Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

While I understand what you're thinking there's no way the Jets draft 3 OL - especially in the first 3 rounds. OT and either a G or C at some point yes. You may see them take a guy like Martin from Notre Dame and play him at RG for the next year or so......Mangold has a couple of good years left in him and with the future salary cap ramifications it isn't always wise to draft in such a tight cluster for one position or should I say one area - in this case the OL. I do agree they will draft OL and LB - probably two players each ....

#41 mrjet80, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. mrjet80

I agree - there's too many holes right now to worry about a RB in the first round.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The obvious thing to do that's best for the team would be to cut or trade the older D Brick and keep the tounger Wilkerson.But Mac seems hell bent on getting older instead of younger.Everyone he brings in is over 30 or almost 30 and everyone that leaves is under 30.If we trade Wilkerson I will lose all faith in Mac ,the cap is in such bad shape because of all the money he spent last year, so to solve the problem he created we are gonna trade our best player in his prime?

4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

If they trade Mo? Doesn't that free up his 15mil salary?

5. mrjet80

I think Mac is trying to stay competitive realizing the team's core has about 2 years left while trying to rebuild and replace that core on the fly......I think. The way I'm seeing it by the time the 2018 season comes around the older vets like Revis, Harris, Brick, Marshall, Fitzpatrick and possibly Mangold will all be gone and the plan is to have their replacements in place. That's why this draft is so important. As far as the older FAs go Mac really doesn't have much choice this year......plus he is trying to replenish or should I say acquire players from the 2008-12 draft years - those 5 drafts outside of Wilk produced basically nothing - the Jets cupboard is bare. But these next two drafts along with some decent salary cap availability next offseason is supposed to turn the team around....

6. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Mac had to spend all that money last offseason. With some moves we could have 50 mil in cap space if I'm not mistaken.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Maybe 3 is an overkill, but then I don't see why that's such a bad thing. What matters is not if Jets draft 3 OLs in one draft; what matters is if Jets can fix the OL and the salary cap for the upcoming season.

If it means anything, Bill Walsh picked 4 DBs in one draft back in 1981. He got Ronnie Lott [10-year all pro safety], Eric Wright [10-year all pro CB], Carlton Williamson [2-time pro bowler] and Lynn Thomas. Of the four, Walsh got 3 all pro DBs that took care of the back end of the defense for the entire 1980s. [That last spot was filled when a journeyman CB Dwight Hicks rolled along, proving the world how dumb and blind they all were.] In that light, I don't see why picking 3 OL is necessarily a bad thing like you suggest.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Pay attention yourself they have been attempting to trade Mo for months now but nobody else wants him :mad:

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

i'm with you NCJetsfan ... if we go up to 4, Myles Jack all day.. our defense would be absolutely ridiculous especially in coverage in the middle of the field. Bruce Carter is back in his comfort zone in our defense and lets just say he looks like he learned a lot from Sean Lee in his Dallas days, he plays that zone so perfect in the middle of the field, yeah the one that Harris and Davis made a fool of themselves & our defense trying to do.

Plus we could sick Myles and Pryor on gronk ^_^

Let's not forget Jaylon Smith's being reevaluated before the draft again soon.. He looked just as good as Myles Jack if not better before that injury, of course Jack is the safer option now but if we can't get Jack we still may get something similar later in the draft.

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

but that's not the point since you said we wouldn't have money to sign the 4th pick overall even though the whole thing is under the premise of TRADING MO FOR THE FUCKING PICK. pay attention

11. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

We don't know that. Maybe they just haven't gotten a deal they like yet.

12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

To trade Mo and the 1st to Dallas just to move up 16 spots would be dumb.

The Bears look like the most realistic trade partner at this point..Eagles too to a certain extent.

And if either of those teams offer their 1st rounder for Mo you take the deal in a millisecond.

Getting Stanley or Conklin with the 1st pick and then using our original pick on defense, would greatly improve this team.

More than anything I just want some risks out of Mac in this draft.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

From a Jets perspective, I wish the Bears are that stupid. Looking at it from the Bears' perspective, they have the cap space but they are simply not good enough to trade away their 1st round pick. Besides having cap space, teams that trade away their 1st round pick for a high price all pro vet are usually those on the verge of contention. Of the teams that pick before us, I can see the Bucs, Jags and Raiders as the teams that fit that bill.

14. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The thing Im seeing with the Bears though is they seem to be pretty all in with their defense. And Mo would take them to the next level.

What are the chances that 11th pick is a player that will give them similar production for the next 3-5 seasons? Probably not very good.

I think it would help both teams out in different ways.

To me its very doubtful the Jets trade him to another AFC team. Bucs could be a decent choice but they are picking 9th. Something about those inside the top 10 picks make me think teams arent very willing to give em up unless its for more draft picks.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Bears would essentially be moving down from 11 to 20. Not a chance they trade the 11th overall + shell out a new contract for Mo without receiving more compensation. We will need to give up a pick as well and more than likely it will be a shot to move up.

That would be a win for the Bears for sure. Their front 7 would be complete with the addition of Mo. They have the linebackers and the defensive line.

16. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

They don't really have a choice but to trade him. Their cap situation is such that they absolutely need the $16 million or so of cap space that trading him would bring.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

there are other reasonable ways of getting cap space.

for example:
    * signing him long term and make this years hit much lower
    * drafting an LT early and cutting brick

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Is there any reason why this (possible) trade would take place before the Draft? Or will this be part of a frantic phone call on April 28?

20. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

If they were going to sign him long-term it would already have been done. The simple fact of the matter is that to the Jets he's not worth $16 million plus a year. The Jets have Richardson and Williams and how many really good starting 3-4 DEs do you really need? That $16 million could be employed much better elsewhere. Wouldn't you rather spend that money on a really good OLB or on 4 or 5 good but not great players.

The Jets appear to be going for the 4 or 5 good but not great players which is a really smart strategy. I'm very impressed with this front office - I've been a Jets fan since the early 80s and this is far and away the best front office I can remember. The difference between a good and great player is not very large (the great player might win a few more matchups), but the good player goes for a fraction (in many cases 20% or so) of the cost of a great player. The team is generally better off with 4 or 5 good players than one great player. With the exception of the Revis signing (and maybe Skrine) this has generally been the path this front office has pursued and the Jets did not have an NFL secondary and they had money they had to spend, so those signings made sense. It's really uncanny how virtually everyone the jets signed last year (with the lone exception of Cromartie) turned out to be a really good fit for the team - Revis, Skrine, Carpenter, Gilchrist, Henderson, etc. and even Cromartie made sense since he helped the players transition to a new system that he was familiar with and he was signed to a deal that had no cap hit to cut him after the first year.

If the Jets do draft an NFL ready starting LT then Brick will be gone. If not and they draft an LT that they want to season a little bit as an RT first then it'll be Breno who gets cut (and maybe Brick would then be restructured). If they do not draft someone in the early rounds who they think can be a starting LT then Breno will likely also be gone with Qvade taking his spot. I can't see how one of them doesn't gets cut, but unless they find a good free agent veteran tackle in cutdowns at the end of training camp, I think its unlikely both will be cut. The reason the Jets haven't approached Brick yet is because they're not going to know what they want to do with him until after the draft. They don't want to ask him to restructure, which would typically result in guaranteeing his 2016 compensation by paying it to him as a signing bonus, if they draft an NFL ready starting LT in the draft.