Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm just pointing out that you can't use it to justify that Fitz is so much better than McCown. I'd prefer Fitz for continuity, but if he is not in the cards, McCown is not a bad option.

The 1985er likes this.
  2. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I just don't understand why we'd even want McCown. He's mediocre, at best. Why not just draft a QB in any round and let him compete with what we have? Better chance for lightning in a bottle that way compared to getting someone who won't have a shot at bringing us to the playoffs.

westiedog1 and James Hasty like this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

In what way?
    60% completion percentage? Yup he's done it twice (and higher than fitz)
    Int % under 3? Yup he's done it twice... Actually under 2% one year and under 1% another.
    QBR at 90? Yeah Fitz was almost at 90. McCown has topped 90 and 100
    Yards per game? Fitz was about 244 last year. McCown was above 260

I think a more accurate statement would be "McCown has never had a team like Fitz did last year."

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I would prefer Fitzpatrick to McCown, of course.

But thinking more about it, Fitzpatrick has had more success in his career than McCown, but not significantly. McCown's best season came with a QB-friendly system and Brandon Marshall at WR, both of which he'd have here. I believe McCown could come in and play at a comprable level to Fitzpatrick with a strong tandem of receivers and a strong backfield full of receiving threats. If it's Fitz at 15M or McCown at 5 or 6M, tops, I might take McCown. One caveat is I wouldn't give up even a 7th for McCown; he needs to be cut to be considered, which I believe he will be.

Maybe if Fitz didn't perform like a backup in a play-in game week 17 they'd be more willing to pay him more like a starter and less like a high end backup... I hope they can meet at about 10M or so and Fitz and his agent can realize he likely won't have near the success he had with this team elsewhere. But if he's fixed at 16M, it might be time to move on.

In either case, sign McCown, Fitz or neither, I hope they take Paxton Lynch IF they really like him and have doubts about Petty. They need to plan for beyond this season and having a guy like Lynch sit for a year could be ideal

5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Fitz is also mediocre at best (i.e last season).

When G.Smith sits top of your available QB roster - either of the two is a quantum shift forward in capability.

TheJetLife and jerseyjay14 like this.
  6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

well, thats kind of the point isnt it? why are we signing older players when we are in the middle of a rebuild? you can say having your best players all be older guys makes you a win now team, i see that and say thats a team that needs to get younger quick. and get younger talented guys at the impact positions(QB,LT,CB,edge rusher).

what makes you a win now team, in my opinion, isnt just age. its talent. and we dont have the talent to be a win now team. and we REALLY dont have the talent at key positions to be a win now team. we are average or worse at LT, QB, edge rusher. we didnt make the playoffs last season, despite career years from our skill guys and a pretty favorable schedule. i dont project us to do better next year, maybe we get the wild card depending how other teams do, but to me, investing in an older team fighting to be a wildcard team is short sighted.

i dont mind one or two low cost moves to get good veteran players here, especially since i think part of player development is having vets around and being good enough for young guys to fit into roles and not be thrust into positions they arent ready for. but making those moves ot win now while ignoring youth is not a plan for sustained long term success

i can respect jets fans who want to go for it, its been a long playoff drought. but me, i want to continue this rebuild the right way, not overpay marginal players like fitz, and create a model of sustained success, even if it means 6-7 wins this year.

NCJetsfan and hastygreen like this.
  7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i keep seeing all these knocks about the fitz alternatives:

"he is an average qb"
    "he is a glorified backup"
    "he hasnt been able to hold down a job with any team"
    "he sucked with [insert team]"

you could have said every single one of those things about fitzpatrick last season. the only thing to me that seperates fitz from any of those guys is a knowledge of gaileys offense coming in. and too me, thats not some huge advantage.

with our weapons, and gailey, i think most of the names on the list could match the average numbers fitz put up last season, or match what fitz would give us this season.

Hoyer, McCown, Glennon. i dont see how any of those guys are any worse then fitz.

KingRoach and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I think this is the thinking inside Jets FO, and a big reason why Mac is not in a hurry to overpay Fitz.

