Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I admit it. I like pointing out when people are wrong. Probably why I like this board so much.... sooo many people that are wrong it's like Christmas for me. ;)

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!! Merry Christmas!

3. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. NCJetsfan

Well played!

5. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

(Everything I'm about to post is with the assumption Fitz re-signs)

Based on the top tier teams last year and using where we were at our best as a guide, I see no reason that we couldn't compete for the SB.

With that said I think for it to go from an outside chance to a legitimate shot, 1 of 2 areas must be addressed.

1) A good not even great, but solid pass rusher must be acquired or emerge (Mauldin?). Through the draft, or a diamond in the rough / resurrection candidate in FA.

or

2) The o-line is tweaked enough to see a very significant improvement. Breno's replacement is top priority, but Brick isn't Brick anymore either. Unless he rekindles the flame and starts to play with a purpose he can bounce too, not to mention a new sub $10mil contract if he remains.

With one of those in place, or by some miracle both come to pass we're a legit contender.

Losing Snacks sucks and sure we won't be quite as stout against the run, but I see many strides being made from last year to this year.
    RB has been upgraded in both talent and ability to catch, no more passing liability. Our 3rd option in Khiry should be a much improved option over last year. Amaro will be back. Fitz, Marshall, and Deck will now have a full offseason to synchronize and just improve on an already amazing level of continuity. I think the lack of Cro is a positive, let one of these young guys prove themselves. Pryor gets better every time he takes the field, Williams will be much improved as will Sheldon and Mo who are still young players. DeMario leaving I also see as a positive, replacement level at worst can emulate his play, though I do hope we can retain Henderson.

Last year we were a top 10 team that played like a top 3 team for a stretch. I see nothing but improvements this year, pending we retain Fitz...

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think with the way all the mock draft boards are turning out and a suave GM potentially still making moves we should be able to hit both those points. As a matter of fact I'll say maudlin steps up AND we get a starter in the draft.
    We also got CFL stud (using the term loosely) Freddie Bishop

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Lack of patience. :p:D:cool:

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Why is Woody not giving Fitzy more money? Because Woody is afraid of victory. He supported Jeb Bush because he knew that there was no chance of that happening. So now he has us courting Bob Griffin.

Come on, this needs to happen. Hell, when is the last time we had a QB that didn't make you cringe when the ball was snapped?

3 years 45 million with incentives.

Do it!!!!

9. NCJetsfan

Utter hogwash.

angryjetsfan likes this.
  10. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Given that RGIII is on day 2 of his visit, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we'll prob have another QB signed shortly - doubt they let RGIII leave without a contract if Fitz doesn't reduce his demands.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Oh really? Ask Denver fans what it feels like going from this:
    [​IMG]

to this:
    [​IMG]

Now who thinks lowballing is a good idea?

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They offered a QB with 7 career starts around $15 mil a year. That's low balling?

Irresponsibly tossing money around the way you want to is how teams get themselves in trouble. I want Fitz back, but just giving him 3/45 like he wants would be a disaster.

RuJFan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Total hogwash. That is a fair offer for Fitz for what he brings to the table. You don't pay players for past performance. That influences their worth, but you pay them for what they're going to do. That's why many older vets wind up playing for the vet minimum or some relatively small amount above that, even though they were very good players who may have made a lot of money earlier.

angryjetsfan likes this.
  14. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

It's sad that Peter King is right. People not wanting to pay Fitzy more than 7 mil a year have a very short memory about our previous QB woes and also strongly support:
    [​IMG]

16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'd love to do some home improvement for you. Easy sales pitch: "HeyTNT, you gotta pay me $3K to paint that room. You remember all the previous painters you got, right?"

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I believe what is being lost here in this discussion is that an NFL contract is worth the paper it is written on. Make up any number you want and you better believe that player is not getting that amount unless it is a big lump sum up front signing bonus.

Dee Milliner got an up front 7.5 million dollar signing bonus in 2013, that is what is really crazy.

18. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Broncos have reached out to the representatives for free agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick in recent days.

According to Schefter, the Broncos have had “preliminary” talks with Fitzpatrick, but are currently unwilling to pay him the kind of salary he’s looking for.

Schefter adds that the Broncos and Fitzpatrick could revisit those talks down the line, but for now, Denver plans monitor Fitzpatrick’s situation while exploring other quarterback options to compete with Mark Sanchez.
    ________
    This sounds like it could take a while...

angryjetsfan likes this.
  19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this should end pretty soon. it has to be evident to fitz's reps that they are way to high on their price.