Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

WE are trashing Fitz when its his agent who is a dirt bag and has priced him out of the market or at least it looks that way. I think Fitz is best suit for this team and out FO/CS believes that also otherwise we wouldn't have 65 pages of our opinions. At some point you need to have a meeting of the minds - both side move towards each other - and if that is NOT possible then you do have to move on.

The list above is atrocious and the thought of Geno being the QB is sickening but at some point enough posturing.

2. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

That where your wrong. I would like to see the Jets sign Fitz but I'm just getting tired of Fitz getting greedy. If this was Geno I would be saying the same thing. I have said on here many times . I don't care who the starter is as long as the Jets win.

tiger8mush and angryjetsfan like this.
  3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

_

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No matter what happens with Fitz Geno isn't starting next season. The only way they decide to move forward with Geno is if they know for absolute certainty not only is he a viable starting QB but is going to have a pro bowl season; and they don't seem to be Nostradamus to me. Otherwise there is no way they just welcome the public backlash they would get.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!

6. NCJetsfan

Petty! Petty! Petty!

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I didn't say no sane businessman would replace Fitz with RG3. That depends on how he values Fitz vs. RG3. I specifically said that no sane businessman would revoke an offer out of spite, i.e without a backup plan in place.

8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The great thing about incentives is they have to be earned. The ones I listed (32 TDs, 4000 yards, playoffs) would all be career highs for Fitz. If he thinks he deserves the money make him earn it, that's my only point. And I never said $15M or any other # but if Fitz earned those incentives the Jets would have had a pretty good season and paying the journeyman QB more than $7M would be worth it. If he doesn't perform he doesn't get the money.

Good teams don't let money dictate player personnel decisions. The first and best example I can come up with is the Seahawks choosing to start their 3rd round pick over the shiny new $9M free agent. If the Jets sign Fitz this year I hope they still give Petty a chance to win the job, and if he earns it he should start. I hope the days are over of Rex and his unflinching loyalty to the grizzled vets.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except players believe and should get paid based on their abilities, but there are variables outside of a player's control that could prevent him from receiving incentives. What if the OL sucks and Fitz is sacked constantly? In that situation he doesn't get paid because he wasn't able but because his OL wasn't any good. Why would any player sign such a ridiculous contract? His base salary should be his value, be then incentives anything extra.

I'm not a Fitz fan so I don't think he'd reach such incentives. But it's ridiculous for him to not pursue his own perceived value and accept a deal where just to reach his perceived value he would be dependent on other players own performance.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Monday is here, Lets get this nonsense done or Fitz can go play in Canada or Arena

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

You have to look at his entire body of work not just last season.Look at the massive contract Buffalo gave him awile back ,we all know it didnt end well.This is also what his 12th or 13th year in the leauge with zero playoff appearances

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

That's not true at all. Are you calling the Steelers a bad team? The Pats? The Packers? All three teams let money dictate what happens with their rosters.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The question of how you manage the cap varies from team to team. It is true that good teams don't allow their rosters to become choked with overpaid vets who are on the decline. However some teams do pay "elderly" superstars at a high rate if they feel the player is critical to the team's success. Other teams pay younger players at a very high rate because they're afraid to lose them without a similar quality level replacement immediately at hand.

For older players the answer is usually obvious. If you have a Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Joe Thomas you usually pay them what you have to in order to keep them because you cannot find a replacement that will match their production if they leave. If your team is not good then maybe you come to the realization that the player as good as he is would be a block preventing you from developing a bunch of cheaper young players and you let them go anyway.

For younger players the answer should be simple: lock them up as soon as you can to a below market value contract, usually after their third season, and then profit from having done that for several years beyond the point that economics would have forced you to let them go. The second contract, if the player hits free agency and is good, is usually higher than a team can afford to pay and still maintain a competitive roster in the NFL, particularly at the second tier where average starters and good roleplayers reside and at the third tier where backups and special teamers live.

The Jets have suffered heavily from a superstar/average player/backup divide on the roster, with superstars and average players paid too much and street meat behind them on the roster. This is why injuries have been so catastrophic for the Jets over the years. It is why the Jets special teams have sucked for so long. It is a phenomenon that began with the Tannenbaum GM period and has continued ever since, with just Idzik's two years of spend no money as a a break in the flow.

Mo is a perfect example of a player who should have been locked up after his third year by Idzik but with whom no deal was possible. He and his agents likely looked at the Jets salary structure over the years and concluded that when push came to shove the Jets would give in and hand him the very rich high end contract that he was looking for. Then we brought Revis back last year at top of the market and that position likely hardened into stone.

Snacks is another player that many a team would have locked up without much difficulty, since he had so few guarantees in his previous 3 years he should have been willing to deal at a reasonable level for some guaranteed money last year. However the Jets locker room is full of haves and have nots and so he too was hard to manage as he saw lots of players getting lots of cash in free agency last year and undoubtedly decided to go test the market himself this year.

If the Jets do give in to Mo's desire for a huge contract with lots of guaranteed money it will just make Calvin Pryor harder to deal with at the end of the season. It will make Leonard Williams harder to deal with at the end of his third season. It will make everybody harder to deal with.

The Jets now have good talent evaluation in house for the first time in a long time. They need to change how they deal with free agency and player value and take advantage of the cheaper talent in the draft. They need to lock those guys up to reasonable deals after year 3 so the cap doesn't become an overhanging weight on the Jets ability to compete. It may take another couple of years for this to really happen, since we're still dealing with Revis Island expectations and no matter how you look at Revis his stances on contract value and earnings effect everybody else in the room for the Jets.

Revis is a leader. People follow leaders. Right to the bank.

Ubiquitous, HomeoftheJets and stinkyB like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Well thought out post, but our special teams have not sucked aside from this past season.

15. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

16. NCJetsfan

Don't forget that the agent works for the player, not vice versa. At ANY time, Fitz can instruct them to lower their demands, accept an offer, or just flat out fire them if he's unhappy with their performance. Most agents are dirt bags, but let's not get ridiculous here. Fitz deserves every bit of of the criticism and trash he is getting imo.

I agree that at some point, we need to move on. Hopefully it won't be too late to sign RGIII.

dogg likes this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I just saw a link from the inquisitor or something, it said 49ers likely to sign Fitz. Probably just speculation and not worth posting. However, I did have a dream we traded for Kaep last night...

angryjetsfan likes this.
  18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna trash Fitz for trying to help his family. Are his demands delusional? Yea. But I can't bad mouth a guy for trying to get money.

Who's it hurting? We're 5 days into free agency. It's not like he's on some prolonged holdout out of refusal to take less than $15 million. It just seems like a long time to us because we follow the team so closely. If it starts to extend into a couple weeks or more, then it's hurting our ability to form a backup plan and we should move on.

HomeoftheJets and JetBlue like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fyp

20. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

[​IMG] Let hit hapen football gods

JetBlue likes this.