Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've seen conjecture of the Jets possibly trading Mo to the Cowboys and swapping the #20 pick for the Cowboys #4 pick and also of possibly trading with the Bears and swapping some picks including getting the Bears' #11 pick.

I'm curious if either deal was pulled off, who would you like to see the Jets take at either #4 or #11. Of course, who the Jets could draft would depend upon whom the teams before them drafted, but if you could have any player fall to the Jets at #4 or #11 who would that be?

A scenario I've seen a lot is that Laremy Tunsil will go #1 to the Titans, Jared Goff will go to the Browns with the 2nd pick, and the Chargers take Jalen Ramsey with the 3rd pick.

If the draft fell that way, the Jets could choose between Miles Jack, Carson Wentz, Joey Bosa, and Ronnie Stanley just to name a few. They could possibly even trade down a spot or several spots to garner an additional pick or two and still get one of those players. At #4, I think I'd have to go with Miles Jack, although one could make strong cases for Bosa, Stanley and to a lesser extent, Wentz.

At #11, it's harder to project who might be available, but according to some mock drafts I've seen Ronnie Stanley would still be there, as would Jack Conklin. I've not seen enough to say definitively who I'd take, but since Stanley is rated higher, if I was satisfied that there was no merit to the work ethic rumors, I'd go with Stanley.

Who would you take and why?

EDIT: Laremy Tunsil is ranked by most as the top prospect in the draft class. He is a 6'5", 310 pound LT. He was a Jr. and played at Ole Miss.

Jared Goff is considered by many to be the top QB in the draft class. He is 6'4" and 215 pounds. He played at Cal. CBS Draft Scout has him as the #5 prospect in the draft.

CBS Draft Scout has Jalen Ramsey as the #2 prospect in the draft. He is considered by some the best CB in the draft and by others as the best FS. He played for FSU and is 6'1" and 209 pounds.

Miles Jack is by far the top ILB prospect in the draft. He is a 6'1", 245 pound speedy playmaking machine. He is an excellent tackler and is very good in coverage I believe. He played at UCLA.

Joey Bosa was a DE for Ohio St. He is the #3 ranked prospect by CBS Draft Scout and is 6'5" and weighs 269 pounds.

Carson Wentz is the #7 ranked prospect in the draft according to CBS Draft Scout and is the #2 QB in the draft. Others think Wentz is a better prospect than Goff. He is 6'5" and weighs 237 pounds. He played at North Dakota St.

Ronnie Stanley is the consensus #2 LT prospect in the draft. CBS Draft Scout has him ranked as the #9 prospect. He played for Notre Dame, is 6'6" and weighs 312 pounds.

Jack Conklin is the consensus #3 LT prospect in the draft. He played for Michigan St. and is 6'6" and weigh 308 pounds. CBS Draft Scout has him ranked as the #18 prospect in the draft.

#1 NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    nycarl and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I think it depends how they really feel about Petty if they don't trust him I would take the best available QB

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about college FB to make a pick.

But, if you don't mind.... Is that the best we could hope for, for Mo? to move up a few spots in the 1st?
    Would we be better off trading for another lower 1st, or another early-mid 2nd for him? Just to get the extra pick.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When you rattle off a bunch of college players most of us don't know anything about, please add a touch of info. For example, Laremy Tunsil (Mississippi OL, 6'-5" 305lbs). Thanks!

5. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

If the jets somehow got tunsil, he would start at LT day 1 and we wouldnt have to worry about the position for a decade

6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Go Ditka on a new punter.

matt robinson 17, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U R aware at this moment the NYJs have no money to sign a top 5 draft choice in fact at this time they have no money to sign any 1st round draft choice so they either have to cut or restructure or trade out of the 1st round :mad:

Ben Had and 74 like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Sorry, guess I made an ass of myself. LOL I assumed that every poster would know who the top 10 draft prospects or so were.
    It's the best I've seen in print. Trading up from #20 to #4 is equivalent to the Jets getting the #17 pick in the first round I believe. Most people are saying the best the Jets could get would be a 2nd round pick or its equivalent.

As for which would be better, that would depend upon a lot of factors. The additional pick sound good, as the Jets need more picks, but picking at #4, the Jets could get a real difference maker, which they probably wouldn't be able to do with a lower 1st round pick.

