Colin Kaepernick a NYJ?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by championjets69, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 49ers were pathetic last year from a coaching and personnel perspective. How much of that was on the QB and how much was on everybody else? It's not completely clear at this point but obviously some key pieces had just aged out on them and nobody was brought in to pick up the slack.

Vernon Davis had 18 catches in 6 games for 10.8 yards a catch and then got traded to the Broncos where he had 20 catches in 9 games for 10.1 yards a catch. That's just called getting old. It happens to everybody eventually. He had 26 receptions for 9.4 a catch the year before when people said Kaepernick lost it. Well, when your All-Pro TE suddenly gets old at 31 the offense takes a hit.

Anquan Boldin is still a very good receiver but he was 35 last year and his numbers went down. That's not on the QB most of the time, it's on Father Time.

Frank Gore was the big back in 2014 and gone in 2015 and Carlos Hyde, his replacement, got hurt after 7 games. Nobody picked up the slack in the running game.

The OL lost C Daniel Kilgore to a broken leg until week 13, lost RT Anthony Davis to retirement before the season and shuffled players around to fill the gaps. Their QB's were sacked 53 times in 2015, with Gabbert getting sacked 9 times in week 14 by the Browns.

I'm still thinking Kaepernick is a good reclamation project for somebody who has a clue about how to support the QB. I'd rather re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick and draft a QB at some point to go along with Petty but if Fitzpatrick signs elsewhere I'd much rather have Kaepernick than Geno behind center next year.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Great point. From the Niners' perspective, that kind of trade with the Jets would only seem to make sense if they had no trade options that did not involve giving up their number 1, they got a potential starting Qb in return (not happening), or they were just absolutely determined to unload CK even though the next man up is Gabbert. And if it is the first, that means the trade with the Jets we are considering ain't happening, and if it is the third that tells you what the Niners think of CK.

Not happening, imo.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

SF could always sign Fitz ...

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Just throwing a curve ball. In case we can't sign Fitz to a deal, you guys think Chan would transform Sanchez to a servicable QB? I believe Sanchez is a FA no?

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

HELL NO! I'd rather they fold the franchise. Get the hell out of here with that nonsense.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh! Here's a perfect example of the problem with message board allies!

Brook! likes this.
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

You drunk already, no more Sandwedge talk please....:confused:

Brook! likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sorry sir :(

9. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Kapernick had his 15 min. ... next please.

Not sure why these threads are popping up about adding veteran QBs. We have a great situation with gutsy winner Fitz for now, and Petty groomed for the future. And if not Petty, we have time to draft another. folks bored this time of offseason perhaps, kicking the conceptual tires perhaps?

10. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Well if Fitz was actually property of the team I'd agree. In the meantime, nothing wrong with kicking the tires on possible alternate scenarios.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I've been hearing this argument lately, but I don't get it. The Jets are a team, they aren't Ryan Fitzpatrick. Who would have thought Trent Dilfer could make a Super Bowl run or even Peyton Manning this year? Truth is, while QB is important, it's not the be all end all. There isn't some magical limitation where these guys can win 10 games, but not win in the playoffs. The Jets beat the Patriots. They could have beaten anybody, but facing the Bills when they had nothing to lose was a recipe for disaster. Get some youth on the oline and a young stud OLB and sky's the limit.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

SIGN THIS BEAST!!!!

13. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

No, he's not. At least at the moment. He'd free up $3.5million in cap space if cut though.

Brook! likes this.
  14. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Surprised we're considering this but even more surprised Denver sees this as a real option and might be willing to give up a decent pick for him.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3rd for Kaep? Sign me up RIGHT NOW. they were a dumpster fire last year and had no weapons. When Kaep had a good OLine, good WRs and a good tightend he was great. Our weapons right now are better than 9ers were back then.

16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Mike Silver says the Jets aren't in the Kaep race.

17. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

That button on your vest...push it. :)

Brook! and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Kaepernick - Great arm, very good running, can't read defenses, doesn't go through progressions, 2 cent head in decision making.

Geno - (see Kaepernick)

Am I missing something here? We already have one of these on the roster, why would we want another and worse trade a pick for the right to have 2 knuckleheads on the team?

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because two are better than one? ;)