Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Yep. Broncos are the only real threat. Highly unlikely he goes back to Houston or to another terrible franchise like Cleveland. If Brock heads to Houston Fitz heads to Denver unless we pony up the cash.

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

We have no cash lol

3. Beki

Beki Active Member

But can make some roster moves and free up cap space.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I guess Mrs Fitz and the 5 kids will be the losers here...5 or 6 mill extra $ losers

Fitz replacing Manning in Denver? The whole thought sounds weird. Bet most of their fans want Ostweiler.

Will John Elway just give away the money to Fitz? I thought people from Stanford were smart

#564 NYJetsO12, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

6. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the Jets are close to winning a ring, because all the teams close have above average quarterback play. But if you're a QB who wants a ring, the Jets have one of the best supporting casts in football while at the same time having an open starting QB spot. This could change if the Texans sign Brock and Denver can somehow afford Fitz's asking price.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Denver just won the trophy with average to poor QB play.

Much as I like Fitz...no way he's worth 10+ million a year. Especially if it's gonna hinder our defense.

So what do we do?

Start Petty or take the tarp off GeNo?

I don't see any other viable option out there. We don't have the cap space to sign a significant talent at QB or keep Fitz on the team.

Osweiler's not coming here and RGIII would fuck up the chemistry. Kapernick is meh. Both are expensive. I'd rather keep Mo happy.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

To which i replied,
    Jets think fitz is worth 15/year?
    Exactly what in there is troubling you? Other than maybe some admittedly poor grammar

9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If we're aren't close to winning a ring then we are retooling, there isn't much in between.... it's like replacing old parts of your car while keeping it going. I keep hearing about this "window of opportunity".... but that may be shut before it is even opened!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

10. cmcm750203

Because the article it's coming from says nothing about $15 million a year. The Mehta article doesn't even mention $15 as a number it gives a range of $14-$18 over 2 years. The wording of the PFT article is poor but I THINK he means $15 for the overall contract not per.

11. FJF

I quoted the article in my last reply to you. From the link i posted.

12. cmcm750203

Edited my post, but the PFT article uses Mehta as its source and his article doesn't mention the $15 million number at all. That one is linked from the one you linked. Granted it's Manish so I wouldn't be shocked if he changed the original numbers to make more sense but he seems to be implying the jets are looking to pay $7-9 per for 2 not $15 per.

13. FJF

Ok. That seems really low. No wonder a deal hasn't been done. There is no reason right now for fitz not to shop around before going that low

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Here is a question to all of you -

What would you do if you were Fitzpatrick?

Take out you are a Jets fan, if you were Fitz and had a career year and are 34 years old. This is your last contract and it will be a big one. A team will guarantee years and money. The Jets probably give him the best chance to WIN, the most money may come from a team like the LA Rams.

So folks what would you do if you were Fitzpatrick...Go with your heart or your brain?
    Neither are exactly bad situations and I wouldnt be mad if he left if there is a huge gap in guaranteed money.

15. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

Fans want Osweiler, but in my opinion currently Osweiler isn't better than Fitz, athletically he's better, but have these people actually watched the games? Fitz would have likely done equally as well if not better than Osweiler with those same receivers (I'd argue better, Fitz has better reaction time and Osweiler missed a few plays I could easily have seen Fitz making).

Osweiler wants bigger money, and it is likely he will end up costing far more than Fitz. Denver isn't in good shape on the cap either and they could buy maybe 3 years on Fitz and save some money, and with that defense he's probably capable of even getting to and even winning a super bowl.

This one also seems not so crazy when you look at it, you get Fitz somewhat cheaper and draft a QB.

16. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

If they're only offering $7m a team with a lower paid younger starter or injury prone QB could bring him in as a backup, granted it would be the highest in the league but not by much, especially the way things are trending, I mean the Colts were shelling out nearly $4.5 million for Hasslebeck.

17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This is looking too much like the Jeremy Lin situation. Fitz is as good as gone.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Yeah. Fitz signing with Denver and then reaching the SB..... that wouldn't hurt AT ALL.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

19. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

denver has lost 3 starters on that D already, look at all the teams that got carried by their D to the super bowl, like the 85 bears or 02 bucs almost every example of a team carried by a D like that almost went back to mediocrity the next year

20. angryjetsfan

angryjetsfan Active Member

But according to a bunch of reporters Houston is going all in on Brock, wouldn't be too shocked if Fitzpatrick went to the Broncos tbh