Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Very true. I guess it doesn't really matter what RGIII makes.
    That's a good point too. As usual, we will wait and see.

2. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

The only leverage Fitz has vs. RG3 is he played all of last year and performed reasonably well, where RG3 sat on the bench.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Imo the biggest way this signing helps a the jets is bc now Cleveland definitely isn't taking a qb at no2.

Some people think sf will but I'm not more than 50/50 on it. We'll know more after we find out what they do with Kaep. If they pay him then they won't take a qb with as many other gaping holes as they have.

There are a couple teams that could but probably not take one: Cowboys Bears Eagles.

That really just leaves the Rams imo and while I'm pretty sure they'd take a qb I was also sure they'd fire Jeff Fisher after 2016 instead they gave him an extension.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

How does this affect us at 20? You think one of the top 2 QBs will be sitting there now that the Browns grabbed Bob Griffin?

5. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

I think with RGIII signing what amounts to a 1-year $6.75m "prove it" deal almost assures that Cleveland is drafting a QB. What do they really have beyond this season if he doesn't work out? McCown should be gone one way or the other, as RGIII fills the role of vet/placeholder that McCown filled last year. They are very fortunate to be in this position just 2 seasons after messing up with Johnny Goofball.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think there's a fair chance. Just like when bridgewater, Carr and Manzel were all available at 20 when at first they were projected all to go in the top 10. And tbh I'd be ok with Lynch.

7. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

16 mil? - I think Fitz took one too many hits to the head last season.

If I were Mac, I would not go a penny above 7 mil, and I would also give him a deadline where afterward the offer will be steadily declining, so I could go about the business of building the roster knowing what the payroll and cap room is.

slimjasi and Jets69 like this.
  9. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

16 million total over 2 years...sounds right.

10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

It seems like a major sticking point is incentives and I don't honestly see anything wrong with that. Fitz set team records with us last year.... He shouldn't be ready to bet on himself again? Good luck finding a better system.

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's the thing, I still think we have all of the leverage. No one is giving him the contract he originally wanted. No one. We have a ready-made system that he is played in before and feels comfortable in, equipped with premier WRs, AND we would be guaranteeing him a starting job. What other team can offer him all of that?

zace likes this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

So what's the hold up? His salary or bonus money? He can get a decent signing bonus and salary around 9 mill and it should be fine. Despite how solid Fitz was last year, he's still an older QB that lacks the arm strength and many feel his year was a product of the system and its parts. No one is willing to take a chance at that price and Macc has read that well...

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

None at all and he knows that. I think he wants starter money because that kinda salary makes a team compelled to play him. Think about it, if he comes in at the salary they want to pay him, theres no guarantee he starts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Best post in weeks :)

7 games and Ost gets 30 mil guaranteed? Last year it was that pompous ass Tannyhill taking Miami to the cleaners

GMs better reign in the horses or they'll be enriching agents while bankrupting teams

#1834 NYJetsO12, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  15. slimjasi

I can't agree here. If he comes back, he will absolutely be the opening day starter. Absolutely. Now, what I do agree with is that, if he struggles, he could be benched during the season. But, coming off of last year, he is going to start (whether that is right or wrong), no matter what we are paying him.

16. NYJetsO12

NoodleArm, slimjasi and zace like this.
  17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Lol i swear im not being argumentative for the sake of. I just honestly dont think they're sold on him. I just think Bowels doesnt like position controversy. I also point to the case of Kerley. He was better than the 4th and 3rd recievers we were putting out there at points during the season, yet they never gave him more time outside of injuries. Lets be honest, if Geno doesnt get hurt, Fitz never starts.

18. slimjasi

I would agree with you if Fitz didn't so obviously become a locker-room leader last season. And, you're right, if Geno doesn't get punched in the face, who knows when Fitz gets on the field last season. But, Geno got Chris Browned over 600 bucks and Fitz turned into a steady-performing, popular, locker-room leader for a veteran-laden team, winning 10 of his 16 starts. I just don't see the Jets not anointing the guy as the opening day starter. Now, whether or not he finishes the season is a completely different story. He's been injury prone throughout his career and has never shown the capacity to be the long term solution for a successful NFL team.

RevisIsland18 likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

And if GSdid start, we would be 6-10 unfortunately:(

Jets69 likes this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

With a better draft pick. Hey were not winning the super bowl next season anyway.