Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

We don't have any money to resign Fitz anyway... I'll play for free. Put me in coach.

The Dark Knight, westiedog1 and Burnz like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't agree that it was a failed season. The Jets missed the playoffs because of the alignment of teams. Ordinarily a 10-6 record, better than many teams that did make the playoffs, is good for a playoff appearance. That shouldn't be held against him. Agree we can't know how it would affect Fitz. We could only put ourselves in the same situation and evaluate how we might feel under the same circumstances. I'm sure the stock answer, if he were asked, would be: "once the deal is done, I put all that behind me and focus on winning football games." As you say, we can't know for sure, but we do know that happy employees are generally more productive employees.

3. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Not really a reason for the Jets to outbid themselves. Mac understands that, thank god.

almbleamal and matt robinson 17 like this.
  4. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I strongly doubt that Fitz would have any hard feelings if he had to sign a contract for less than he was asking for. I'd expect a Harvard graduate to understand that whatever deal he signs is market value.

5. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

*sigh* still waiting *tapps fingers*

-_-

Anyone know the story on McCarron? Would the Bungels be asking for everything including keys to Met Life stadium for him?

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Somebody on NFL Network said a #1, which is a joke

7. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

A #1?! Yeeeeeah that's not gonna happen

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

They're crazy, they'll never get that

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

This whole thing is ridiculous...we're talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick here, a veteran journeyman

The Texans who had no QB gave him to us for a bag of balls just last offseason

He had a decent season for us in an almost perfect situation for Fitz...weak schedule, great set of WRs, solid running game, great defense, good OC and offensive scheme

We are smart in not caving an inch here...No other team is giving him any love and that should tell you all you need to know

If he doesn't wanna play for 6-7 mil, we'll be just fine without him no doubt

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like that this thread's pace has slowed down. Nothing really to add now. Just waiting for Fitzpatrick to sign somewhere. We discussed it as far as we could. Haha.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Its asinine.

12. The Dark Knight

Now that RGIII has signed with the Browns, that is one less option for Jets and one less landing spot for Kaepernick. The QB wheel could start turning now with Kaep to Denver, Fitz back to Jets, Hoyer and McCown elsewhere as back-ups.

13. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Give the Keys to Petty if Fitz won't sign reasonably. We have a much harder schedule this year lets see what Petty has

14. The Dark Knight

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 58s59 seconds ago
    RGIII will make $7.5M in 2016, including a $3.5M signing bonus. Same in 2017 if he's on the team. Up to $3.5M more available in incentives

This hurts the Jets leverage a little. Look for Fitz to end up with a 3 year, $30 million deal now.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

well we finally have a QB slated to start, with a new contract earning less than 10M per..
    in a way, wouldn't that help the Jets with Fitz?

i actually like this type of deal for Fitz:
    7.5M per year, 2 years, with some incentives which could raise it another 3M per year...
    not sure if Fitz would bite due to the over inflated market, but would be good deal for the Jets.
    i tend to agree it will end up closer to 10M per year before incentives..

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

What leverage does Fitzpatrick have, are you referring to the leverage that NOBODY wants him?

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

No matter what the contract is, only the first 2 years will matter (maybe only the first). I was expecting 3 years 30 million, with only the first season fully guaranteed.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

Yeah, that makes sense.
    The leverage is he can say "This guy who did not play a single snap is making $7.5 million. I WON TEN GAMES! Pay me."

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And who do you suppose is going to pay him? The QB market may be down to two..us and Denver and denver would rather kepernick. When denver gets a qb, fitz can decide between writing software or playing for peanuts. Besides, thanks to our illustrious gm we wouldn't have the money to pay him even we wanted to.

#1799 Don, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'd feel much better giving Petty one more year on the sidelines. If they can't sign Fitz, it'll probably be some cheap young guy to compete with Geno (maybe Hoyer). The Broncos are still a threat to sign Fitz and if Kaep is traded, then the Niners become a threat. I think they are both going to stand pat for now, so hopefully Fitz comes back for cheap. I don't think Denver can afford to give him a big deal anyways.