Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Except the Knicks are now wishing they signed Lin... Let's hope thE same thing doesn't happen to us.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He is the best QB available. Not holding anything up. If he signs elsewhere, then you move to a McCown, or a Hoyer or a Glennon. Til then, no reason to sign someone worse.

4. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Lin isn't 33. I think he was 24 at the time. Different stages in their career. Fitz doesn't have options yet. Lin did.

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The difference is the Knicks butchered the situation by not giving Lin an offer first and having no plan whatsoever. They took the lazy route and just said, "oh get yourself an offer and we'll match" thinking nobody would give him an offer. Then Lin got the Rockets offer, the Knicks said they would match, then Lin goes back to the Rockets and gets the offer upped even more and the Knicks refuse to match. The Knicks simply had no plan because their management is/was terrible.

With the Jets, they at least made Fitz an offer, and they are doing the smart thing because they know he is demanding way too much. With Lin, they had no plan at all and lied publicly about their intents to match any offer.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't want to the derail the thread with Lin talk, but the Knicks were absolutely right not to match the Lin offer. The Rockets grossly overpaid him.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Lets not over look Fitz's intangibles. He is a very good leader and his team rallied behind him. Another overlooked quality of Fitz is his pocket presence. The Jets OL was not good last year but fitz was able to move scramble check blocking assignments and audible to good plays.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Jeremy Lin and Ryan Fitzpatrick both went to Harvard

NYJetsO12 and JetsVilma28 like this.
  9. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I disagree I think glennon can be a far better qb

Jets69 likes this.
  10. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

haha! I forgot about it.

11. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

If this goes last the draft then when do you draft a qb?

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Right now I don't think they need to draft a QB this year. No one in this draft imo is better than what we have on the roster now. Wentz is the wild card but outside of him I don't think Goff, Lynch, Dak, Cook, Hackenberg, Hogan are better than Geno or Petty. We need a veteran and if Fitzpatrick signs elsewhere then we should sign Hoyer or McCown to fill that veteran role.

13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

The scary thing is the 2017's QB draft class looks AWFUL.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We don't know what Petty can do right now. As for the rest of your analysis, you leave out that Smith sucks and the Jets have no faith in him.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I guess giving up something for him right now is not in the Jets interest. We will see. Chemistry is important. Fitz had it with the Jets. That is why I would want him back.

Big Blocker likes this.
  16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, and am thinking Glennon might be the best fit. The only potential cost to waiting at this point is if Fitz in fact goes somewhere else, then the Jets might be seen as having a bit less leverage, in that they will need to do something and other teams/FA options will know it. Everyone else knows they will not go into the season with Smith even if some here think they might.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The eye sees what the eye wants to see, which is why I prefer stats. And when looking at stats, there are two types of stats. General stats like passer rating, total QBR, and DYAR/DVOA which try to paint a complete picture of the QB and specific stats like the ones you posted. The problem with using specific stats to make your point is that you can cherry pick the ones you want to use and ignore the ones you don't. As a couple examples, Fitz piloted the top red zone offense in the NFL, led the league in sack percentage, was 10th in TDs and 15th in passing yards, had one of the quickest release times, and was one of the most efficient rushers if not the most efficient, I can't remember which. So rather than selectively posting some facts, you should look at the general stats, which show that Fitz is not a backup caliber QB. In an earlier post on this thread, I averaged out his passer ratings, total QBRs, and DYARs over the past six years and found that he was the 19th best QB in the NFL over that time period. That is not backup QB play.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

His qb rating was 88 that was 24th in the league. Thats below the league average. Trying to use that stat to evaluate a qb is bull anyway because it doesnt take actual play in. He had the 5th most ints and should have had double that. I mean im not jusy trying to be antagonistic, ive suppied the evidence. Hes a back up and the entire nfl feels that way. Thats why nobody wants to pay him.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Dude?

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets faced decent defense only handful times last year. [Defense with good DVOA that is. Texans for instance.] Fitzpatrick didn't fare well there. This season will feature a lot more teams with strong defense - I am not looking forward to Fitzpatrick show there. If he's asking 18M, he can take it elsewhere.