Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

no it wasn't similar lack of talent.

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

damn 95 pages in a month... most coming from starting on march 9th.

Let that man keep playing himself.

Shame on you people who think we should up our offer... The guy is not that special.. Last year was fun as all hell, but lets not get beside ourselves. Relish the fact that we have a real offense now and a REAL OC. Through Gailey, Marsh and Decker will lead us! If they can make gold out of wobbly arm Fitz they can do it with QB's that actually throw like professionals. Gailey will be in our QB's ear all day regardless for pre-snap adjustments.. doesn't take a Harvard grad to follow directions.

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I agree that it starts with Chan, Marsh, and Deck. What also made last year fun was the system familiarity Fitz brought and the intangibles (actually being likable and a leader). His physical talent isn't even top half of the NFL in terms of position. Goes to show how important balance is for a QB. GeNO has all the talent in the world but the mental part and lack of leadership negates all of that.

It's the best fit for Fitz and the best fit for the Jets. Both sides want to reunite and I think they eventually will. But the Jets need to set a timeline for Fitz because this can't derail the entire season. They get a deal done just before the draft IMO. Have a great Tuesday Jet fans!!

FlaJet and JetLifeLo like this.
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Wrong. In a negotiation you want to succeed when you think the other side is unrealistic, you do not go straight to your final offer that is most generous to them. You wait. You let them/lead them to see how they are unrealistic, how far off they are from a fair market priced.

It takes two to sign a contract. It's not just up to the Jets to arrive at a fair price. Fitzpatrick and his agent will have to come down some in order to get the negotiations in a reasonable range.

TNJet likes this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Jets were a very average team last year playing a cupcake schedule and they just couldn't overcome their many flaws. I hate to say this, but sometimes it's true: you have to watch the games.

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Except they werent an average team. There wasnt a single team in the nfl they couldn't beat. Many of those losses werent on talent, some were coaching, bad luck and others. Theres no team last season or this coming that this team couldnt beat, even with below average qb play.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RochesterJet likes this.
  7. Big Blocker

The problem with looking at the Jets not making the playoffs is that making the playoffs depends on the team's season long record. The Jets began 15 with a new HC and CS. While it turned out the OC and the Qb had some history, it still took some time to get the O in synch. The D also had some sorting out to do.

Some injuries happened at bad times, too. But given all of the foregoing, it is easy to see how close the Jets came to winning one more game, which would have gotten them into the playoffs. As it was they were kept out on tie breakers - 10-6 normally gets you a berth. So your statement is too negative, imo.

The Jets had an impressive run down the stretch but ran out of gas in Buffalo. They showed a lot winning when they did, as they did. They could have made a run if they had made the playoffs.

8. Big Blocker

This is just too negative. The Jets beat the Pats fair and square, and imo could have swept them with a couple of breaks. I think they only lost one game by more than one score, to Oakland, when Fitz got hurt.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Okay, but by that token you have to concede that there were only a few bottom feeders that couldn't beat the Jets on any given Sunday, too. The Jets opened the season with a ridiculous positive turnover ratio that directly led to them beating teams like the Browns and the Redskins. They couldn't beat powerhouse teams like the Eagles, the Bills, the Texans, etc. They needed to pull games out of their asses at the end against the Giants and the Cowboys.

They were the definition of average. This is very easily an eight win team this year, even with Fitz back under center.

Brook! and JetBlue like this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

But we didn't beat the Bills either time which has to be taken into account when comparing us to the teams that did make it. Those losses indicate a weakness of the Jets. The difference between the Steelers and Jets may not have been much but by the NFL's metrics they did just a little more and we can only fairly conclude they were at least slightly better.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Unfortunately 8 wins is being generous.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Really? Not a single one?

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Oh no i dont disagree with that assessment at all. Most those game we beat ourselves and were still in them. Not taking anything away from the other teams either. Im not saying were winning thw super bowl next season either. I just dont think this team is as far off as we think either.

When i say theyre a good team, i should probably specify its relative to the times. I certainly dont feel this is the best jets team ever, but in a talent depleted NFL, its certainly good enough.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No not at all. Evey team last season had huge flaws. This isnt the the 90s nfc east or anything anymore.

15. The 1985er

Wrong. If he's your starting quarterback you lock him up. You never risk your quarterback hitting the market and potentially signing with another team. It seems like the Jets are okay with losing Ryan.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe the Bills
    :mad::mad::mad:

17. Big Blocker

I am wrong that it takes two to sign a contract? Heh.

The Jets probably are okay with losing him if some other team way over pays for him, but that is not the point you are trying to make.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

6-10 if Geno, 8-8 if Fitzy. You are right. We were the definition of average team last year.

19. The 1985er

No wrong in the sense that if he's their guy you sign him based on what it cost to pay a franchise/starting quarterback. There wouldn't be a need for all this negotiations.

20. Big Blocker

Imo the Jets will likely pay more than the $7-8 mil some here talk about. But they will not offer more than that until they think Fitz's camp sees they are not going to get much more than that in FA.