Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yes because Matt Cassel just screams "Lock as the starter"

2. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

No but marriota does

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

For a second I actually forgot he was there,We demolished them so badly I forgot he existed

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

5. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

Boy, they must hate Brady as much as we do then.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They do ;]

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Fitzpatrick's agent couldn't negotiate a deal with the Broncos for Osweiler what are the odds he can negotiate a budget-busting contract with them for Fitzpatrick?

For the Broncos a rookie QB behind center isn't going to do next year. They're the defending champs and they're going to want at least some chance to defend their title, an unlikely to the point of almost non-existent prospect with a rookie behind center.

So that leaves them with Fitzpatrick, RGIII, Matt Moore, Matt Hasselbeck, Tarvaris Jackson and Brandon Wheeden as available vets that have started a full season in the NFL. In the trade market they potentially have Colin Kaepernick and maybe Nick Foles as options depending on wtf the Rams are doing at the moment. In the soon to be released category they have Mark Sanchez. In the nobody saw it coming blockbuster trade market they have Drew Brees and maybe Matt Ryan.

So if you're Elway what do you do to try to defend your title?

If I'm sitting in the seat and I like Kaepernick he's the obvious trade choice. He's less than Osweiler would have cost and easily cuttable in a year or two. He's proven he can get to the Super Bowl with a strong defense and good weapons in the offense around him. He's made to order for the Broncos attempt to defend the title and he's obviously available if not ostentatiously so due to the 49ers need to maintain a reasonable trade negotiation posture.

If I don't like Kaepernick then the choices all become less satisfying. Maybe I go to New Orleans and Atlanta first just to see what the situation is. Since Malik Jackson and Osweiler were let go there is enough cap space left to absorb either Brees or Ryan. If those options are a no, with a prohibitive price attached in terms of picks, then I start thinking about RGIII and Fitzpatrick. From a skills standpoint RGIII is a better QB hands down. However his leadership skills have been called into question. Fitzpatrick is a natural leader who has gotten multiple clubhouses to buy into him at various stops, but he's getting older and his arm isn't very good at this point.

I'm not sure which way I'd go on this one. If I could get either one of them fairly cheap, under $10M a year, that's where I'm going. If they're both expensive, then I'm going to look further down the chart and start investigating the other vets. It's possible that Mark Sanchez on a 1 year deal is the best thing left at that point.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Have to admit I'm a bit worried the Broncos are going to sign Fitzpatrick which then leaves us with RG3, Kap or Geno. None of which I'd be overly pleased about.

9. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Last I seen is broncos are trying to get kap, rg3 or glennon

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I have this feeling that Fitzpatrick's arm is working against him in the Broncos search. Elway is more likely to be comfortable with somebody who can make all the throws. It's true that Peyton's arm had declined pretty dramatically by last season but I don't see Elway signing up for somebody with that situation coming in the door.

He might do it if he can't get Kaepernick, doesn't like RGIII and nothing else comes open but I think it's a bit of a longshot.

11. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I'd love RG3 if Fitz goes elsewhere.

RG3 needs a change of scenary, and he'd be a perfect fit in Gailey's offense. Plus, he's still young and has a big chance to rebound.

12. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got this idea that RG3 is a perfect fit in Gailey's offense, seems like the opposite to me.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ahem...You forgot one QB who has two years starting experience, his playing style is somewhat similar to Kaepernick's, and would certainly cost lest than $10 million per year. I'm also certain that his team would likely be quite willing to part with this QB for a reasonable price. His name, you ask? Our very own Geno! ;):D:p

Thewatchfuleye likes this.
  14. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Fuck Fitz he not worth 18mil. The Jets should bring in RG3 for a visit to show there ready to move on. Let be real here it not like he took us to the playoffs.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sure, it's cool. I get what you're saying, considering this is the forum where Quigley has to be cut and Fitz is a Ram.

16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Gailey is so good anyone is a good fit in his offense.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

So true. He is not worth $18 million. He did not take the Jets to the playoffs. Don't forget the Jets have Geno Smith on the roster too. Hey wait a sec.... I see what you're doing! :D;)

Freddy Mondo and westiedog1 like this.
  18. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Nope not doing that. If the Jets don't resign Fitz. Then whoever they sign should let him and Geno battle for the starting job. I'm not saying or ever said to just hand the starting job to Geno.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The only radar Fitzpatrick is on is the Jets, NFL teams have already seen his act time and again, that's why nobody but the Jets are beating his door down.

20. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

So we're nowhere near an agreement with Fitz, really, if he's asking too much Maccagnan better let him walk.