Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Fatesca said the Colts and Luck were gonna be signing a a massive $100 million guarnteed contract tommorow ,that's what he said the Colts announcement was.Turns out fatboy was wrong and its Peytons second retirement speech to Colts fans

2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Don't blame The Niners for turning down the Broncos, a fourth round pick is nothing. Kelly might as well let Kaep try and run that offense. Hopefully Fitz realizes his market isn't going up and stays but hurry up, beard one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

That's a lofty number. Do you attribute that many pages more to the amount of time Fitz will take to sign or the ability of this forum to talk about nothing for dozens of pages very quickly?

FJF likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's just forgetting one very important factor that will keep the Fitz thread well below 294 pages. Well, two factors given that nobody in their right mind would ever refer to Peyton Manning and Fitzpatrick in the same thread.

5. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Pretty much

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Wait....
    In the second paragraph you're bitching about upcoming bidding war with Denver. Then in the very next sentence saying Jets need to immediately open fire to start the war... Yeah, that makes sense

And no, there will not be a bidding war. I highly doubt Fitz will move Mac from the designated number by more than 1-1.5 M. So he might get, let's say 9-9.5 instead of 8, but he isn't getting 15+

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm guessing we have another 2 weeks of guessing that amounts to about 80 pages, then the Jets beat writers will be fed fake leaks from both sides that turn this thread into a frenzy for one reason or another. At least 60 pages in the 2 days prior to him signing for a number that I don't approve of.

I picked a random number, but the number I picked is forseeably far from this one.

In other words, I'm talking out of my ass.

FJF, hwismer, RuJFan and 2 others like this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I understand you're projecting your own irrationality onto Fitz and his agent if you think they would think they could compare him and Luck and have it taken seriously.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm no money guy, but after hearing all the stuff thrown around, this is my take on a reasonable offer the team and Fitz could live with.

I say offer him a 3 year contract worth a base of $30M, $20M of it guaranteed, with $9M of it in Signing Bonus. Give him $11M split over the first two years and a salary of $10M in the third year (not guaranteed). Worse case scenario, we can cut him in year three and only be on the hook on the cap for that part of the bonus and only paid $20M the two years he started which is good value for a starter.

Now with that being said I would work in at least $2M in reachable incentives each season beyond the base contract for things like 30 TD, 3,500 yards passing, making the playoffs, Etc. With a cool $1M bonus if we made the SB and he is the starter. Definitely worth the money on the last incentive, and we can hope.

All said and done with bonus and incentives over the three years deal, the best/worst case it would have an average value of $12M-$13M a year, but in reality we would only expect to pay out around $36M if he played well for three seasons. Which is still an awesome deal for a starting QB.

The big question is would he take something like this? It would be more than three times what he made last year as a starter and more than any other team is offering.

OK, blast it away and poke holes.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but if there's a 9M signing bonus on top of a 30M base total, then the cap hit will be 13 million each Years 1 and 2 fully guaranteed and then 13 million Year 3 with 3 million dead money if we cut him. Is that what you're suggesting?

11. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Fuck fitz sign rg3 and move on

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We just have to wait this one out unless we have a really good alternative idea. Right now I don't see that idea but it might emerge at some point. The reality has always been that if somebody was willing to give Fitzpatrick more than $10M a year he was going to leave. The question is whether that team is out there and right now the answer looks like no. This may stretch out until the draft and if it does, well that probably greatly increases the chances the Jets make another move, either during the draft or in it's immediate aftermath.

It was a lot of fun watching Fitzpatrick last year but there's no guarantee the fun will continue this year and paying him like that's a lock is the kind of mistake I think the Jets will avoid under the new regime.

13. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah but how ready could Bryce Petty be? As that is the question!

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hopefully that's an Ace in Mac's hand that he feels good about, and the reason he's calling Fitz' bluff.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Did Marshall let one slip? We know he's been in constant contact with Fitz from the segment on the Rich Eisen Show.

"This Fitz thing reminds me of the Brett Favre coverage when he was deciding on retirement!!"

Is he just comparing the amounts of media coverage or is he suggesting that Fitz is also considering retirement? Am I grasping at straws and reading way too much into an Instagram post? Is Fitz ever going to do something so we can stop all this ridiculous speculation? Are we actually going to elect either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton?

I don't know. There's nothing left to talk about with this crap anymore, all we can do is speculatively talk about things that we know nothing about. I hate the offseason. I'm exasperated.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The guy seemed to have fun making $3.25 million last year. I'd assume he would have even more fun making double.

17. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

All I'm going to say if the Jets get rid of Smith before letting him play in anymore games we will regret it.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

No...but we know you'll regret it.

19. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

To be honest I will be on here laughing at the Geno haters. I think it crazy people on here want to bring back Fitz when he the reason the Jets didn't make the playoffs. He been on a bunch of teams for a reason.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lol that's right. Denver wants the butt fumbler over Fitz.

I think the CS wants Geno like another hole in the head. That choice prob out;

RG would be a mistake imo. Sanchez sucked. I doubt we roll out Petty this soon but who knows

Who is better ? Hoyer or Glennon. Wonder what those trade would cost