Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

It's exactly what happened to the Knicks and Jeremy Lin a few years ago. Fitz is an average QB who had a number inflated season because of his weapons around him. Just like Lin he wants to be paid for what he brought to the team and what he could bring next year. What the Knicks did was let the market set itself for Lin. The Rockets offered him a 3 year $25 million deal and the Knicks passed which was the right thing to do. With Fitz it's a little different because no one is meeting with him and there is very little interest. The Jets will probably match any offer that is given to him but at this point we don't know when that will come.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess I'm falling into the old trap of viewing a strength of schedule too early in the preseason, because I see a 6 win team, even with Fitz under center.

Then again, with the strength to schedule last season's opponents appeared to have this early in the offseason, I saw 8-8 at best and the NFC East fell into a shambles, so maybe 8-8 is closer to the truth for 2016.

Jake likes this.
  3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We'll see what happens once the Kaepernick situation plays out. He either resigns, or he plays for the 49ers or Broncos.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I do not think that Fitz is going to get offered more than than the 7-8 million per that the Jets offered by any other team.
    I truly believe that the Jets hold all the cards in this one.
    All that is left to be seen is does Mac have balls and holds his ground for what is best for the long term future of this team or is he a limp dick pussy who caves to the court of public opinion.

5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I agree and if that is truly the case what is the point of signing Fitz for 2 years.
    At this point the team is probably better off letting Geno and Petty fight it out in training camp and invest some elsewhere.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Word from inside the organization is that the Jets do not want to leave it to a contest between Smith and Petty. Perhaps something might come of this talk of Glennon, after all, although I don't think the rumor about trading Pryor is about a concept worth pursuing.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We have two huge balls in the air right now in the QB situation and the Wilk situation. A lot of times things that don't get settled in the first few weeks of FA get shelved until after the draft. I'm thinking the two could both come down on draft day. Wilk -> Cleveland? The Brick situation could play out then too.

You never know.

8. Big Blocker

There was always a real possibility that Wilkerson's situation could be dealt with by trade on or leading up to the draft. I thought that was lessened when Henderson went to the midgets. But it's still a real possibility.

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I disagree with that, I think he's been typecast as a journeyman but IMO he's got everything you would look for in an above average starting QB. He's never really had a good stable situation like he has now. Everyone has been lowballing his skills for years

10. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

He had a good stable sitch in Buffalo ... then he got paid ... caaaaa puuuuuuf

11. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Guess he's retiring. Just saw his resume on Dice from yesterday lol.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Fitzsexton trying to blackmail Jetsies to roll with him and his price or use Geno who had the starter job till IK

Petty still a project

This is an unpopular situation to have us start Smith or Petty and probably bodes poorly for the Season

Nevertheless, If Mac holds his ground Fitz will renegotiate his price or retire in my opinion. Of course, if Fitz retires there is no $ for Sexton so someone will budge.

I like RF and his chemistry but hey there are other fish in the sea.

13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to give the Jets a shot at matching any offer. If it comes down to equal money and it's the Broncos, he's gone.

14. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I'm over fitz at this point. Let's see what the bucs want for glennon and move on.

thirtyoddfreestyle likes this.
  15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He would have to sign the franchise tender for the Jets to trade him. So he would have to essentially agree to a trade. My guess is he would only do this if allowed to negotiate an extension with whomever the Jets want to trade with.

Big Blocker likes this.
  16. Big Blocker

I understand this sentiment, but I think the jets can give it a few more days.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha they can honestly give it until he signs elsewhere. If there is a true deadline, maybe the NFL Draft.

18. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

I'm feeling the same sentiment

19. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Why let him hold everything up. It's a joke he isn't some franchise savior

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Hold what up exactly?

HomeoftheJets likes this.