Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think you have that a bit backwards.

Mac is not going to do any restructures until it becomes necessary to do so to sign a player, he probably has deals on a cocktail napkin in his pocket with the agents of the players in question and he'll restructure when he wants to sign a player.

Restructuring Brick in a vacuum does nothing.

_

FJF and legler82 like this.
  2. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

Hoyer plays in the AFC south. Look at Fitz stats vs Jags, Colts, and Titans.

3. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

Lol, not too bad for a thread coming from me as I am a Buffalo native who was rooting for the Jets this past season as I thought they looked good and could finally tackle the Pats and I think Wrecks Ryan is too full of himself to coach a football team.

Given Kaep becoming guaranteed Fitz will likely soon sign with who offers more. Denver, the most likely competing candidate, is as screwed as we are in terms of the cap.

Fitz isn't the long term answer but if he signs, like I suspect he now will, next season will probably be competitive.

On a more light hearted note if Fitz signs tomorrow we should take open tryouts on the forum to replace Quigley, I think my 16 year old son can kick further.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Correct, he uses Smith as his leverage cause we will suck if he starts.

We need more options imo

5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I agree we need more options, weren't there reports of the Jets bringing in Paxton Lynch for a workout? Could be serious interest, or could be a power move to Fitz saying, "We will move on without you if you don't jump on board on our terms."

Not sure there's a better Offense for Fitz out there, may as well make decent money and end your career on a high note.

6. Beki

Beki Active Member

According to Jason Cole, we are holding the lines by Fitzpatrick and considering Brian Hoyer.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

With Macagnon in charge I think we can see some forward thinking beyond 2016

We need a franchise QB and it's not Fitz..Mac has a 3 to 5 year plan in place to develop the Pettys or a Paxton Lynch and settle for some mediocre records with a Hoyer or maybe Fitz but definitely move on from Geno and RF for the long run

Win now ? I don't think so

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind not seeing either of them here

Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, and this is a bad idea especially if they considered trading for Hoyer. He costs $5.25 million and probably a late round pick. Or pay a couple more million to have Fitzpatrick back. That is a no brainer to keep Fitzpatrick. If the Texans release Hoyer and you can get him at $4 million a year and no picks, I think that is better. Like I posted on one of these 103 pages, I used to like Hoyer. He completely melted down last year though. Jets fans criticized Fitz for his effort in the Bills games, but Hoyer takes the cake. Just awful. In fact: if the Jets would have played Hoyer instead of Yates, they would have probably been in the playoffs at 11-5. Haha.

10. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

what does holding by the lines mean exactly?

11. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Think Fitz is looking for more than a couple more million or else he would have been signed if he was willing to take 7 to 8 million.

12. vokab206

looks like Hoyer could be cut soon. Weeden re-signed in Dallas 2 year $4 mill

13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The only legitimate use of Hoyer by the Jets is bait to get Fitz to resign.

Acad23 likes this.
  14. vokab206

As it should be. But as soon as Hoyer is cut, the Jets should be on the phone with Hoyer's agent. A 2 year $8 mill deal would be feasible if we can't bring back Fitz.

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if fitz is willing to take "just a couple million more" then hoyer then we dont have an issue. you sign him to the 7 million deal he is worth and call it a day. but he wants more.

id take hoyer at 5 million in a second. i cant image the pick compensation required to get him woudl be more then a connditional 6th or so

16. vokab206

only problem with trading for Hoyer is that he has one year left on his deal. Should give him a two year deal to avoid what just happened with Fitz.

NYJetsO12 and jerseyjay14 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope they won't trade for Hoyer, and I don't think they will. He will most likely be cut, and the Jets can sign him then if they have real interest. As for a two-year deal, I'm not sure about that. On the surface, it sounds like the best thing to do, as long as there is no guaranteed money. Petty should be given the opportunity to compete for the starting job next season. If he's not ready by 2017, he never will be. Geno will probably be gone, so the Jets would need a backup, but they may draft a QB this season or sign one as a UDFA. Even so, it would help to have a veteran QB on hand, so whether it's Fitz or Hoyer, the Jets should probably sign him to a two-year deal with all the guaranteed money coming in this season, so if their play is horrific, they can be cut following the season with no adverse cap implications.

18. vokab206

Fair enough assessment. I don't think Petty is going to be the answer as a starter since they are talking to other QBs in the first rounds though.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'd pump the brakes on that. They are talking to everyone.

_

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This Petty talk is ridiculous. For a team to remotely consider a 4th round QB for the starting job he would have to completely blow everybody away in limited snaps in camp and/or be the last man standing after a rash of injuries. The chances of Petty being the long term solution are slim to none.