Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You could find it if you look but bottom line is youre right for the most part last season they were exceptional in 3rd downs, a few bad games tho can misconstrue that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Eli has no real substance to win a championship? Tell that to his two championships. And as I've said to other posters, using team accomplishments to evaluate individual QBs is a futile endeavor (Dan Marino anyone?). Meanwhile, Rivers is tied for the 14th lowest interception rate of all time. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_perc_career.htm Also, saying Palmer sucks is a pretty big stretch considering how well he played outside that disaster in Carolina. And Tyrod Taylor wasn't elite, but he was far from terrible.

Anyway, you want to claim the NFL has a talent issue. So point to a specific era when the talent was better than it is now. I'll be happy to rip those guys apart for you, whoever they are.

3. HomeoftheJets

Can you show me it? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. I actually want to see it to know whether NCJetsFan has any point.

4. HomeoftheJets

@zace

As a fun exercise, I found Fitz himself on the all time interception rate list. We can all agree that a big weakness in Fitz's game is his high int rate. Compared to modern QBs, he throws a lot of picks. But all time, he's tied for the 63rd lowest int rate. Ahead of QBs like Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Jim McMahon, Boomer Esiason, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, and for kicks, Vinny Testaverde.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

But also keep it in perspective. He hasn't always been a starter. If he started more games, id wager it would be higher

#285 zace, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Jets were number 3 in 3rd downs on defense last season. As i said for the most part theyre exceptionally well[​IMG]

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Save for two fluke catches and a smothering pass rush, he doesnt win two super bowls. He was NOT the reason they won two. He simply didn't kill thwir chances. Rivers has never accomplished anything on a team with Floyd Gates LT and Vincent Jackson. Dont blame that on the defense.

You can see the games. Its not about yards. Its in penalties and drops and senseless sacks, and missed INTs and things like that. Like i said it has a lot to do with the way the season is structured now. Less practice, players are rushed into the Starting line up fastwr than they have in the past and theyre nkt prepared and things like that. The college game is very different from the pro game. Theyre not even close anymore.

Fyi Palmer also hasnt done anything. I recall him getting shut out by the jets in the playoffs last time he played for that team and they made the playoffs. Hes not even a record holder for anything.

#287 zace, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I don't understand that statement.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Typo sorry

10. HomeoftheJets

I do watch the games. I've also watched games from previous eras. I find the quality of play to be higher. You disagree. That's fine, but if you want your opinion to have weight, you have to back it up with more than the eye test, which you haven't yet done. Whereas I've cited multiple stats showing that QB play is better.

11. HomeoftheJets

That's what I found. I was using it to argue that the Jets third down defense isn't a problem. NCJetsFan was specifically mentioning third and longs, and he might have at least of somewhat of a point because our DL probably stuffed third and shorts better than anyone else. While I still doubt our third and long defense was a problem, I would like to find a stat showing how our defense ranked in stopping third and longs specifically.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im on your side on this argument. The jets had what a couple game streak where they didnt allow a 3rd down didnt they?

13. HomeoftheJets

Fitz has started 11+ games each season since 2008. He averages 13.375 starts per season in that time period. That's a pretty good sample size.

14. HomeoftheJets

I know. Maybe we did, I'm not really sure. I can see why NCJetsFan thinks we have a third down defense problem; the last Bills game is still probably in his head. But on the whole, third downs weren't our problem.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

True but those extra games can make a big difference in stats.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No we were actually relaly good on 3rd down last season.

17. HomeoftheJets

Not really. The stat wasn't average interceptions thrown per season over the course of a career, it was interception percentage. In other words, what percentage of the QBs throws result in a pick. For example, a QB can easily start five games per season and have a higher int percentage than a QB who starts every game every season.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Total affects the the pct. That being said stats of int and tds do not tell the whole story. No matter how you try and slice it, Fitz was not an exceptional qb nor has he ever been. Heres one stat that youre neglecting. The jets only won 2 games last season at which they trailed at ANY point regarless of lead or deficit.

19. HomeoftheJets

There is no causation from total number of starts to int rate. Anyway, I'm not suggesting Fitz is an exceptional QB. I'm saying he's entirely mediocre in this era, but his current numbers would have been incredible 30 years ago.

zace likes this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Touche very true.