Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I didn't mean he couldn't play! I'm an Oregon fan. Trust me.... I know how good he is! Just still crying from two years ago......

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Oops! sorry!

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

LOL, way to selectively highlight a few stats that McCown has happened to perform well in. QBR? Get the fuck out of here.

Fitz threw for 31 TDs and 15 ints last season, setting our (admittedly meager) franchise record for td passes in the process. Stop pretending that McCown has ever had a season even remotely close to that. If you have read my posts, you know that I am not a Fitz guy and do NOT think we should entertain the idea of giving him a big contract. But, he's more established than Josh McCown. You gotta be fair.

4. slimjasi

You can, though. Look, I'm on record as stating that I believe Fitz is very unlikely to replicate last year's success. But, he did have a very successful season here. He did set our franchise record for touchdown passes. He did it, here. McCown has never had a season anywhere near as productive as Fitz had last year (and obviously, he's done nothing of the sort for THIS franchise). I'm not a particularly big believer in Fitz and I do NOT think we should give him a big contract, but you guys who are giving him no credit and no benefit of the doubt over a guy like Josh McCown simply aren't being fair.

5. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick had a good year but I think you can make the case that McCown's year with weapons in Chicago was better than Fitzpatrick last year. Fiscally, McCowns makes more sense, and I still think Petty has a shot too

6. slimjasi

For me, if Fitz isn't coming back because he insists on being paid like a franchise quarterback, then the best thing to do is let Geno and Petty battle it out, picking up some emergency third string veteran along the way.

Edit: But the thing is, if we don't give Fitz the contract he wants (I really hope we don't), who else is? As many pundits have pointed out already, the market has spoken on Fitzpatrick. No one is giving him a big contract. I still see him drastically lowering what he is asking for.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We were 3rd in the NFL last year in opponent's third down percentage. Please stop posting misinformation. ;)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

NYJetsO12 and KingRoach like this.
  8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You said McCown has never had a season like Fitz. I pointed out 4 categories that McCown has had more success. If your definition of a good season is tds say that "McCown has never thrown as many touchdowns as Fitzpatrick".

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The more I read about the current QB situation the more I'm starting to believe that a lot of people and even the media pundits have just about convinced themselves that Fitz is the answer and the only answer for the Jets for the foreseeable future. After all the record and performance of last year speaks for itself. Kind of hard to argue with that, so pay the man and move on they seem to imply.

As much as I like and welcomed Fitz to the team as a breath of fresh air, overpaying for Fitz and essentially committing over 10m a year for the next 3 years would be suicidal for a team with as many needs and challenges going forward. Not to mention the fact that Fitz current request of upwards of 16M a year is simply delusional. You can not ever pay that kind of money to any player, QB included that is not your long term answer. Fitz is holding the position till the real starter is ready.

We must come to grips with the harsh reality that unless Firtz comes to his senses we would be far better taking that money and investing it in areas of need for the long term, strenghten the team and role the dice with Geno and or Petty and or another hold the fort guy that is budget friendly.

Fitz nor Mo can hinder this team from the harsh reality that:
    A) We must get younger and faster
    B) In desperate need of a long term QB solution once and for all..and Fitz ain't it
    C) We must build the future around a new stud at LT, a solid RG and disruptive OLB
    D) we will have to soon protect our own young studs with long term contracts
    E) start grooming a new center

To top it off I hardly doubt that Fitz can duplicate his performance of last year, and highly suspect the FO is desperately hoping that Petty and or another QB can take the reigns sooner than later. So over committing to Fitz and if all goes well having him backing up Petty next year at 12M or more is absolutely insane.
    We started last season with Geno as the starter during training camp. That was the plan, he never got to start nor play for the team but we have since then totally convinced ourselves that Fitz is 12M dollars better than what we have behind him particularly during a cap strapped year.

I don't think that is going to fly. Either Fitz comes at a reasonable price or he does not come at all.

cgrec, NCJetsfan, legler82 and 2 others like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

Pointing out specific categories where McCown exceeded Fitz is cherry picking. If you want to use stats to make your point, you have to use general stats. Since he took over the job in Buffalo, Fitz has consistently played above replacement level (as per passer rating, total QBR, and Football Outsiders DYAR) while starting the majority of the time. This past season was his best, but his preceding seasons weren't bad. Whereas McCown's starts have been sporadic, and he has bounced between respectable and horrible. While Fitz isn't worth the money he wants, he is worth more than McCown.

11. slimjasi

Last year, Fitz had 31 TD passes (setting a franchise record in the process), 3,900 passing yards, amassed a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, started all 16 games (winning 10 of them), and became a team leader. Josh McCown has never had a SEASON anything like what Fitz had last year. Clear enough for you?

12. slimjasi

Totally agree.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Once the Kaepernick situation straightens out he could end up in either San Francisco or Denver. Those are possibilities.

15. slimjasi

Probably not as a guaranteed opening day starter in either case. If he comes back here, I'd bet anything that he's the opening day starter. Plus, he's by far had the most success in his career with Gailey. Plus, Denver was supposedly turned off by how much money he was asking for. I think we make the most sense for him by a country mile.

16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

We agree in principle. I think if last year Jets got McCown, there was a fair chance he would put same stats as Fitz. There is no way of proving that and to be honest, I don't care and don't think it's important enough to continue splitting hair.

KingRoach likes this.
  17. slimjasi

Yeah, but when you are the third best at something statistically, it's kind of hard to make it out to be a priority.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Of course we make the most sense. I'm just pointing out that we are not his only option, like some people tend to believe. Based on last year he earned the starting job for 2016. Also Denver similarly to us are interested just not for his asking price. It doesn't mean they wouldn't sign him if they can get him at a reasonable deal similar to us.

19. slimjasi

Right. Not his only option, but easily his best.

20. HomeoftheJets

Every defense gives up first downs on third and longs. Even a top three third down defense like ours.

westiedog1 likes this.