Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

It is if the front office is not willing to burn a significant portion of cap space in future years by converting a lot of base salary into signing bonuses this year. Macc does not appear to be willing to do that. Consider that his only restructure so far was Carpenter, who has played great and he clearly expects to be around for a while. Macc is doing everything he can to preserve future cap space by not restructuring a lot of players, especially players who may not be here so they then have a larger dead money hit when you cut them.

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

id look back to the year we took fergeson. we passed on bush and leinart. that worked out well.

3. jerseyjay14

what if no one offers that? let him play out the year and then walk and we get just a 3rd rounder?

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If we do this trade and get Bosa we set the team back 10 years. However, if we go for Wentz or Tunsil, then that is a shot worth taking. I would rather stay at 20 and draft our defensive bust there.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. According to the trade value chart, moving up from #20 to #4 is the equivalent of getting the #17 pick in the draft. It's not an additional pick, but they may not get one of those anyway. Even if they trade with the Bears, the compensation may be something akin to what Br4d suggested, the two teams swapping 1st and 2nd round picks or something of that nature, or they may only be willing to give the Jets their 2nd round pick. If they did give the Jets their 1st round pick then that could be a better move if Mac doesn't want Wentz or Goff or Jack, but if he really wants one of those 3 players, then it wouldn't be a better move.

In addition, depending upon whom Mac really liked/wanted and who was available, they could be getting a potential stud and impact player for the Jets, which more than likely they wouldn't get with a 2nd round pick or even lower 1st round pick. For instance, Myles Jack has the talent and potential to be every bit as good a player, if not better, than Mo, and at perhaps a more impactful/important position. Also, let's say that Mac really likes Carson Wentz. If Cleveland takes Goff, then Wentz is sitting right there for the Jets at #4 and he could prove to be the franchise QB we've been lacking for so long. Even if Cleveland takes Wentz, then some team may covet Goff enough to give the Jets several picks to move up to #4 to take him.

6. NCJetsfan

Do you really think the Jets are going to be able to sign Mo long term? They've been trying for 3 years. Mac knew the desperate situation he would be in if he applied the tag to Mo. I'm sure he knew last season when he had the cap space and money to pay Mo, that Mo was not going to remain a Jet because of what Mo is demanding.

7. NCJetsfan

If it takes place, it will have to be before the draft. Whichever team wants to trade for Mo will have to have time to negotiate and sign him to a long-term contract. No one's going to trade for him for a one-year rental and hope they can re-sign him later. Any trade will be contingent upon that team's ability to sign Mo to a long-term contract. During the draft there wouldn't be enough time for that.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Good post. Spot on imo.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That means Mo should know his value too. He is not getting that big fat contract either. Jets should extend.

10. NCJetsfan

If it hasn't happened by now, it's not gonna happen imo. I don't think Mac will ever sign a contract with Mo where there is anything even remotely close to $40 million in guarantees or for $16 million per season. If Mo were to come down to $14 million per season and $10 million in guarantees it might happen, but I don't see him doing that. He can simply play out this season for $15.7 million, then be a FA and have teams bidding against each other for his services next year.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think it's unlikely at this point, but wouldn't rule it out. It wouldn't be the first time a player was franchised and then signed long term at a later date.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I think we choose Wilk over Fitz. We cut Brick and Breno and draft two offensive tackles in the first 4 rounds. However, I can also see Mo being moved for a 2nd round pick.

13. NCJetsfan

True, but in this case, I think Mo would have to drastically cut the amount of guaranteed $s (at least by half, if not a lot more) and also cut his yearly average (by $2-$3 million per season), and I just can't see him doing that.

14. NCJetsfan

That will never happen. Book on it. That's probably the very worst thing a GM could do to himself. It puts an insane amount of pressure on him to get those players. That insures that he HAS to draft players at those positions who are ready to play and every other team in the NFL knows it. If he wants to trade up (which he'll almost certainly have to do), other teams are going to demand a premium. In all likelihood, he'd wind up having to reach for players and/or burn multiple 1st round picks to be able to move up. That would be colossally stupid and Mac is not stupid. Smart GMs don't draft for need in the first 2-3 rounds.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its amazing how many guys are so into pro football but have no clue about college.

its also amazing how much posters liking a guy makes him worth so much more than what the market dictates. a trade will be very difficult to do, and it will not get hte jets a kings ransom. be happy to possibly add new younger players in postions of need that are bpa and the fact it would be a huge help to the cap.

i would be very happy with ronnie stanley

16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I just dont like betting the house on a top 5 pick. And I like Myles Jack a lot. but I really dont even think he's going to be there at 4. So then what are we left with? Bosa? Wentz? Ramsey? Its playing with fire IMO.

Plus whoever that player is will have so much unnecessary pressure on him from the second his name is called.

If Mac and his scouts know what they are doing they could set us up nicely for the next 5 years with two homerun picks instead of basically gambling with his job.

17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Turn the roles around and the Jets fans are screaming to trade the 1st because "there is no way we can be guaranteed to find this type of talent, guaranteed!!!"

From their perspective they would spend a pick on a proven player, not a potential bust.
    That's said, I'd offer Jets 2nd.

18. jerseyjay14

they have been trying to for a few years. if mo was willing to take reasonable money, hed have signed long ago. were past that. he its a lock he isnt here long term unless he changes his mind real fast

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

In a way, I do feel that, hard salary cap gimps the players a lot more than it gimps the league or the owners.

=============================================================================

That said - NFL players are not playing in EPL - they should accept that. The [fair market price] is not fair at all; it's more than likely a king's ransom from a desperate team. Face it; We have some 22 starters in every team, if not more [subs that play significant share of the plays, for instance.] Imagine what would happen if all 22 got the [fair market value.] The cap will explode. [This alone means "that fair market value" is but an overpriced tag.]

So - here we are. If Mo is as good as he thinks he is, then Jets shouldn't have any problem getting two high quality picks. If Jets are not getting the kind of offer that matches Mo's caliber, then quite possibly Mo isn't as good as he thinks he is; or maybe that's the [market evaluation of him.] If he wants that fair market value on his contract, then he should also come to the realization of the fair market evaluation of him as well. He can't just take the money value then ignore the rest because that's not expedient for him.

So - I am simply playing along the tunes of the player. I am not saying this is what must happen; if he is as good as he thinks he is, then Jets should trade him away for picks. If not - I wouldn't mind seeing him walk after the season. He WILL pick up that huge paycheck, but that won't be from the Jets.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nah if we wanted to keep him we could again franchise tag him again :mad: