Wilkerson gets franchise tag

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't say Mo is a goner. Way too soon to tell.

2. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Ugh as much as I hate to say it because Mo is worth more than that it could be the right move at this point.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Some writer did a piece on this but I can't remember who. Good stuff:

The Jets apparently offered Olivier Vernon $14 mil a year for 5 years. The only way they could possibly free up that money is by trading Mo. I'm starting to think more and more that a trade is the direction they're thinking of going.

IIMeanDeanII and ctjetsguy like this.
  4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

San Francisco, - despite having a lot of CAP space, has been eerily quiet in FA. I stand by my statement from a month ago. I think SF will be our trade partner for Mo involving draft picks (it better include their 2nd rounder this year #37 unless it includes their 1st rounder in 2017).

EDIT ---- I hope the below story is not true. I believe that trading Mo will be hard enough on the locker-room & the team. We don't need a story saying the FO was trying to acquire a different DL to replace him.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/03/jets_were_serious_players_for_olivier_vernon_per_r.html

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Vernon wouldn't be a replacement for Mo, he'd be a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE in the nickel. Mo is a 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT. It would be like if I had 3 F350 trucks and sold one to buy a Porsche. The Porsche would be used for cruising, but I still have 2 other F350s to do my towing, etc.

6. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

We literally have NO cap space.

7. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

How is this updated? How can the giants have 56 mil on cap space after the contracts the just gave out?

8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

No way that's updated to account for new contracts. It's also probably not updated to reflect the NYJ cuts either. (Or their signing of Forte.)

9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

If I'm Mo I'm VERY annoyed they're willing to give Olivier Vernon big money but not him. That's the clearest sign yet a trade's coming sooner or later.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well they wouldn't give him over $15 mil a year and something tells me Mo is asking for over $15 mil a year.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No offense, but you know what, I don't care if Mo is annoyed. He overvalues his play and his avarice has put the Jets in a bind. Eff him.

James Hasty likes this.
  12. NYJFan10

How many big-name players aren't greedy? It's not even like Mo's holding out every other year a la Revis the first time around.

And how much is he really overvaluing himself if he's asking for $100 million when Marcell Dareus who I couldn't pick out of a lineup just got $108 and an inconsistent, unproven Oliver Vernon got $17 million a year?

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

MO really isn't a huge impact player though to warrant that kind of money. Just because another teams are handing out dumb contracts to players that do not deserve that much, doesn't mean we should too.

We clearly valued Vernon at a certain price, he got more than our assessment on him, it's the same thing with MO.

We have a certain value on him, we are willing to give him money based on that value, they won't go past that and that is a very good thing.

Does it sting at times to be so disciplined, yep, but I would rather them stock to their value chart than overpay and find ourselves in cap hell again.

That is not how you establish a playoff caliber team year in and year out..

IE: Mr.T

James Hasty and KingRoach like this.
  14. NYJFan10

I don't really disagree tbh, I'm just not faulting Mo for 'overvaluing' himself when really the market shows he's not overvaluing himself moneywise. Well unless he's asking for $150 million anyway. I don't fault Fitzpatrick and his agent for overvaluing himself either for that matter, most of the QB market is stupid so I can't blame them for trying to get as much as they can. Football's the one sport where you really can't hold it against the player for being money-hungry since the contracts aren't fully guaranteed. Well unless they do diva things that hurt the team like Revis constantly holding out on signed contracts anyway. When players are FA's that's one thing but holdouts are another story.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree with that too, I don't blame MO for wanting to get paid according to the rest of the players around the league.

I just don't want our team to overpay just because that is what other teams have deemed appropriate for their players, most the time it is the teams that rarely go to the playoffs on a regular basis that are spending this type of money on players that are really only hurting the team from a financial standpoint in the long run.

IE: Bills, Dolphins, Jets

Fortunately I think we finally have a GM that can spot quality players and at a much lower price and isnt willing to dole out that type of cash for good players just because these other teams are.

Pay them what you think they are worth, if they don't accept, you find an alternative that is just as effective.

Right now, that's what is impressing me the most with Mac.

Eye for talent, and staying true to the value/price chart for the players they are interested in. It should set us up for success in the future.

Fingers crossed.

RochesterJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cosentino reports we traded Mo to the Bears for Bennett and a 2nd. May be real or fake.

17. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

It's fake.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Don't buy this for a minute. It's bogus.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

19. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

that report is fake.... but assume it was real, what are peoples reaction to that kind of value? would you be ok with it?

id be upset getting a pick outside the top 40 and a tight end given we dont use tight ends much.

if it trade mo i want either a first rounder or a QB, OLB, LT