Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I was trying to be generous. LOL I really don't think there's a rush at this point. If Denver has no interest in him, then the Jets are the only team that wants him. They have all the leverage. Even though I'm sure that Mac wants to get the issue resolved, might as well give Fitz some time to come to terms with the fact that we're the only team that wants him.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Why are you so confident the Jets would lose him next year? I believe we have a lot of cap space next year already estimated and he won't cost more than a couple million more than this years cap hit.

3. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Both QBs you cited are younger and better than Fitz. Their deals should have zero bearing on Fitz's deal. Both deals are insane. Neither of those QBs is worth that kind of money. It just shows the desperation for solid QB play in the NFL. I'm glad that Mac is staying calm, staying the course. Our cap situation forces him to, even if he might act differently otherwise, but I don't think he would. Putting a bunch of money on the 2017 and 2018 cap for Fitz is beyond stupid. Fitz is not worth more than $8-$9 million. I'd give him that 100% guaranteed. I'd have incentives for making the playoffs, his making the Pro Bowl, topping his TD totals of last year, etc. that could increase the value of the contract and that would hit the cap next year, but that would be the only way I'd add money to next year's cap for him.

No, the plan isn't to "win now," it's merely to stay as competitive and respectable as they can while they rebuild the team through the draft. They're not gonna help the team by overpaying Fitz.

RexontheBeach and PulseJet like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't see how that is a problem for him. He has had a career where no one has truly wanted him. Now one team does. The Jets. He loves the players here. He loves Chan. The fans love him. It's all win/win. I am not going to blame Fitz as I am sure his agent is causing the problems, but this is a slam dunk situation for him. He will get a huge pay increase and be on a team that wants him and he wants them back.

5. NCJetsfan

I agree for the most part, but he obviously wants more if he can get it or he would have told his agents to accept the Jets offer. He's supposedly very smart, so I find it hard to believe that his agents could convince him that he's gonna get $15 million and that numerous teams were gonna line up for his services. He could still tell them to go ahead and accept the offer. I agree with you that he should, but he's obviously having some difficulty doing so. Maybe because it will be his last payday in the NFL and he's hoping to get as much as he can.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Denver gets Kaep, the only compeition left for Fitz is LA (unless Fitz is dumb enough to consider Cleveland or SF). But LA has the space to outbid us. It comes down to how much more valuable we find Fitz than RG3.

7. NCJetsfan

If for some reason Fitz refuses to sign and RGIII is still available, I'd prefer him over Kaepernick, not only because he's a better QB, but because he's a FA vs having to trade for Kaepernick.

almbleamal likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

I agree mostly but the injury risk worries me.

9. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Rams just tendered Case Keenum. They are rolling with him most likely. Comes down to Fitz deciding what matters. If we knew what the Jets were offering that would help lol.

10. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

The problem with Fitz is that nobody wants him expect for maybe Denver who ironically will be dealing with the same agent as they did with Brock if they are indeed interested in Fitz yet Fitz still thinks he's worth $18 million. The problem with that is we do not have $18 million, Fitz isn't worth half of $18 million, if we did have $18 million it should go to improving the line and outside linebacker positions.

socaljetfan and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

It does me as well, but that's an issue with Fitz as well. IMO we got very lucky with Fitz last year. Asking for the same luck two years in a row is really expecting too much.

12. HomeoftheJets

Fitz gives me agita with his scrambling, but he gets the ball out quickly and hasn't been injury prone (aside from the broken leg in Houston). RG3 simply can't stay on the field.

13. NCJetsfan

Fitz hasn't been injury prone? Look again. Here are his career records: http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanfitzpatrick/2506581/careerstats

He missed 5 games with the Titans in 2013, 3 games with the Bills in 2010, 6 games with the Bills in 2009, and 3 games with the Bengals in 2008. In fact, in only 2 seasons in his career has he played in every game (2011 and 2012 with the Bills).

You guys really need to do your homework before you post on the internet. So much misinformation gets posted and is accepted as fact, when it isn't even remotely fact.

14. HomeoftheJets

Instead of being so quick to insult others, you should think about why the numbers are the way they are. Fitz didn't miss most of those games due to injury. In Tennessee, Locker started the first few games, and in 2009 and 2010, Trent Edwards was the starter at the beginning of the season before Fitz took over. And in 2008, Fitz replaced Carson Palmer when he went down. Fitz's only major injury was the broken leg in Houston.

Walt White and 74 like this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think a mobile QB would be interesting in this system.

Look at how much Fitz was able to gash defenses.

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If there's anyone who should give us the home team discount its Fitz--he was unwanted by most of the league and the NYJ gave him a starting role. There's simply no better situation for him than QB of NYJ. He's smart enough to know this. I expect a signing at 6mm.

17. NCJetsfan

Well, if you are correct, then I stand corrected, and I apologize. I remember reading an article or two last year before we signed Fitz that he had an injury history. I took that as fact, since I haven't followed his career. I do see a lot of misinformation on this site posted by posters who don't bother to do any research at all, so please forgive me for being quick to criticize, and forgive me for posting incorrect info.

18. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I have been away for ever but what about trying to get Zach Mettenberger seeing as Cassel just signed with the titans.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like this.

Players employ agents and the union to insulate them from making emotional decisions like above.

With QBs, if Fitz accepts a lower number than is expected for a player of his caliber, it sends shockwaves through the whole market.

So the union and other agents frown on taking substantial discounts because it adversely affects the entirety of the market for a given position.

IDFjet and FJF like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is a good idea. Haven't heard his name mentioned lately but the Titans definitely have no use for him now.

blackssmagic likes this.