Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I can't put my finger yet on if he is a troll posing as a Jets fan or if he is bat shit crazy.

I'm leaning more towards the latter...He's straight up looney tune. Been hating on Fitzpatrick since his OP on the boards

2. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Fitz gambled and he lost.

He is losing more leverage each and everyday. He knows this is the best fit for him

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He's a jerkoff. One of those hemmaroids on the internetz you run into, like dogshit on the bottom of your shoe you can't scrape off.

_

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

His last remaining leverage is with Denver if they can't trade for Kaep. He has no hope of a big deal but he can try to get a bidding war going between them and us.

5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm happy the JETS are handling this the way they are. It mirrors how I feel. Yeah I want fitz back but if it's not the right price let him walk. He's a short term answer as much as I liked him

74 and KingRoach like this.
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He is a formidable bridge to the Bryce Petty era.

_

7. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

If Jets hold form and get Fitzpatrick for about 8 mil, I would say Mac has gotten every player this year for the absolute minimum that you could have been expected to get them (Forte, Powell, Fitz, and I guess even Khiry)

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I want Fitz back for sure. I just don't really understand the entire argument of don't overpay him. If we sign him for a 4 year deal at that price, yes it can screw us for the future. But a 2 year deal at around 15 - 16m? The core of our team is old. If we go cheap at QB this year, where can we spend that money anyways to improve our defense? Every play maker on D is gone already. It's a silly argument IMO.

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

FA just started, someone always shakes out later. Even if not, you can roll over $$ for the next year when these "extra" 7-8M might be the difference between signing the guy you really want vs. getting outbid by someone with larger stash.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is correct, my one difference is he should be signed because HE IS a short term answer to a position that hasn't been good since 2002's Chad Pennington to be completely honest. So I would pay him now that it is Day 3. If the offer is 8, I would up it to 12. That should do it.

11. dawinner127

For sure. I just don't think it handicaps us as much as everyone is making it out to seem. Going cheap at QB this year and not upgrading the D to make it elite is basically throwing this year away. Do you think our D is as good as Denvers last year to win the Superbowl with subpar QB play? I don't.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Are you defining "throwing a year away" as not winning SB? If this is your measuring stick, then it won't matter whether Jets sign Fitz, or RG3, or roll with Geno because we are not winning SB with either of them.

I define success as steady improvement, staying competitive, building the mass until the team is finally ready for the title fight. It doesn't happen in one season and from this perspective I'd like Fitz to continue mentoring Petty. Even then I'm not sure I like the lesson Petty is learning now. Regardless, you don't overpay people unless you're shooting for the title. So this is not the year to do it.

13. dawinner127

With Fitzpatrick, they are a playoff caliber team. Without, who the hell knows. They won't be successful or an enjoyment to watch if Geno is the guy - To me, that is throwing a year away and wasting a year of our core players (Revis, Harris, Brick, Mangold, Marshall). How long will this steady improvement go? What are they building for in the future? Wilkerson, Sheldon, and Pryor (maybe????) are really the only players who can be in the plans for the future as stars. The core of our players are old. They are a win-now team. They had a top 10 offense and a top 10 defense last year and that is enough to compete for the Lombardi.

14. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

I don't see why you can't understand that no one, not even his supporters, want to pay him $12M. Literally no one, everyone here is saying he doesn't deserve that much, your hatred is real.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he's a bridge, then at worst, I see him more as one of those rope bridges indigenous peoples make out of vines in remote jungle areas to cross rivers or canyons. At best, he's the Bridge Over the River Kwai.

16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

If you believe with Fits Jets can compete for SB, then I understand why you'd want to overpay him. I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong.

17. NCJetsfan

Caver! lol

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Our defense is pretty damn close. If you look at Denver's 2014 defensive statistics they are only slightly better than our 2015 in total yards per game (13.4 dif) and both rushing (3.6) and passing yards per game (9.8). We did better in points allowed per game (2.5 dif).

Why am I looking at 2014? Because that's the year before they won the super bowl so that's the appropriate comparison.

Will our 2016 D be as good as their 2015? Maybe ~ But if not they won't be off by much. They had players step up this year. If we have Marcus Williams continue to shine becoming a starter and Mauldin have a solid year and draft a starting edge rusher then I'd go from maybe to probably.

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I hate to be the one to point it out to you but...

20. NCJetsfan

There's one in every crowd. :eek::rolleyes:o_O