Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I like Path To The Draft. Some of them are ex-NFL. They've been there. I think they do a good job. But that shit that comes on afterwards is horrible. I can't watch it. I start puking, I can't help it

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If I recall he threw the same screen for a TD to Powell the very next week.

_

3. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

#FitzWatch moves to Day 12..............

5. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

If they let RG3 walk realistically he's probably the best of what's floating around as an alternative or he wants too much money.

Unless Denver gets desperate I think Fitz will be back on a $10-12 million deal that is hopefully highly performance incentive based. If he finally found his calling then he earns it and everyone is happy.

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Wow. This is such a contrast from last year where Mac set the standard for the offseason. I can't help but think he's more waiting for the San Fran/Denver situation to clear up. He'll make cuts when he knows his plans.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

It's gotta be salary cap, plain and simple. Worst case is San Fran or Cleveland goes for Fitz. Crazy as it is San Fran has enough room currently to sign Fitz and retain Kaepernick as well as Blaine Gabbert.

Cleveland is a total toss up. McKown is moderately serviceable but he's been banged up badly. They also have room. If they plan to draft and mentor I could see it.

Denver has interest but neither the Jets nor Denver have room to get locked in some bidding war over this. Unless Fitz wants a SB ring they offer similar deals and he thinks Denver is a better option I don't see it happening.

If it all comes down to Denver and the Jets unless Denver sees it imperative they make an immediate run this year Fitz will probably be a Jet again and we'll have many other pressing issues to address. I just wish they'd lock it up sooner to address those issues sooner.

#1707 Thewatchfuleye, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

12 days is long enough for us to know that Fitzpatrick doesn't really want to be here. He's explored the market and understands what it is and that our offer is the best he's likely to get and he's still hanging in the wind out there hoping circumstances change somewhere and a better offer magically appears for him.

It could be pride on his part, because we called the market and gave him the top offer and he refused it. It could be that he's actually planning to retire if he can't get a windfall that makes him stick around. It's clear though that playing for the Jets is not on his priority list because he'd have come back into the fold on a face-saving deal before now if it was.

matt robinson 17 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He probably saw "Concussion" in the offseason and is holding out for a big chunk ;)

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right, but not necessarily. I think Fitz enjoys the game, but first and foremost, he's playing it for the money. He knows the system here and has chemistry with his receivers and offense (except Forte) already. He doesn't really need the OTAs and mini-camps. He could sign at the beginning of TC or during TC and it would be like last season.

It's only we fans that are panicking and wanting something done now. Fitz probably thinks that sooner or later, the Jets will make a higher offer because, no one wants Geno as the starter and the only decent remaining FA option is RG3. If RG3 signs with Cleveland, Denver or SF, that leaves Fitz with more leverage.

In addition, he may have decided to wait until a QB goes down in the season and a team is desperate, and then hope he can get more money. He could prefer to come back here, but first and foremost, he wants to cash in.

11. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Fitz or no Fitz with this seasons schedule I don't see the Jets even making the playoffs or any kind of a push if they some how do.

Jets69 and jerseyjay14 like this.
  12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I guess we will see at the draft whether Petty is the future, if they draft a QB or not...but if we don't then I would start Petty...Fitz price tag will fuck our cap one way or another, bye Fitz...

Jets69 likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I guess it's also possible that Fitzpatrick knows the Jets don't have the cap space at the moment to sign him at their offer without letting somebody else go. He might just be hanging out because he doesn't want to be the reason somebody got cut. I don't think that's the case but I should have mentioned it as a possibility in the post above. It is a possibility, particularly if he's afraid that D'Brick would be the cut.

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i dont think it has alot to do with the cap. i think it has to do with not paying an average 34 year old QB 18 million dollars when there are guys like Brian hoyer makign 4.8 million you can probably get for a 5th rounder. i think the preference is fits takes 7 million, but the jets really have no incentive to go higher. fitz isnt great, he isnt young, he doesnt have a long history of consistency year to year, and even if he repeated last season that still probably isnt enough to take us to the playoffs.

you factor all that in and its real easy for mac to continue to say take it or leave it. if im mac id be on the phone with texans trying to repeat what he did last year and get their starter turned backup who had a really solid year

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

even if we brought back fitz and even if we liked petty id still strongly suggest drafting a QB. as we see now, unless you have a franchise guy you always need options

hwismer and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Either Fitz takes the paycut or Petty takes the reins. Clearly no one else wants him or he'd have signed with someone else. No one wants to pay that much for an older QB who only had one really good season. At this point, he's just holding out in hopes he'll get SOMETHING more.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

I doubt the jets are winning the super bowl next year with fitz. I agree with Mac to not overpay. Fitz can crawl to Denver or just retire. Save the cap space for next year. Let geno and petty battle it out this year . Geno will be a FA after this season as will Glennon. Maybe jets draft another qb this yr. take their lumps with geno and get a better draft pick next year.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I hate posts like this. So much of the NFL is unknown right now to think this way. Way too negative. Anything could happen. Heck, the Broncos looked like a joke the last month of the season, now they are Super Bowl Champions. Look up and down the AFC. No one is that good. The Jets could easily make a run if things fall into place.

DownAndOut and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. No offense, but I think your post is way too positive. The Jets still have too many holes and question marks, not enough ILBs, bad OTs, no pass rusher, and no QB. I think saying that the Jets could "easily make a run if things fall into place" is pie in the sky dreaming and has no connection to reality. They are more likely to finish 6-10 or worse than they are to "easily make a run." Mac would have to draft 6 starters and/or key backups, get a pass rusher, both a solid LT and RT, a punter, a PR, Amaro would have to learn how to block and catch, Harrison would have to prove to be a revelation at RG, everyone stay healthy, and Fitz re-sign and have a much better year than last year for the Jets to "easily make a run."

20. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

The Broncos have a history of winning. The Jets have a history of, well being the Jets.

The Dark Knight, Brook! and Acad23 like this.