Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i dont know that he is any worse then fitzpatrick

2. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I can agree with that

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It isn't so easy to get league average QB play given our situation. There are no QBs available on our roster or on the market who have provided league average (or even a little below average) play in the past couple seasons, and we don't have a high draft pick. Getting league average QB play for 10 million gives us a much better chance of winning than spending the 10 million elsewhere and getting replacement level play. Of course, if we would have to pay Fitz 15 million, that would change and we would be better off looking elsewhere.

4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd offer a fourth for Glennon and no more. What's the going price for QB'S..... SF are trying to pull a third for Kaepernick? GFY Tampa Bay.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

foles, hoyer. im confident both could deliver that given the weapons we have. rg3 could. moore could. yates could. glennon could.

great wepons and a solid OC. i dont think thats really all that difficult to do. fitz isnt special.

bigbucks24 likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not super confident in that. That would require those players you mentioned to jump from replacement level to average. OTOH Fitz has been putting up decent numbers since 2010. But if Chan thinks differently, his opinion is worth more than mine.

7. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Moore signed with the Dolphins today.

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

There should be a law against uttering these words. You are right, Fitz is not 18 million per year material . However, just give him 3 years 42 mil and when Bryce is ready in 2 years cut Ryan and move on.

9. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

TNJet likes this.
  10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I heard Tampa wants a 3rd. Not sure why you're all saying a 1

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They're looking at the Matt Schaub situation in Atlanta as a guideline. The Falcons held onto Schaub and eventually traded him to the Texans for 2 2nds and a trade up in the 1st from 10 to 8. QB is a high demand, low supply position. If you have a guy who might be a starter often you're best off just keeping him until somebody gets desperate and makes you a ridiculous offer.

HomeoftheJets and jdon like this.
  12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

But he was good in Napoleon Dynamite........
    [​IMG]

Flymax and Br4d like this.
  13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

It's Hughes reporting on Francesa's reporting that the Bucs asked for a first. Might be flimsy, but it's the only mention that I've been able to find about the Jets talking to the Bucs.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why wouldn't the Bucs ask for a 1st as their opening salvo? I would, if he was my backup QB and had started a bunch of games and was 26. If they call somebody up and say we'll take a 1st for Glennon, well that's probably kind of ludicrous but if somebody calls them? 1st is where I'd start assuming I wanted to trade him at all. If they want to keep him on the cheap contract for another year as a backup then 1st is where they'll stay too.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I do think a lot of what you rightly describe here comes under the general heading of team chemistry. But I would also agree with you that it's part and not all of it that is to Fitzpatrick's credit. The other players were all part of it, too, and the ones you mentioned stepping up was at least a two way street.

I am on record of not being a Smith fan, and here I think Fitzpatrick being a welcome relief from all the bad karma that Smith had and brought was a likely factor. In other words if Fitz had been following say Peyton Manning, it would not have been near the same. The Jet players knew they were lucky to have Fitzpatrick be such a change of pace from Smith.

Another way to put it was that while the chemistry worked, and Fitz deserves credit for that, he was also in the right place at the right time.

I am thinking this is as much a reason as any that no other teams seem prepared to offer a huge payday to him. Really the team that he brings the most value to is the Jets, so that's where he should end up.

(Ftr I am not really a darksider, see?)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The problem here is the intangible of how the team would react to the change that would be involved in any new Qb coming to the team. If the Jets have to move on from Fitz because of the cost, so be it. But let's not pretend there is nothing more involved than merely plugging one of the others in, with the stats they've had before, and having no issues getting up to speed.

Let's put it this way - imo Marshall is the team's best player on O, and arguably the best on the team, with Wilkerson his main competition. Do you think Marshall thinks it would make no difference to play with, say, Hoyer over Fitzpatrick?

I think he thinks it would make a difference. You can say that is a less significant factor than I might. But it is something of a factor.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think Marshall will talk the talk about Hoyer/Geno/RG3/whomever but you know no one is going to take the chemistry role Fitz had with his WRs and Marshall is not going to be all too happy about it.

_

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  20. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

Signing RGIII to an incentive type deal is a better option than trading ANY pick for Glennon in my opinion.

Sam Hammer and angryjetsfan like this.