Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Not concerned. At Fitz's advancing age, he also needs to be relevant. There aren't that many destinations where he could recapture what he achieved last season - unless he's happy taking the money and joining a 5-11 team (again)

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Problem is, there really aren't any QBs worth trading up for this year (not for the price) and even if there were not one of them is ready to play in 2016.

Fitz or bust in 2016, hopefully it isn't too painful.

_

Ozymandias likes this.
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If the Jets cant give Fitz the contract he wants then it's because they don't have the money. They can't find a trade partner for Mo. They can't cut anybody and replace then cheaply. If the Jets have to move on its because there are no other options.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Walter football has been a joke lately. Walter has his head so far up his ass he doesn't know his ass from his face. Dax in the 2nd is a joke, I would roll over and die if the Jets took Dax in round 2 or 3. He is a bum.

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

When has McCown put up the numbers Fitz did in 2015?

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno Smith 2016: The Last Stand

:( Imagine if he breaks out though.

7. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

He had some pretty good games with crap for receivers and an o-line that couldn't block for poo.

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If we go with Geno then it's a rebuild. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Macc is buying time to see what Petty can do in two years. It sucks but that's the reality. Geno couldn't lead the team to the Pop Warner playoffs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

9. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Or its because they don't think fitz is worth the money he wants

JetBlue likes this.
  10. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

It didn't post this without thinking about it. My friend and I had this discussion on Saturday during our road trip. You can make a good argument for this case.

It's not that Fitz is any better or worse a player than McCown. He's maybe marginally worse. The Browns obviously need help in several areas, but I doubt Fitz would look any worse in their system.

Fitz might be a better option to learn under than McCown going forward for a draftee.

Age is a factor I considered. McCown was also banged up pretty badly towards the end of last season and he's also older. If they draft highly but their pick needs 2-3 years before starting, this puts McCown at 39 years old. Fitz has a much better chance of being physically able to play that long so if they were to sign him to a 3 year now, so you release McCown or keep him as a backup to Fitz in the short term. If whoever they pick is good after two then you've got a veteran backup in Fitz at that point who could still potentially play a few more seasons and it is at a point in which point he may accept that backup role due to age as opposed to just bouncing to yet another team as he'd be in the league longer and would still be able to pull in some decent money, he has 5 kids and a few extra years in the league would better their future too.

The Browns are not hurting in cap space which is why I could see them doing something like this. Plus it's like a new clean slate that might instill an attitude in the players that things are going to change and they're going to try and make a better team going forward especially after how dismal last year was. Fitz is a good leader when it comes to that and players always seem to rally around him regardless of where he ends up. It might give a good confidence boost.

I'd obviously prefer Fitz in NY next year if they want to make a run for it. Who knows after that at that point Petty might be ready to go too.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

If the Browns release McCown they would carry $2.7 million of dead money for him this year. That makes very little sense to sign Fitz.

13. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I'm not fond of Fitz. He limits our receivers because he can't throw the deep ball.

angryjetsfan likes this.
  14. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

They wouldn't necessarily have to release him this year, have him backup Fitz or vice versa and develop a draft going forward. They have plenty of money to work with. McCown was banged up pretty badly at the end of last season given his age it could be seen as a safe play. The Browns could make a big play for Osweiler, RG3 or whoever as well. I don't see how having two veterans on the team with a fresh draft would hurt anything. It's more about buying time in that sense.

Obviously if they think McCown could be healthy enough to mentor a draft it's not necessary, but age comes into play there if it takes 2 or 3 years.

You can make an argument for many teams Fitz could go to. You could argue Denver might want him for a run or two at a Super Bowl with that defense especially if Osweiler walks (who could also go to Cleveland himself).

I think the Jets will find out there is a market for him it's just what the present QB picture has lead to.

I do think however this is more about the salary cap than not wanting to pay him, I'm sure they would pay him what he's asking if they weren't so backed up against the wall from their other contracts. Unless they draft or try Geno or Petty there aren't likely to be any bargain deals this year unfortunately.

15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

A prediction. Even if they lose Fitz to free agency Geno doesnt get another sniff at QB1.

The front office built up alot of credibility with the fanbase this year, and Geno is the most disliked Jet according to that Daily News poll from last week. The players don't have faith in him, the fans hate him. Any interest the Jets built in the team in 2015 will be squandered.

He will be traded/released and it will be a competition between Petty, another vet QB and a lower round 2016 draft pick.

Freddy Mondo and PickSix like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This made me sad for some reason. It was like watching a kid be told that Santa isn't real.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  18. Garrison Nauman

Garrison Nauman Active Member

osweiler just got caught by on video shoving a girl the day free agency starts lol, maybe we can sign him for cheap now ;)

19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

lol well this is a creative way to make a statement :)

HardHitta likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fitz can lose if mac decides not to wait to see what fitz comes back with.