Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Whatever happens, lets hope Petty progresses a ton this training camp/pre season. The future near for that kid if he wants it and can command the offense.

NYJetsO12 and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I want Fitzpatrick back because of continuity but I'd rather trade for Hoyer and have a 3 way competition than pay Ryan 18 million a year. He may take the money elsewhere because of pride and feeling insulted.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Look at Fitz's stats again. Since 2010, he has been one of the top 20 QBs in football. This season was not an outlier, it's just the first time he got to QB a decent roster. (While Houston wasn't bad, he got hurt and had to put up with a coach who likes shiny toys like Mallett and Osweiler).

That's another reason Geno probably won't get better because of the better roster. Fitz lost with bad rosters, but he put up decent numbers which Geno did not.

4. HomeoftheJets

I agree, but so far no team has topped our offer. As of now, the price is still seven figures annually.

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Not getting too positive about Fitz resigning at this point. My guess is that Macc is going to wait until the laaassssst possibly minute on what to decide because it likely means Brick or somebody else is released. If RG3 signs with the Browns and Denver looks at Fitz (since it doesn't look like Kaep is going to get traded) can they really offer him much more than we can? This is a weird offseason of gamesmanship.....

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

there are 32 teams. is top 20 good? top 20 is basically "guys who hung on to a starting job" he hasnt really played well. his career year last year was about league average. and that was a career year surrounded by weapons. i dont think he is really much better then a replacment level guy. i think all the guys mentioned as alternatives, other then maybe geno or petty, would be comporable

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

8. HomeoftheJets

Replacement level is more like 30 or below. Meanwhile, the market value for top 20 is pretty much what Fitz wants. If we can get him for 10 million, that's a bargain. Couple a top 20 QB on the cheap with the defense we have, and we have a better shot that going with a real replacement level QB.

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You will never convince a Fitz hater to buy in to a price above what they think a shit QB is worth.

Notwithstanding he was the best statistical QB we've had in decades.

Don't fight it.

It's not worth it.

_

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You didn't watch Hoyer much this year, did you? The eye test was a lot more telling than his stats will lead you to believe. As a whole I'd say Hoyer is a pretty below average football player.

Not to mention, Fitz's top number has been reported at $15 million and he's obviously not getting that when we're the only team left in the market for him. I'd bet his deal gets done at around the $10 million/year mark. He'd be a fool to go somewhere else as it'd be in a backup role.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Hoyer is great but he's in that similar mold to Fitzpatrick. A backup quarterback and fringe starter. If Fitzpatrick leaves we need a veteran to balance out the quarterback depth chart. Last year Hoyer was average, but that playoff game was horrendous.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Hoyer reminds me a lot of present day Matt Cassel. Takes no chances, and checks the ball down good for tons of three and outs. We saw what happened when Hoyer tried to throw into tighter windows vs. the Chiefs and he got destroyed. He might not ultimately turn the ball over a ton but he doesn't make plays.

I put a lot more faith in Fitzpatrick, because although he's prone to turning the ball over, I have a lot more in him being able to throw into tight windows over the middle of the field. The only thing Hoyer really has is more arm strength, which doesn't necessarily translate into deep ball accuracy.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

One thing that hasn't been touched on with all these numbers being thrown around if Fitz re-signs with the Jets: is it because he was left with no other option, or was it because he and the Jets reached a mutual agreement they both felt good about? If it's the former, I don't see how it helps the Jets if Fitz returns bitter and resentful about the deal. That's why we need to give them more time to work this out.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

It can work both ways in some sense. Are the Jets resentful when the player expects an out of his league salary on what was essentially a failed season missing the playoffs? I understand the play on the field is a lot more important than a bigger GM.

But throw playoff and passing touchdown bonus' his way. Some players are greedy and resentful but I just don't see Fitzpatrick as that type of guy. You're talking about a dude that paid for his wives engagement ring out of their joint bank account and gave it to her in a McDonald's parking lot. He just doesn't strike me as that player but I could be wrong.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I'm not resentful of Fitz at all. I wish he'd sign for less but I don't begrudge him for grilling as much as he can get. Who knows how many games he has left? And he's got his family's well being at interest. But if Denver gives him less to lead them to another SB.... then I'll be a little bitter.

#1775 pdxdrew, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

........ if that happens i would think our QB depth chart would be Geno/Bryce/Paxton Lynch ...

17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Fitz and Superbowl in the same quote? lol

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Fitz ain't leading anyone to the SB. That's why I hope Macc stays firm on his number. Fitz is what he always was to us - a bridge QB.

This season is another step in the process of acquiring more talent. Bring on the draft!

19. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

after 89 pages of reading the comments, i had to chime in here...yes his stats aside from TD passes were average, but what you can't collect stats on is his relationship/trust with the receivers, not doubting himself to get the job done, when to take the sack, when to run to get that critical first down (he did this quite a bit) which you don't see much from other qbs. These are just some of the things you can quantify which made his play better than the # indicate.

Ubiquitous likes this.
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It blows my mind that someone can criticize Fitz for not showing up for a big game while in the same breath calling for the Jets to get Brian Hoyer.

Did you watch the Texans playoff game?

SackExchange69 and Poeman like this.