Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It's the same old story. My biggest "sports wish" honestly isn't even a Jets SB win, but instead, is that we draft a true stud at QB sometime in my lifetime.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No the article is about how stats are inflated. It doesnt prove your point at all. I dont think youd find any source that thinks qb play is better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I hear you. You're prolly right about where to take him.

But there's going to be speculation about us and QB's. There's talk of Lynch and Cook as possibilities also.

Lynch is prolly a long term developmental guy also, and that could happen in the 1st round.

There's a decent chance we could draft a QB. Jones definitely has some attributes. How guys mature and adjust is an unknown, but it's often the factor that determines guys success in the end. High picks and lower picks.
    Assessing reasons why things didn't work is what teams have to consider in weighing risks of picks too.

Maybe lower down would be more the value pick, like it turned out with Petty. So Jones would be better value after the point Petty was taken. For us anyway.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Of course the stats are higher. How else would you evaluate QBs? Good looks? I mean, the article you posted literally says things like:

"As some fret about the state of the quarterback position in the NFL, passing continues to become a bigger part of the game with each season."
    "What seemed good 30 years ago doesn't remotely apply anymore. What was great in the past might only be acceptable today."
    "What seemed excellent even 20 years ago is mere competence today."

Come on man.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Exactly teams are passing more leading to inflated stats. Your making my point for me with that citation. The numbers are misleading. Youd think Fitz was a great qb based on his stats, and reality is he wasnt even close amd you wont find anyone here who thinks he was. He was mediocre at best.

6. HomeoftheJets

How can passing more lead to inflated completion percentage and TD/INT ratios, among other rate stats? If anything passing more would result in worse rate stats. You can argue that today's QBs are benefiting from rule changes and better coaching compared to past QBs but that's about it. The performance is significantly better across the board, which is why we compare QBs from different eras with how they ranked compared to their peers, not how their stats compare to QBs from different eras.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Simple because there are more chances, shorter passing play, more quick screens. These things add up. Seriously we cango around the nfl and name every starting qb if you'd like and you tell me if theyre good or bad....or undetermined. Want to?

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'm with the "pick a QB every year till we have our guy" thinking but I just think Jones would be an total waste of a pick. I really don't see him amounting to much of anything. Sure he does have some good attributes but there are way too many negatives with him.

I know a lot of people are down on Cook but I think he is going to be a good QB in the league, I just think #20 is too early to take him and I doubt he lasts to #51.

Honestly though, even with watching a decent amount of college ball, I'm just throwing darts with these guys. Jones could turn out to be a Roethlisberger,

9. HomeoftheJets

Sure, if you want. But I'll be judging them based on how they compare to the other 2016 QBs, not trying to compare across eras. I would take the production of even Geno over nearly anyone from a previous era. Of course, have an average QB from that era grow up in today's world, and he would put up probably much better numbers than he did then. But if you were to zap prime Joe Namath to 2016 with a time machine, he would probably suck compared to today's QBs without having the benefit of modern development.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Me too.

I'm just throwing it out there with Jones.. You probably know more about him than I do.

I'm just hoping Mac can find something, get lucky, anything.....Mine something somehow, lol

The Waterboy likes this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I def would take obrien over smith anyday of the week. Im not even sure how you could even say that.

That being said by saying qb play is better now, you are comparing them thru eras. That statement alone implies that. Reality is qb is down. Outside of Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees is cant miss? You have some ok qbs after that... But most are inconsistent or just ok even with rules that benefit offense.

To be fair tho ive stated that play in the nfl period has declined and not just qb. I think practice and free agency and contracts have a lot to do with that tho.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. slimjasi. You and I are on the same "sport wish". Right now, we are playing in the sand lot while the big boys are having fun in the playoffs.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excuse it away if you want. I prefer to fix the problem.

14. HomeoftheJets

I don't think anyone truly involved in football, except maybe some disgruntled former players, would say that quality of play has declined. As for O'Brien, he posted a career passer rating of 80.4. That's better than Geno, but it's barely above replacement level nowadays. Of course, if O'Brien grew up in today's era, he would probably be a fine modern QB. But zap 1980s O'Brien into today's game, and he would struggle.

Good modern QBs you didn't name include Dalton, Luck, Rivers, Eli, Romo, Newton (he just won MVP), Wilson, and Palmer among others. All these QBs are putting up numbers that would make them legends in O'Brien's era.

15. HomeoftheJets

There is no problem. It doesn't exist. You'd be wasting your time when there are areas the Jets really need help in.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Right! The Jets have no problems getting off the field on 3rd and long or with their pass rush. Gotcha! Whatever, dude.

I guess you should be the Jets GM instead of Mac, because he listed our pass rush as our biggest need.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Eli is inconsistent, so is romo, Dalton hasnt shown anything and the lsit goes on and on.

They're in that jay cutler category. Look nice on paper no real substance to win a championship. Luck looked terrible last season when healthy and when playing. Rivers throws way too many pics, Palmer always has and always will suck. Wilson, ill give you hes a stud. Newton before last season was not playing at the level he played at this season.

The quality of play has declined. Theres no denying it. The nfl has a talent issue, while not to the detriment of the NBA. Its there and you cant ignore it. Seriously, tyrod taylor??? Hes starting, and hes terrible. Our hopes before this past season were on Kerley to become a top WR. That was a pipe dream.

#277 zace, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Oh and Brian Westbrook and Brian dawkins are hardly disgruntled players. I had this discussion with them

19. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Seems like a stellar guy.

Look how he acknowledges his teammates too.

On these highlights I see a lot of things Fitzpatrick does.

Not sure how much longer I give Fitz. It's been 3 weeks now. Maybe one more week? McCown looks more than capable if he can stay healthy. People said the same thing about Fitz before he came here.

20. HomeoftheJets

Straw man alert. I never said the Jets have no problem with the pass rush. They do. They just don't have a problem getting off the field on 3rd downs. If you want to claim that the Jets somehow have a problem only on 3rd and longs that the overall 3rd down stat isn't catching, you have to provide evidence backing up your claim. And since there isn't a stat available covering only 3rd and longs, you have nothing.