Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

First, not that I never used word "guarantee", this was intentional. There are no guarantees in sport, only probabilities.

Now, re bolded, push for what? For SB, for conf finals, for PO? Crippling team with heavy contracts just to make PO doesn't worth it. For playing in SB - sure does. For conf final - maybe. If FO believes overpaying 3-4 players will result in serious chance of going deep, they should do it and unlike previous regimes I still believe this FO so if Mac decides it's time to push, I'll bite.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

And how did it do with good drafting and finding elite QB? It's funny how in the same post you excuse Tanny's contract by his shitty drafting.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Actually there is one guarantee in sports,that the Pats will win the division until Brady retires

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

True, but it's not like Tanny is the shining genius of drafting and contract negotiation down in Florida.

5. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

The Jets are in a strange place, this isn't a win now or a rebuild team. The absolutely horrible personnel management during the Rex/Izzy/Mr.T era has the team in limbo. Bad drafting and player signing left the team with an incomplete and somewhat lopsided roster for Mac to work with. Lots of great guys on the d-line, old, slow and rumbling LB's, spotty o line, no secondary, 1 1/2 WR, a pair of RB ready for FA, and a smattering of junk masquerading as bench depth.

There was absolutely no way all of that was going to be fixed within 3-4 seasons before AND after the overpayment to Revis. This team should be considered one that is rebuilding. Unfortunately, there were so many holes and such a lack of quality talent that players had to be brought in across the age spectrum from wherever they could get it cheapest. While it seemingly all came together last season we did do it vs some lackluster teams. We beat who we should have and lost "more or less" to who we should have.

The alternative to sourcing players where they could get them would be 2-3 outstanding drafts where Mac hit on at least 1 high quality starter, 1 better than avg starter plus 1 or 2 guys that can provide some help off the bench. Then a complimentary working of Free Agency to fill in any other holes. In that regard they did a nice job last season picking up Carpenter, Gilchrist, Thompkins, etc (I only exclude Buster because I feel that contract was kinda ugly for a slot corner). Of course this would have meant a whole lot of losing and a inability to bring in those types of guys. I know this might not be a popular opinion but while Revis was given a terrible contract it was necessary to show other FA the front office was serious about trying to get things back on track here.

The real problem with what's going on is that Nick, Brick, Harris, Pace and now (Revis, Marshall) are on the clock. That's a huge piece of of the teams core that is going to need simultaneous replacing in the next 2-3 seasons. Coupled with our best young guys needing a payday while they are right up against the cap. With the departure of Harrison, maybe Wilk and Fitz, the list of things that need to be replaced is getting larger. The most likely outcome is the Jets spinning their wheels at 6-9 for the next couple of seasons. Here's hoping for the best tho.

#185 hastygreen, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Walt White and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

So for you there are only 2 win now teams per year?

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) my dude. I never excused Tanny's poor drafting. I just disagree that he set us back 5-10 years, a couple of years maybe.

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

1) As skeptical as I am of Fitz going forward, I don't think it's fair to say that Fitz isn't better than McCown. McCown hasn't proven he is capable of having the season Fitz had last year.

2) The problem is that we don't have the right guy on the roster right now. It has nothing to do with having 2 guys that will be competing for the job, in and of itself.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think youre totally missing the saying the way you keep quoting it. But im not going to explain it as i think youre misquoting it to support your position and i know you understand it.

That being said Fitz isnt better......theyre pretty much the same. Neither is a good option. Thats the whole point.why waste time with either when neither gives you something you dont have. I dont think Bowels is a complete coach yet and thats probably the only reason he road with Fitz. He clearly isnt about position controversy. Clearly nobody in this organization thinks Fitz is more than a backup at best. Everything they said and did last season and this offseason supports this. Like basically naming Geno starter before camp even begun, not wanting to pay him, and other things.

Quite frankly i dont want either of them here. Id rather take my lumps with Geno. If he succeeds great, if he fails, well be in a better position to draft a qb.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. slimjasi

Sorry, but Fitz and McCown can not be considered equivalent by any reasonable, objective standard. I'm not really a Fitz guy, but McCown just has never had the season that Fitz had last year. We can both project that Fitz will be hard pressed to repeat his aberrant performance from last season (something I completely agree with), and yet, equating Fitz to McCown still remains patently unfair and unwarranted.

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

When fitz played with BM he had a pretty decent year, got a new contract out of it in Tampa Bay, with a defense that was far worse than the one we had. But hey agree to disagree. Youre certainly entitled to feel the way you feel.

12. slimjasi

Again, I'm not saying Fitz is going to repeat his performance from last year. In fact, I am explicitly suggesting that he won't come close, and further, that it would be potentially disastrous to give him a big contract. But, none of that changes the fact that he has accomplished more in his career than McCown.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Because hes been on better teams, plain and simple.

14. slimjasi

No doubt. But, hes's also been objectively better. He gets at least some credit for that.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ill give you that. Still i dont want McCown anywhere near this team.

16. slimjasi

Tbh, neither do I.

zace likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

EXPECTATIONS

Win now team has reasonable EXPECTATION of playing for SB, and this is at before the season, not at the end of Jan.

18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

"My dude"??? That's a new one

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

1 - neither did Fitz a year ago. Weird shit happens.

20. slimjasi

Absolutely. But, we obviously can't count on stuff like that.