9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I would too. Guess what, if they bring in Fitz, they will either be forced to either lengthen some contracts and weaken their cap position in future years OR cut guys like Brick.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

They already need to do it. I don't think there is enough space to sign draftees, so Fitz is secondary to this decision.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

As good as Fitz he was last season, it is still just one complete season of many. Furthermore when it came down to crunch time he folded like a cheap suit. You absolutely cannot tie yourself down to Fitz at 15-18 mil per with so many other holes. It can be argued that last year was peak Fitz and that wasn't worth 15-18 mil either.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bingo! That's the crux of the matter imo. The Jets have talent, but not at the key positions. Yes, having Marshall, Decker and Forte is great, but it won't matter much if the QB is constantly running for his life and doesn't have time to get the ball to Marshall or Decker, and if there are no holes for Forte. As we've seen for how many years now, it doesn't matter how good your secondary and DL are, if you can't generate a consistent pass rush. All too often the Jets' D can't get off the field on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long, and that's killer. It keeps the Jets' offense off the field and enables the other team to score more points.

I understand your thoughts regarding older players. I just think we're going to see more and more of that kind of thing, as very few teams, if any, are going to do an old fashioned rebuild and just go with younger players. There's too much money involved and everyone is too impatient. Besides, with all the holes and lack of depth the Jets have, there's no way they can get enough draft picks to rebuild the team in another draft or two. They're gonna have to bring in as many FAs as they can each season to address needs, increase competition, upgrade both starting and depth positions and fill out the roster. I think Revis was a special situation. I don't think we'll see too many more of those types of high $ FAs signed by Mac, unless a quality QB or pass rusher becomes available. I think his priority will be to sign cheaper, younger vets who are on the rise if he can. If not, he'll look for older vets who still have some gas in their tanks and who are available at reasonable prices. Unless the team winds up with a desperate need due to injury, sudden retirement or something at a critical position, or someone too good to pass up becomes available who is a perfect fit in our system, I'll be very surprised if Mac signs any more big ticket FAs.

As long as the older vets are signing 1-2 year contracts at reasonable prices that won't hamstring future salary caps, I have no problems with him bringing in some older players.

13. NCJetsfan

My guess is because they don't want to have to go with Geno if they can help it, and they don't think Petty is ready. They want a vet who can start or at least push Geno to get better and help mentor Petty. McCown has talent. He has a better or at least stronger arm than Fitz. He's played with Forte and Marshall before, and that would help.

To answer your question why not just draft a QB, because aside from Wentz and maybe Goff, I think it would be a wasted draft pick. Neither of those two will be available at pick #20 and the Jets cannot afford to trade up, unless some team will take Mo and our #20 pick in exchange for their top 5-10 pick and their 2nd round pick, and I doubt that would happen.

Cardale Jones has some talent and a live arm, but there's no way he'd be able to beat out Geno or Petty. He's very raw. Cook might be ok, and could possibly beat out Geno, but wouldn't really know the system, would be adjusting to the NFL and he has some fundamentals issues imo that need to be straightened out. In addition, there's the personality aspect. He wasn't named captain at MSU and I'm not sure the veterans here would listen to and respond to him. I also think they could get a better player than Cook in the 2nd or 3rd round. If they think Petty will be ready by the middle of this season, or even if not until next season, why not bring in a cheap vet, let him start, further strengthen the team by using the draft picks on other position players, then hand it over to Petty when he's ready? Chances are, regardless of who is at QB this season, the Jets aren't going to make the playoffs, and even if they do, it will be one and done.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Jones would beat out Smith easily.

And FWIW, so far most have him as a 4th round or later pick.
    Given our unique situation. Take him in the third.

*edit
    Walter Football (yeah,I know) has the Jets taking him in the second.

Cook sucks...And as you said, not a capt. @ MSU speaks volumes.

We already have one disliked QB on the roster.

#214 Hobbes3259, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  15. NCJetsfan

Do you really think Jones could beat out Geno? I've seen him ranked as a 4th round prospect, and that would be great, but I know that he was benched this season after leading them last season, and everything I've read says that he's raw and will need time focusing on fundamentals, reads, etc. Geno knows the system and has some ability. I haven't seen Jones play enough to say one way or the other, but it's hard for me to have confidence that a raw rookie with only one season starting experience, who's adjusting to the speed of the NFL and learning the offense, could beat out even Geno. Jones has more talent than Sanchez, but it sounds to me like Jones needs to sit for a season or two.

Yeah, I basically agree about Cook, but am trying to keep an open mind because 101GangGreen101 likes him so much and I respect his opinion.

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Cardale Jones??? I think I'm going to be sick.

17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Personally, I just want someone young. Getting some 33+ year old QB is too much of a short term solution.

18. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Car Dale Jones rules

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Rapelisbergers size, and can run with the ball.

Safeties will be sick.

And some light in the ass Lb's as well.
    this is about correct.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Cardale Jones is man now. Watch him in the interviews too. He's a grown man. He's a beast. Can't reach for him tho. Very bottom third [trade?], fourth, I'm not complaining.