Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am not saying "open fire" since negotiations have always been ongoing I presume.

Just saying if the FO really wants Fitz they give him incentives...(not guaranteed money) that can give him his $.

Fitz already has made 30 mil over his NFL career. Also Denver already has Sanchez like Dark Night rep[ied so where is Fitzs market now? Cleveland?

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

The fans have suffered with bad QB'S a lot longer than Mac and TB have.
    Fitz may not be great, but he's certainly been a refreshing change from what we have seen the last dozen years.

I still think Fitz will be back for a team friendly number, but after we do all of our other moves. We need his cap space now, but he'll be back.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Here we go again.......As if all of this wasn't said before. Fitz is is a stop gap until Petty or another qb gets it. He is not a franchise QB. Geno is only here because he is cheap. It looks like he will never get it to become a franchise qb. You have the right to laugh if he ever gets it, but to be honest right now all the Geno haters are laughing.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Remind me which QB the Broncos went out and got? But, sure, they would rather have the one they haven't signed. What next, 1+1=3?

74 likes this.
  5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be clear this situation makes me somewhat nervous. But there is a way to understand it that makes sense and should make us all less nervous.

The Jets so far have probably not offered what they might be prepared to offer in the end. That is likely the case since Fitz's agent is asking for such a lofty number that countering it in the current situation is not likely to bring them down in the short run to a number that would be a reasonable compromise. Why?

Because both sides were lacking a critical piece of information - will any other team come close to offering the number Fitz is seeking? Now we are seeing that the answer to that seems to be no. But do the Jets think Fitz's camp has come to a conclusion in that regard? They have to see some evidence indicating they do.

In other words, given the overall situation, I think the ball is in Fitz's camp to make the next move. I think they have to lower their asking price, and lower it enough to make the Jets think they can counter that and end up with that reasonable compromise. Meanwhile they are looking at other options, both because of the obvious reason they may need to go in another direction eventually. But also as a leverage play.

This is a classic negotiation play.

Two things can become a problem given the foregoing . Maybe some other team does make an offer higher than the Jets are willing to go. But so far that has not happened. It still might. The other is that Macc gets too nervous and pulls the trigger going in another direction. I don't see that happening in the near term. But at some point his obligation to get a better Qb than Smith on the roster may force his hand.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NEPAJetsFan

NEPAJetsFan New Member

I agree with this completely. Fitz is a stop gap (and a good one at that) until Petty is ready. I really hope they do sign Fitz because he is someone you want Petty to watch and learn from. Lets face it, Fitz isnt overly athletic. What Fitz does offer is that he is a smart quarterback. Ive been telling my father forever that I would rather have a quarterback who was smart and able to read defensive schemes and make changes on the fly than a quarterback that rolled out only to run the ball every other down. Petty is super smart, and very athletic with an accurate cannon for an arm. If he can learn the smart game play from Fitz, he will have no issues physically. With all of this being said, I am extremely pleased with Mac holding his ground and not overpaying him.

FlaJet likes this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Word. What Mac be thinkin offer Fitz money when he be the reason we ain't be making the playoffs. He must listening to all these Jets fans on here and shit. TB lost his mind naming Fit the starter, like wtf

74 likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Mac came from Houston where they've never had a QB; obviously he understands the need for QB's and has suffered without one professionally in regards to lack of on field success because of it. It's the reason he brought in Fitz to begin with.

So if he hasn't rushed to resign Fitz for an amount he believes isn't his value, despite the fact that he obviously finds him competent since he brought him in to begin with, it can't simply be dismissed that he doesn't have the context that Jets fans have that creates the fans desperation to exaggerate one season of tremendous success versus an average career. He has similar context but is simply rational in his approach.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Heard on NFL network Fitz was asking for 18M per. This guy can't be serious can he!?! 8-10M max for 2 years is the direction I go. No need to put this franchise behind again with a bad deal

10. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

This whole fitz thing is taking yo damn long. Next you know it'll be draft day and we will still be talking about whose gunna be qb

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

April 1st Kaep stays or leaves SF. Two quarterbacks (Fitz and Kaep) 3 places to go: Cleveland, NY or SF

Fitzsexton will have to choose Cleve or NY in all probability

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, I simply think it is a matter that Fitz and his agent are asking for too much at this point. Once they see no other team is going to offer big money, the real negotiations will proceed.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

If I'm the Jets I lower the orig (rumored) 7/8 per year offer to a 2 year 12 million offer ... no reason to bid against ourselves

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

NFL QB's making at least 18M with worse 2015 records than Fitz and no SB's:
    (otherwise would include E. Manning and B. Roethlisberger)

Matt Ryan 8-8
    Philip Rivers 4-12
    Kirk Cousins 9-7
    Ryan Tannehill 6-10
    Jay Cutler 6-9

Not saying the Jets should pay what he wants, just looking at it from his perspective.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

16. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

He's only worth that if another team offers it. Those QBs didn't hit the open market (IIRC), so their organizations had the money and no problem giving them that. We don't have as much money and haven't been pushed to give him that much.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

id take everyone of those guys over fitz. without hesitation. he shouldnt be makin the money those guys do or even half of it

18. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take tannehill

PabloJa likes this.
  19. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I dont think Forte or Marsh would agree with Cutler again. I used to be a huge fan of his in Denver but he has become a really bad QB , especially when you consider the weapons around him have always been decent enough to succeed with.

I agree that Fitz shouldn't be making that type of $$ , but really only Rivers is that much better than him.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Everytime I've watched a Fins game lately Tannehill looked ok.

Seemed like he was playing from behind mostly...that tends to force a qb into doing desperate dumb things.

I think he's pretty good.