Do the Jets believe that Petty will be their QB of the future? If not, do they believe that either Goff or Wentz would/could be? If so, they'd need to be at #4 to get the one that Cleveland doesn't take. If that QB developed, the Jets would at long last have their franchise QB. If the Jets either believe in Petty or don't believe that Goff or Wentz are any better prospects than Petty, then it would put the Jets into position to get either Miles Jack, who has the potential to be a perennial All Pro ILB, or Brick's replacement at LT in Ronnie Stanley. They could possibly trade down from the #4 pick 1-3 spots, still get Stanley and garner an additional 2nd round pick. At #4, they would have a LOT of options in terms of players they could take or in possibly trading down, still getting a player they really like and adding an additional pick or picks, depending upon which players might still be available and which teams coveted that player or players. Personally, I think getting the #4 pick in the draft would be better, as it could get them a real stud or an additional pick or picks.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

LOL

10. NCJetsfan

Yes, but I have zero worries. Mac has a plan and the money will be there.

nycarl likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

Quigley was the 42nd ranked punter in the 32 team league

TNJet and Red Menace like this.
  12. matt robinson 17

Mo has to go and Ferguson has to restructure

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I honestly think I would rather have the #11 pick from the Bears.

The draft grades and positions line up a lot better for our team around that area of the draft.

Elliot - RB - OSU I think is the best player on this draft.

Hargreaves - CB - Florida - Extremely talented corner, love this kid on film.

Apple - CB - OSU - Very good press corner, has shut down ability.

M. Jack - LB- UCLA - I'm a bit reserved on him but there is no denying his potential. High motor, high ceiling type player. Just a little too raw right now for me.

Stanley - OT - ND He reminds me a lot of Brick, so this would be a great pick for us. IMO

Goff - QB - Cal - I think he is the best QB I'm this draft, I think he is a better prospect than Winston and Marriota last year. I'm always hit or miss when I evaluate QBs though. I do think he would be available though.

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Suppose the Jets went with Jack at 4 or somehow got Elliot at 11. Is there a reasonable chance that Stanley or Conklin would be available at 20?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

15. NCJetsfan

I know. The Jets will either draft a punter or sign a FA punter. Quigley (down under) will not be back.

16. NCJetsfan

Jack won't be available at #11 and I don't think Goff will be, either. That would leave Stanley as the only player I'd be really happy with at #11. I have zero interest in Elliot. With the Jets RB corps of Forte, Powell and Robinson, and Forte signed for 2 years, Elliot would be a wasted pick imo and not a good value, even though he's a very good, if not great RB. There just wouldn't be enough carries to go around.

Hargreaves and Apple are good players and would help the team, but I'd much rather they take a OLB. Taking a CB would make total sense, however as Williams is an unknown at the #2 CB spot, and we can't really count on Milliner or McDougle. If they didn't like Stanley or he wasn't available, then I'd hope they could trade down a few spots and take either Floyd or Conklin. If not, I'd understand the pick of Hargreaves or Apple and would be happy that they got such a good player.

#16 NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016
    amuck57 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I supposed anything is possible, but based on the projections I'm seeing, I don't see any way that either Stanley or Conklin would be available at #20.

I would not be happy with Elliot at #11. I wouldn't care if he was the BAP at that point. He would be a wasted pick. The Jets have Forte signed for 2 years with guaranteed money both years I think (but could be mistaken). [Just checked...Forte is guaranteed $4 million in 2017.]

They have Powell and have a good, young cheap back in Khiry Robinson. I just don't see a need or place for Elliot. There are only so many touches. While Elliot could start, Forte function as a 3rd down and change of pace back to keep him fresh and maximize his play, and the Jets could cut Robinson, that would leave Powell out in the cold. The improvement to the team would be marginal at best. I think the Jets could take about any other position at that spot and help the team more than they could at RB.

#17 NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016
  18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Damn.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Are you asking who would we take at 4 or at 11?

20. NCJetsfan

Yeah. Conklin would be the one most likely to be there at #20 unless there really is a problem with Stanley's work ethic and he drops, but then if there's a problem with his work ethic, would the Jets even want Stanley if he dropped to #20?