, but I don't think the team would , and would hope that the player would be smart enough to buy into what some dumb fans would say or do. After all, it's not like the Jets decided they really coveted that player, and then decided to use whatever they could to trade up and get that player. In that scenario, it's all about getting that one player. In the scenario the Jets are in, it really has nothing to do with any one specific player other than Mo. They're just trying to clear cap space and get the most in return for him they can.

WOW! I would be totally shocked if Tennessee trades down and doesn't take Tunsil. Some team would really have to blow them away with multiple #1 picks, otherwise, it would just be colossally stupid imo. Even if that were to happen, I'd be shocked if Cleveland took Jack. I have no clue what they think of Wentz vs Goff, but I would be very surprised (shocked to speechlessness really) that they didn't take whichever of those two QBs were sitting there at #2. I don't know much about SD's needs or how they value players, but could see them taking Tunsil simply because of the value of LTs and his being the consensus best player in the draft.

Two players can definitely be better than one, and if they could get both Stanley and Floyd, then that could definitely be better than Jack alone. I don't think that two players can be better than a good QB, however, and if the Jets like Wentz and he's sitting there at the #4 pick, then that could be huge. If the Jets got Wentz and he panned out, Mac would definitely look brilliant and could write his own ticket with the Jets or anywhere else if Woody tried to meddle too much.

6. irishwhip03

I think a team could just as easily trade up to 1 and draft Goff instead too. Not really much of a difference between each player IMO.

Guess its just a matter of preference for whichever team wants that to make that deal. Read a report last night that suggests there is over a 50 percent chance of the Titans trading out of that spot. And I just cant see a team making that deal if they didnt have a QB on their mind.

As for us I just prefer the idea of addressing two major needs. Three really if you include cap space.

Eventually Mac will be able to take a QB that can be labeled as "his" and like Tanny and Idzik , that will ultimately decide his legacy here. I just hope he doesnt take that chance this year.

7. NCJetsfan

I agree that if a team trades up to #1 it's to take a QB. I'm truly sitting here shocked that Tennessee may be thinking of trading out of the #1 spot. Of course the report could be just misinformation put out there by the Titans, but maybe they think they have a pretty good LT or aren't that high on Tunsil or feel like their team could improve more by trading down and having more picks. In addition, they may trade down to a spot where they could still get Stanley or Conklin. That would be a great move.

I like the idea of addressing two major needs as well. If they can get Chicago's #1, then that would be awesome. I really like Wentz's potential, but can't see taking him that high unless Mac is certain he will be a stud. As much as I like Jack, I think I would prefer having Stanley and Floyd, but if the player they got for Mo didn't pan out that wouldn't be good.

The thing is, I believe that Mac is building a solid foundation and Bowles is a good HC, so I don't see them drafting in the top 10 again any time soon. Mac is either going to have to be REALLY good/lucky and find a stud QB in the 2nd round or lower, or he's gonna have to trade the ranch to move up and get said QB. If Mo would get us to 4, and Mac believes in Wentz or Goff, this would seem to be the year to take the QB.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. irishwhip03

Everything Ive read on Tennessee has them in love with Ramsey. So they could trade back and still grab him.

And as much of a tossup as this year is for QB's , next year seems to be that much worse outside of Deshaun Watson who is pretty much guaranteed to be 1st overall. After him its a huge dropoff.

If we resign Fitz then yeah I agree , zero chance we draft in the top 10 even next year even with the difficult schedule , but with Geno or a stopgap like McCown or Hoyer , we could be looking at a tough year.

Thats looking way forward though.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think the writing was on the wall as soon as we drafted the big cat last year.... Now the question is how much can we get back for Mo?!

I keep coming back to the Browns as the destination. They have the cap room and actually need to spend significant money going into next year. I look at 2 possible trades:

1. Wilkerson for Joe Thomas + 32 overall
    In this trade we would cut Brick and Breno replace Brick with JT and draft a OT with either 20 or 32 to replace Breno.

2. Wilkerson for #32 + 4th + conditional 3rd 2017 (Mo resigns with Browns)
    In this trade we keep Brick and use the money to sign Fitz or trade for a QB.

10. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Joe Thomas is great but he's also 31 years old, just a year younger than Brick. I'm not quite sure if he's the answer to our OLine woes.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Makes no sense because Mo at the end of the day chooses what team he goes. If he doesn't want to sign an extension with the Browns, the trade won't happen. No one wants to get traded to the Browns.

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

10 years Ive read your moronic posts. Kill yourself already, please

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Because back in the 1980s there was no salary cap and there was also more draft picks - 12 rounds I think. Drafting in position clusters was a little more common and in the 49ers case done superbly. Today the smart teams will spread the draft picks amongst different positions a little more evenly......the Jets struck gold in 2006 with their two first rounders of course. They were able to fill out the line over the next few years with less $$$ and great results for the most part. You can't have all-pros at every single position - too expensive - so why waste a third HIGH pick on the same position? In the Jets case I would be thrilled with 2 new starting OL in this draft and then maybe they find another G or a RT next offseason and you pretty much have a new young outstanding OL going forward. They need 2 LBs in this draft also.......could also use CBs, a WR/KR and of course a QB which may have to wait until next year also....this will be a 2 year process at least.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Rockinz

If the Browns are willing to pay what he wants he will want to go there.... Very few teams can afford him tbh

15. Rockinz

Ya he would fill a big void for 2/3 seasons and is $5 mil less than Brick

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he doesnt want fair market value. he wants more. if he wanted FMV he'd have signed

17. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Well you look at a player like vernon who just got a stupid ass con tract and wilk is better of course he is gunna wanna more than fair market value

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

By definition, fair market value is what Mo would have gotten if he had hit the market at the start of free agency, not what you or the Jets think he's worth.

19. NCJetsfan

Seriously? I understand getting pissed at people, not liking them, telling them off, putting them on ignore, etc., but urging someone to kill himself? That's over the line.

Freddy Mondo and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. The point wasn't even about whether Mo wants the fair market value.
    2. The point was: Fair market value is simply not fair. [It's an overpriced tag. I explained why.]
    3. If Mo wants more than fair market value - he should be shipped out of here. If nobody wants to trade for him, there is a reason. His asking price is just too high.

NCJetsfan likes this.