Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Jeez when you put it that way... Nameth never had a season like that either. Sounds like Williamsburg Fitz is the stud we've always wanted. It's hard to believe this board called him a mediocre backup last season. It's like they were talking about him like he was some kind of McCown.

I put up 4 stats to favor McCown and you put up 4 stats (although McCown td/int ratio last season was waay better than Fitz) to favor Fitz. They are both role players that will play to the quality of the team surrounding them. When you say things like "he's never had a season anything like fitz" it's just not true and you're really only seeing what you want to see. To me "a season like fitz" is one where the qb puts up respectable numbers.

I'm thinking Williamsburg Fitz bc of the whole hipster beard thing, what do you think?

2. KingRoach

I'm with you dude.

Damn those kids and their "facts" and "science"! No one can tell me what I know and don't know!! Just because something isn't true doesn't me it isn't true!!

3. KingRoach

The response was to the quote the MCown has never had anything like the season that Fitz had last year. They've taken two different career paths so obviously nothing is identical. My point is they're not that different. They are role players that play to the quality of their surroundings....

It's like saying that French vanilla ice cream is no where near as good as vanilla bean ice cream. They're both fing vanilla. Eat it by itself and its average. Throw in some coffee or chocolate syrup or some Oreos and you can get something really good.... I really want ice cream now.

All Gas No Shake and jerseyjay14 like this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

A little out of context and I am sorry for that.

KingRoach and Homeofthejets.

You two have been fun to read since coming to the board. As a user who loves reading in depth football discussions, I truly appreciate both of your contributions.

KingRoach likes this.
  5. GTA_G20

GTA_G20 Member

I warn you all of what you ask for an expect from Fitz. Living in Toronto we're force fed bills games and I know what Fitz is. He will show up get paid and regress. Please follow his career pattern. He's never been exceptional. Except last year "his contract year". There were a lot of touchdowns. But a lot of talent around him

I hate Geno. He makes me sick like Sanchez but. He's already been paid for. I'd rather watch Geno than sign Fitz to anything over 2yrs and $9/per.

I'm still not sure why we got Petty if he's developmental? Can he play? Let him compete against Geno and xxQB on the cheap(>$5mill)

We should have signed RG3 after seeing what he wanted. Damn shame.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

and none of that is really all that impressive. Fitz was completely average last season... outside of touchdowns, he was in the lower half of the league in basically everything.

3900 yards might have bee impressive back in the 90's. but today its league average. as fitz ranked 15th in the NFL in passing yards.

that 2:1 touchdown to interception ratio... again maybe a few decades ago that would be impressive. but ranked 18th in the NFL in that category, as well as throwing the 5th most interceptions in the league

why stop there. fitz averaged 6.9 yards per attempt. that was 27th among qualifying quarterbacks

at 59.6%, fitz ranked 29th in the NFL in completion percentage.

at 88.0 fitz ranked 24th in the NFL in quarterback rating.

so yea, sorry but really nothing fitz did was all that remarkable. sure, its an enormous upgrade from geno, but thats what happens when you go from the worst qb in football to mediocrity. as far as mccown, in a half season with forte and marshall he put up some elite numbers. can he do that for an entire season? prbably not, but i can certainly see him matching the mediocrity we got from fitz last year, given the weapons that will be around him.

these threads arent insinuating any of these alternaties we have at qb are good, its about how this board has overrated fitz performance last season

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that Fitz did anything remarkable or even particularly well, only that his relatively successful season FOR THIS FRANCHISE last year (becoming a team leader in the process) gives him the benefit of the doubt over a guy like Josh McCown -- who has yet to amass a complete, successful 16 game campaign as the tenured starting qb.

8. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

Anytime anyone says they would prefer Geno because he is paid for needs to look at what the browns did to their number 1 pick qb. It was time to cut ties to living turn over last yr after he broke his jaw talking crap to a 270 lb

9. slimjasi

You are completely lost and obviously didn't carefully read or contemplate my very short, yet entirely accurate, post. Let's help you out a little bit:

The 4 stats you posted in favor of McCown were 4 statistical metrics complied over many portions of seasons. For example, just looking at TD/INT ratios, McCown played 8 games in 2013 (with a 12:4 TD/INT ratio), 11 games in 2014 (with a 11:14 TD/INT ratio), and 8 games in 2015 (with a 13:1 TD/INT ratio). Before those three seasons, he played sporadically in league over the course of the previous 10 NFL seasons (getting his first playing time back in 2002), amassing a total TD/INT ratio of 37:44.

Meanwhile, I was explicitly referring to Fitz's performance with the Jets last SEASON. Note, in my original post, I capitalized the word SEASON. Josh McCown has never played a full 16 game SEASON, never had 10 wins, and certainly has NOT had one anywhere near as successful as Fitz's was last year.

So, with that out of the way, let me write it again, since it is entirely accurate and irrefutable:

Last year, Fitz had 31 TD passes (setting a franchise record in the process), 3,900 passing yards, amassed a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, started all 16 games (winning 10 of them), and became a team leader. Josh McCown has never had a SEASON anything like what Fitz had last year.Clear enough for you?

10. slimjasi

The reasons the Browns got rid of Johnny M had very little to do with what he did or didn't do on the field.

The 1985er likes this.
  11. slimjasi

I agree that this board absolutely overrated Fitz at times last year, but that doesn't change the fact that McCown has never had a complete, winning season anywhere near as good as Fitz had last year. He just hasn't. He's never even played 16 games nor has he ever been the starting quarterback for a winning team and he's been in the league since 2002. I have no issue with people being very skeptical of Fitz. I have openly been so, myself. I don't want the Jets to give him a big contract. All I'm saying is, based off last season alone, he absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt over McCown. Even if you think what Fitz did last season was "meh," the point remains that Josh McCown hasn't had a single season that approached "meh."

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I honestly think this is an indictment of how bad qb play is in the NFL overall. I mean really, outside of a handful of qbs, how many are absolute studs? You know how much I like Matt Ryan but is he a sure thing? No he still makes stupid mistakes. Not saying i wouldnt want him but hes your next tier and the reality is hes as flawed as many other Qbs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If anything, QBs have gotten better. Because of that, it's harder to win with a weak QB so it seems like there aren't enough good QBs.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

They def have not. Physically yes, even with the rules to their advantage overall QB play is down in the NFL. Look how many teams reqch for qbs because the play is so bad. Years ago players like Gabbert, Ponder, Manuel wouldnt have sniffed a first or second round.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

Do you have any evidence overall QB play is down? It won't be easy to find any considering the average QB today puts up better numbers than ever before. Teams reach for prospects for the very reason that QB play is so good on average that they feel the need to take a chance on someone.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It's a sad situation indeed when the best we can hope for in 2016 is the triumphant return of Fitz at a reasonable price or another heated comparison to the likes of McCown to hold the fort for yet another year, leaving us once again with a very, very faint gleam of hope that we can even reach the playoffs. Non withstanding Rex's BS, neither will keep the opposition sleepless, but it 's guaranteed to leave our fan base in another year of ho-hum stupor .
    When oh when can we Jet fans expect to see a QB that can be the future of the organization, and transform this team from a lower tier casualty to a division and playoff leader.
    If Petty isn't it, we better we drafting QBs every year till the real deal shows on our front steps.
    The rest of the scenarios are nothing more than an exercise in mediocracy.

slimjasi and westiedog1 like this.
  17. slimjasi

Very true.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ask and you shall receive good sir

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ow-stats-great-quarterbacks-years-achieve-nfl

19. HomeoftheJets

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I would hope they don't waste a pick on him. He was gifted the starting role due to injuries and then couldn't keep it even after they won the National Championship. I think the 4th is still too high for him, if people think Petty is a project it will be 3 years before they could think about putting Jones out there and I still think he would get chewed up and spit out.